Showdown in Houston over LGBT nondiscrimination ordinance

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Oct 25, 1:11 PM (ET)
By JUAN A. LOZANO and DAVID CRARY

HOUSTON (AP) — ...voters in the nation's fourth-largest city will soon decide whether to establish nondiscrimination protections for gay and transgender people.

Nationwide, there's interest in the Nov. 3 referendum: Confrontations over the same issue are flaring in many places, at the state and local level, now that nondiscrimination has replaced same-sex marriage as the No. 1 priority for the LGBT-rights movement.

"The vote in Houston will carry national significance," said Sarah Warbelow, legal director of the Human Rights Campaign, a national LGBT-rights group. She noted that Houston, with 2.2 million residents, is more populous than 15 states.

3 people like this

Posted

I will be glad when the time comes, when all these people screaching and screaming in trumped up "fear" realize how ignorant they sound, how ignorant they look, how ignorant they are.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hello Michael. Sadly, even here in the UK, there is so much ignorance about the Transsexual/Transgender/Transvestite Community, and even the Whole L.G.B.T. Community. My Own Wife, hates Me being Transsexual, yet She is having Sexual Relationship's, with Other Men and Women. We are only under the same roof, ( at the moment ), for the sake of Our 3 Special-Needs-Children. ( I hope to get out from here, fairly soon ! )  There is no need for ignorance. My whole take on life, is, that I Do NOT Care, what Race, Creed, Colour, Religion, Gender, or Sexuality, that a Person is. I take everybody as individual's !  Michael, Take Care Young Man. With My Very Best Wishes, Stephanie. xoxo 

Posted

Have I EVER caught PURE hell from the Sid Millar bunch in Texas . This FAT Red neck touting us as perverts made the mistake of finding me . He can send his Pick Up truck Tobacco chewing buddies at me all he wants . I will NOT back down on my support of an amendment to make Houston an "All inclusionary " city . 

2 people like this

Posted

Well, as we know , the religious Bigots spewed Fear and Damnation to the ignorant masses from Pulpits located off the Katy Freeway. As a few of you know , I USED to own an RV accessory manufacturing business there . As far as I'm concerned , the Governor hiss self could come BEGGING me to return to that city and my answer will be a "HELL NO "! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Ellen, ignorant masses is right. Most of those people, if queried, couldn't tell tell you anything about transgender people, much less know one. Amazing how gullible people are.

:angry:

1 person likes this

Posted

When I first told Felisha how this vote went she said "good", which needless to say surprised me.  I then asked her how this is good and she replied, "because it will send it to a higher court".  She sees it as part of the process of shifting it from a local fight to a national fight that will have greater support and greater ramifications.  Here's an updated report on the story...

Defeat of Houston LGBT-rights measure may have broad impact

Nov 4, 10:34 PM (ET)
By DAVID CRARY and JUAN A. LOZANO

HOUSTON (AP) — The landslide defeat of a nondiscrimination ordinance in Houston has stunned LGBT-rights activists across the nation. They're now bracing for their opponents in other states to seize on the successful tactic of stoking fears over transgender people's access to public restrooms.

By a 61-to-39-percent margin, voters in America's fourth largest city on Tuesday rejected a broad equal-rights ordinance — extending protections in employment, housing and public spaces on the basis of race, sexual orientation, gender identity and other categories. Opponents prevailed with a campaign that dubbed the measure "the bathroom ordinance" and raised the specter of male sexual predators invading women's restrooms.

The outcome was "a devastating blow to equality," said the Human Rights Campaign, a national group advocating for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.

"It's almost unbelievable that this could happen in a city like Houston," said the campaign's president, Chad Griffin. "But make no mistake: If we don't double down today, we'll face the same thing again and again in cities across the nation."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20151105/us-gay-rights-houston-fallout-708134c4a4.html

Posted

Why the obsession over bathrooms is the worst thing for transgender rights

A transgender American can be a sibling, parent, child, friend, co-worker and even part of the Kardashian clan. 

That is how far we've come in 2015: The stigma that once surrounded gender identity is giving way to compassionate conversations about a journey that can be so challenging, many people wait years or decades to embark on it publicly. 

Yet even as we inch closer to greater acceptance, a single but very emotional issue threatens to stall that progress: how and when transgender people use a public bathroom. 

Transgender people want the right to use the restroom that corresponds to their gender identity. Opponents, many of whom refuse to see a person's transition as genuine and legitimate, argue that it makes easy prey of women and girls who could be assaulted by men "disguised" as women. There's no evidence that this happens, but the fear of it is shaping local and national debates over public policy. 

​While privacy advocates have been outraged by the question of bathroom access, that stance seems hollow. They have not made the same fervent case about protecting women from rapists at work or at school, nor do they acknowledge that many transgender people actually fear using bathrooms of either gender because they frequently encounter harassment and violence when they do.

The bathroom panic also casts transgender people as capable of great harm by their very nature, when in fact, evidence shows the opposite. They regularly face discrimination and harassment and do not always enjoy the same rights as their fellow Americans, including equal access to employment, housing, education and health care. 

A 2011 survey of 6,450 transgender and gender non-conforming people found that 63% of respondents experienced "serious acts" of discrimination and 23% reported a "catastrophic" discrimination.

This is a long analysis and you'll find the rest of it here:

http://mashable.com/2015/11/06/transgender-equal-rights/#buXrwQbQRmqy