Petition Says, "Drop the T"

8 posts in this topic

Posted

An anonymous individual has begun a petition, demanding that the "T" be dropped from GLBT.  The individual has gone so far as to use the same scare tactics as those who claim the passage of "bathroom bills" will allow "men dressed as women" to enter womens' spaces to do them harm.  

This kind of thing, seemingly obviously the work of TERFs, will surely do only one thing - pit trans against gay.  And is just the kind of incohesiveness and deterioration the conservatives could use against us all to destroy future attempts at gaining equal footing with non-GLBT people, and could even make it easier to undo what advances have been achieved.  What the gay community (most likely primarily TERF-like individuals) is that this could cause their own achievements to unravel.

See  LGBT Groups Respond to Petition Asking to 'Drop the T'

2 people like this

Posted

I read the petition several days ago and did not sign it. There are some who feel that we should separate from LGB because our issues are different and we are ignored (vilified in some cases) by the LGB communities. I'm against the T being dropped because it would erase our history in the participation of movement such as Stonewall and the Dewey Lunch Counter Sit-in. People of color would be greatly affected by the T being dropped because they were at the forefront of some of the battles and are often the most victimized by violence. 

I was appalled when someone suggests that transgender hurt the movement for LGBT rights. I would remind this person that transgender people stood side by side with gays and lesbians at Stonewall back in 1969. The Dewey Lunch Counter Sit-In in 1965 in Philadelphia was a predominantly African American transgender and queer event. The Compton Cafeteria Riots a year later in San Francisco was transgender and drag queens standing up against police harassment.  

I'm bold enough to say that if transgender people had been involved in the problem solving of many LGBT organizations from the get go, we would be much further along. That a bold statement coming from me but I believe it. I defy anyone to tell me that trans people are hurting the movement for further LGBT rights. Heck, we were there from the beginning.

:)

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I'm bold enough to say that if transgender people had been involved in the problem solving of many LGBT organizations from the get go, we would be much further along. That a bold statement coming from me but I believe it. I defy anyone to tell me that trans people are hurting the movement for further LGBT rights. Heck, we were there from the beginning.

:)

I agree Gennee.  It would have been (and would be) hard for gay people, especially lesbians, to ignore trans people so easily had trans voices been allowed to be heard and be a part.  It amazes me how some of them have literally tried to erase trans history, or claim some of it as their own.  And when that is not a possibility, just invalidate and dismiss us all together.

I have in the past commented that I thought the "T" part of the community should pull out and organize alone, but logically, I know such a move would only hurt us.  Some perfer to blame other trans people for not being out and open and vocal... but trans people are not just fighting society, we also have to fight our way through the community.  And I don't mean the trans part of the community - I mean those gays who treat us as bad as (and in some cases worse than) the straight, cisgender part of society.

Edited by UsernameOptional
1 person likes this

Posted

Does anyone know how to start a petition on that site?  Extra points if theres a way to lis the new one with the old one.

Posted

offtopic.thumb.gif.b49a2911f430bd38cb5f1

I'm not sure what site you wish to start a petition on, but the petition in the article is located on change.org.

Whether the two petitions ("drop the T" and the new one) can be linked is probably something that could only be done in the accompanying narrative, providing a link to the referenced petition.

-Michael

Posted

Personally, I think the best way here is to ignore this ultimately meaningless "petition."  Just because they have it on change.org or something similar, it does not mean that the owner puts any value- I could start a petition tonight to change the LGBT flag colors to be orange, blue, and brown.  Doesn't mean it will garner any numbers (and a thousand or so signing the 'drop the t' isn't going to get anyone's attention.

Posted

On second thought, an idea- let's start a petition to drop the LGB from our T universe.  After all, what have they really done for use?

Posted (edited)

This petition was made on behalf of irrational and ignorant persons intent on premeditated malicious intent. Thinking back on the history of severing groups into smaller factions is militarily thousands of years old. It's called flanking. The intent is to create a diversion from the front and attack from the sides effectively splintering the group in smaller factions. When an army of ten thousand is spit into many smaller groups or factions, they are much easier to defeat than facing that army of ten thousand. This tactic is still used today militarily. The idea behind this petition is much the same. United we stand, as individuals we fall.

Edited by deannataylordouglas
the need to be more effective and efficiant verbaly.