Fresno advocates to host Transgender Day of Remembrance memorial

4 posts in this topic

Posted

22 transgender people have been killed this year in U.S., compared with 12 last year

One of those was ‘Casey’ or ‘Kenton Craig’ Haggard, who was stabbed to death in Fresno

Memorial Saturday at Unitarian Universalist Church of Fresno

Fresno supporters will host a memorial Saturday for the 10th annual Transgender Day of Remembrance.

Trans-E-Motion, a local support group for transgender people, will host the event starting at 6 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Fresno at 2672 E. Alluvial Ave. in northeast Fresno.

The focus is a memorial honoring transgender people who have died by suicide or hate crimes during the past year. The observance will include dance, spoken word and poetry performances, food, an art display and a resource fair. 

recent Guardian article said the number of murders of transgender or gender non-conforming people in the United States hit an all-time high this year: 22, compared with 12 last year, according to the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs. That’s despite increased mainstream visibility through transgender celebrities such as Caitlyn Jenner and Laverne Cox of the cable television series “Orange Is the New Black.”

Transgender Day of Remembrance is observed internationally each year. But this year hits close to home for Fresno advocates because among those killed was “Casey” or “Kenton Craig” Haggard

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article44762481.html

1 person likes this

Posted

Hiya Charlie. Here in the United Kingdom, TDOR is also being recognised. The nearest to Me being at Milton Keynes Civic Offices, in Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom, from 19:00 hour's, to 21:00 hour's.  It Is being supported by Milton Keynes Council; Pink Punters - Lesbian; Gay; Bi-Sexual; Transgender Nightclub; and Thames Valley Police.  The 20th. November TDOR, is also in the Spotlight in Yorkshire in the UK, because a Transgender Lady, took Her own Life, in the last few day's, in Leeds Male Prison, in West Yorkshire.  The Authorities should Not have put this Lady into a Male Prison !!  With Regards, Stephanie. 

Posted

I have yet to be to a vigil but my thoughts are with those who have passed.  I guess the higher rate of murders of transgenders is due to the increased numbers of those coming out.  The number of murders of anyone is way to high.  Suicides is another matter and is also way too high.

Bonnie

1 person likes this