The First Black Trans Model Had Her Face on a Box of Clairol

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I found this delightful article this morning.  What a wonderful - and yes, tragic - story about Tracey “Africa” Norman. She was quite a groundbreaker, “I’ve always said that the person that walks through the door first leaves the door cracked. There was a perception that a transgender woman couldn’t be passable and work in fashion magazines and land contracts. I proved that wrong. I left the door cracked for other [transgender people] to walk through.”

Let's all leave the door open just another crack.  Each day, even the tiniest and unmeasurable crack builds, becomes larger, and eventually opens the door for all.

4 people like this

Posted

And just think... the world didn't tip off it's axis, Clairol didn't go bankrupt, and there weren't thousands of little kids "traumatised" or confused.  

Sorta goes to prove that sometimes, it's only what you know that you can allow to hurt you.  But I can't help but wonder how many people in her past, still alive today, have blown out blood vessels in their foreheads learning that they had been working with, and I'm sure in some cases smitten with, a transgender woman.

Makes me wanna giggle like a little girl just thinking about it... but a good hearty chuckle will do.  :lol::lol:

4 people like this

Posted

I missed the post before.

It;s great that she was a groundbreaker on the clairol box.  Does anyone know where she is today?

1 person likes this

Posted

"Does anyone know where she is today?" --Christine

I tried to google Ms Norman upon seeing your question.  Despite being a model, perhaps even still being somewhat active, it appears she is a very private person as I could find little on her other than the various media that covered the news story on her from December 2015.  I wonder what prompted the story.....

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hiya Emma, Mikey, and Christine. It just goes to show, that Race; Creed; Colour; Religion; Gender; Sexuality; Disability; Ability; Do Not Matter. Tracey "Africa" Norman, was obviously a Ground- breakerbreaker. Good on Her. I would wish that Wherever Tracey Norman is now, I just hope that the Lass is Both Fit and Well. Good on Clairol too !  Why should there be Any reason, why Tracey should Not have been in the Fashion Industry. The one Black Transsexual Post-Op Female Who I have Personally been introduced to, was Very Beautiful. I told Her at the time, that She would make a great Glamour Model. As You can read above, I Am Not prejudice at All. Besides, I Am a Transsexual Myself. Wherever Tracey Norman is Now, I wish Her All Good wishes. Emma, Mikey, and Christine, Take Care. With My Very Best Wishes, Stephanie. xx 

Edited by Steph53
1 person likes this