A Plea for Awareness, not Segregation (the public restroom debate)

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Conservatives want to bring about a new era of segregation by either forcing trans people to use separate public restrooms/facilities or degrading us into using facilities opposite our true gender. If this upsets you as much as it does me, speak up! Write/email/tweet/msg your local and state legislators, and spread the word...   http://goo.gl/TVIIq4

2 people like this

Posted

Dear Christi,

I'm delighted to be the first to welcome you to TGGuide.  Just now I took a look at your website and I'm very glad you've joined our group.  We have a very nice variety of people here, both FTM and MTF, those who intend to or have transitioned to those who have no intentions and/or are exploring their persistent gender feelings and concerns - which I'm sure we're all too familiar with.  I'd add an exclamation point there but, frankly, it's not funny or humorous - it just is what it is.  

We're a loving, caring, and accepting group and I hope to hear your voice more in the forums and elsewhere.

Hugs,

Emma

2 people like this

Posted

Hiya Christie. I Am Stephanie. Welcome to TGGuide. I Am a 54 Year-Old Male-to-Female Transitioning Transsexual. I Am Fully; Full-Time; Female-Dresse . And Living. I Am also Registered Disabled, with Mobility Problem's, and I have been so for Many, Many, Year's. The Restroom Debate. Well I Am able to use Disabled Restroom's, but, otherwise I use Female Restroom's. I will Not use Male Restroom's, any more ! Christie, the more acceptance that there is for the " Transsexual/Transgender/Transvestite/Cross-Dresser " Communities, the Better. Christie, I hope to Speak with You, regularly on TGGuide. Good Health, Good Luck, Take Care, And My Very Best Wishes, Stephanie. 

1 person likes this

Posted

The bathroom thing gets to me too.  I know many places do not offer gender nuetral bathrooms and that is hard as I do not always present female.  This makes it really uncomfortable to use MEN's rooms.  I would love to see more awareness and more understanding about the bathroom issue.  Thanks for this post.

3 people like this

Posted

It doesn't affect me much personally, but I totally agree with you and wish that all bathrooms were gender neutral. Another approach along those lines might be to have small, individual/private bathrooms with no male/female specificity. Actually, that's what I'd like. Why do bathrooms have to be public/shared anyway?

2 people like this

Posted

I personally feel that people's insistence on bathrooms matching genitals is weird and wonder if they all have some sort of weird bathroom feelings I don't.  Let people pee where they are comfortable for goodness sakes.  They all have stalls with locking doors, we all have a bit of privacy in there.  No one cares what anyone is doing in the next stall really.  I think the vast majority of us are trying to desperately not notice at all that there is anyone else in there with us in the first place!  I don't care whose using what bathroom as long as they are leaving me in peace to do what I need to and get the heck out.  Oh, and there needs to be toilet paper.  I must be insistent on that point.

3 people like this

Posted

I am a volunteer for Equality Virginia . Tuesday , February 9th , I and a small delegation got the attention of a few KEY Delegates who in turn , blocked the combination of Senators Cole and Marshall who wanted FINES and jail for any trans person using a public restroom in Virginia

Ellen the lobbyist 2-9-2016  1.JPG

Trans hate bills 2016 Virginia.jpg

LobbyDay08 with Guy kinman in front.jpg

5 people like this

Posted

great work, congratulations, and thank you on behalf of everyone, trans or otherwise, to work against and help stop any such kind of draconian, repressive, narrow minded legislation.

4 people like this

Posted

I don't care where you fall on the Sex and Gender rainbow . hastily drawn bills designed to segregate or excude any group have a way of reaching VERY UNINTENDED groups after awhile ..............................................

4 people like this

Posted

That's very true, Ellen. Unfortunately many people don't consider this.

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks for your efforts!  I am soooo glad to have moved to DC...

3 people like this

Posted

Christine , I actually tried living in the district . Finding a parking place within 15 blocks was a rarity after working a 12 hr shift . trash everywhere ,crime , transient people , the traffic on the beltway , nope , I'll let you have the whole place

2 people like this

Posted

Christine , I actually tried living in the district . Finding a parking place within 15 blocks was a rarity after working a 12 hr shift . trash everywhere ,crime , transient people , the traffic on the beltway , nope , I'll let you have the whole place

​Yeah, parts of the city are rough.  I stick to NW and the Dupont area (and Freddies in Crystal City) as best I can.

2 people like this

Posted

Ellen, what a beautiful picture of you in Washington, D.C.!

2 people like this

Posted

Monica , the building in the back is the Capital of Virginia . Thomas Jefferson did indeed design the original building and wings were added later . Each wing houses either the Senate or the House of delegates . I'll get in fer a tour when ya get into "Dodge ".....................

2 people like this

Posted

Ellen, please accept my apology for my error.  Have the highest regard for Thamoas Jefferson!

2 people like this

Posted

Monica , as I said , I'll get ya a tour if ya get down here . I'll contact Senator Chase .................

2 people like this