Transgender Studies Quarterly

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I recently became aware of this relatively new publication from Duke University: Transgender Studies Quarterly, which I'm seriously considering subscribing to.  They have a sample edition on line that is very interesting.  I'm about halfway through and found this within an article about "Cross-Dresser(s)":

The bottom line is that in Western Euro-American cultures there is a sense in which the cross-dresser, especially the out cross-dresser, is the true gender outlaw. Of all the members of the transgender community, broadly understood as those who defy the identity of birth-designated sex with lived gender, she or he refuses one gender and moves back and forth at will, thereby demonstrating the constructed and essentially artificial nature of the bi-gender dichotomy. Unfortunately, the censure laid on cross-dressers keeps the majority firmly in the closet where they are politically unable to become the sort of force needed by the transgender movement. Should the walls between the genders weaken and become more permeable, it is the cross-dresser who will demonstrate that one can have more than one gender. 

I think this also speaks to the discussions around transexuals insisting that those who would not transition aren't "truly transgender." Indeed, over time, I think we will see that those who do not or have no intention to transition (such as myself) will feel more free to be ourselves in public. It's off topic (and doesn't really matter) but one then has to wonder: what will be the percentage splits within the transgender community? 

As I read further in TSQ, there's an article titled "Guerrilla." Another interesting quote:

I get to write this, and you get to read it, because this journal exists. It’s an altogether astonishing moment. Beginnings are delicate times when the foundation stones of the edifice you’re building are still visible; maybe if we take a look around now, we can save ourselves some trouble later. 

Further along in the same article...

And we’re very early in that moment. Keep in mind that no one working in transgender studies has a degree in transgender studies. That’s how close to the origin of our discipline we are. This is the way zeroth-generation disciplines work. The value in that particular fact for us is that trans studies is still coalescing. We don’t yet have a canon or a bunch of old folks telling us what the field is or what counts as its discourse and who gets to say stuff about and within it. But soon enough we will, as surely as the night follows the day, and you can count on that. 

Exciting times we live in!

Hugs,

Emma

Edited by EmmaSweet
2 people like this

Posted

"I think this also speaks to the discussions around transexuals insisting that those who would not transition aren't "truly transgender." Indeed, over time, I think we will see that those who do not or have no intention to transition (such as myself) will feel more free to be ourselves in public."   --Emma

I have always been of the opinion, that if there was no social discrimination and stigma, the need to even go as far as chemical transition could become simply a matter of choice or preference (like hair colour, or style of dress) for many of us and not something needed to try to fit in, or to try to prove who we are, or to try to get others to better accept us.

Posted

I've thought of that too, Mike, but also assumed that that thought may come from my lack of need to transition. For me it's not the driving and all consuming force that it seems to be for so many. Regardless it would be wonderful if we all could just be. Ourselves.

i think we are getting closer. I recall for example > 30 years ago when my ex-wife and I used to go camping at a gay resort in Northern California. We just enjoyed the nice camping, the food, and hanging out with some close friends who happened to be gay. Indeed they were! It was a joyous celebration to be themselves, for a short time. They had a blast.

But that resort is no longer. The need for it died as public acceptance of gays and lesbians emerged. I hope and feel we will achieve a similar state in my lifetime.

Posted

I am part of  species that: 1) Has members that are perfectly healthy in every aspect physically yet  the spend they're lives in wheelchairs because they feel "happier" as a "cripple". 2) members who MODIFY they're bodies with foreign materials to bring forth horns and forked tongues and spines down they're backs. 3) members who pierce they're flesh and hang themselves from the rafters. 4) members who sit in hours of agony to drive ink into the dermis, for beauty, for tribute, to make a social statement. 5) members who CRAVE pain. 6) members that think because someone voted for them they actually TRUST them (Out of all the examples, to me this is the scariest).  6) people that jump of bridges and buildings and cliffs, for fun. We also do all kinds of other WHACK things like build MIRV's, tolerate reality TV stars and volunteer to stay behind in the OR because a person has a live RPG round in them! (Talk about better angels)  

I don't think the medical or the general population has anymore of a problem with Trans Persons than they do with serial Shop Lifters! But there ARE members of my species out there that have no problem exploiting other peoples suffering for they're own personal gain. Not that this also hasn't been resolved by science. We all know that predators strive to prey upon the most exposed members of a community. It's what makes THEM happy.

I also am a member of a species that won't give you a job with out an education, but they have NO PROBLEM letting you vote!