Writer Bryn Kelly, Dead of Apparent Suicide

4 posts in this topic

Posted

By Cleis Abeni
January 18 2016 12:46 PM EST

"A writer of fiction, essays, columns, and book reviews, Kelly, an Ohio native, moved to New York City after a stint in Michigan. Kelly was, at one time, active within the Femme Collective, and she participated in Baltimore's 2012 Femme Conference. In her tribute, Branlandingham spoke of how Kelly was also a vital part of the "Femme Family," a community to which both Kelly and Branlandingham belonged."  -advocate.com

Literary Community Mourns Trans Writer Bryn Kelly

3 people like this

Posted

How tragic that, for all of her gifts and spirit, she felt so inescapably lost or oppressed that she committed suicide. I'm very sorry to read this. It's a good reminder that despite outward appearances we need to look and appreciate what is going on at a deeper level.

2 people like this

Posted

I met Bryn two days before her suicide. She started her first day as facilitator for our trans women discussion group. We liked her and I heard that she really liked us. I looked forward to the next meeting. It was not to be. I went to a memorial service where a thousand people showed up. Her loss was felt by many. Bryn's life touched many. I just wish that we could have held her up during her struggles. 

:(

3 people like this

Posted

I hope this gentle warrior is sleeping peacefully. I have no reservations about calling her a "warrior". I understand the kind of fight she was waging. In the Human experience the "wounded" have often sacrificed themselves so that their Comrades can get to safety or launch a counter attack. So we will remember her and fight the good fight, in her name, in our children's name, and for those who will follow them. I will honor her sacrifice. When a transgender person does something like this, some may view it as someone who has given up. I view them as a person  who is intrepid. 

I do not condone IN ANY WAY suicide. To those that contemplate it,, I will tell them the same thing I have OFTEN told myself. STEP BACK. Someone needs you. Someone loves you. I am glad I did step back. I am glad they stepped back. 

1 person likes this