Patrons Praise Gender-Neutral Bathroom

12 posts in this topic

Posted

By Daniel Reynolds
January 13 2016 4:24 PM EST

"“Our community got really small-minded when it decided to breakdown this very inclusionary ordinance to just who is using the restroom next to me and what sex they are,” Ghazi told Comer. “The sole focus became restrooms and locker rooms. This is such a bigger human rights issue than just who’s in the stall next to you. It’s none of your business.”"  --advocate.com

Patrons Praise a Pizza Shop's Gender-Neutral Bathroom

4 people like this

Posted

Hello Mikey. Our local Saintsbury's Supermarket, has Gender-Neutral Restroom's, which they have had for several year's now. Nobody seems to complain about it at all. Good on Saintsbury's for doing this. ( I Am officially registered Disabled, with Mobility problem's, so I can use Disabled Restroom's around the Country as well. ) However, as I Am a MtF Transitioning Transsexual, I do use Female Restroom's as well, especially as I Am Ful-Time Female-Living, and Dressed.  I go to Pink Punters Nightclub, which is a Full L.G.B.T. Friendly location, and All their Restroom's are Gender-Neutral. I think that All Restroom Facilities should be Gender-Neutral. Besides, We All have to answer "The Call Of Nature", at different times during the day !  Mikey, Thank You Very Much for bringing this article to Our attention. Mikey, Take Care, With My Very Best Wishes, Love Stephanie. xx 

1 person likes this

Posted

Ya know, while this is a good move by the pizza place in the article, mainly because they did it intentionally to meet the needs of the many, it's amazing how totally innocuous single-use, gender-neutral bathrooms were before all the haters and nay-sayers started screaming about "bathroom bills," and nazi bathroom storm troopers started coming out of the woodwork turning someone who simply needs to use the bathroom into a suspect of some kind of covert attempt to get into women's restrooms and do them harm.

-Michael

4 people like this

Posted

Hey Mike,

Taking down another brick from the wall. One by one they're falling. 

The article stirred some emotions in me, too. 

Warm hugs,

Emma

2 people like this

Posted

Well, I  suppose I won't get praise for this, but if the schools stuck to bathrooms and leave locker rooms to another day, I think they'd find it easier to navigate through this issue.  Also- what is wrong with a separate bathroom designated for trans kids?  I don't think that makes them 'lose their rights' or something.  Just a thought.

3 people like this

Posted

In some ways, I sort of agree with Christine that if we leave the schools out of it until the dust settles, by then, it won't be such a big deal.  At the same time however, I believe that having different/seperate bathrooms for trans kids is no different than when this country had different/seperate bathrooms for black and white people.  It's discriminatory... plain and simple.

But yeah... I understand we have to start somewhere.

2 people like this

Posted

I just use at the central library where I go the disabled toilet  exactly in mid section from females to males toilets. But on the days I go fully in mood & dressed in heels to females washroom. But than also I go to the local gym and sometimes in men's change room to other days in fem change rooms, there is no 3rd option to put it simply. One has to change themselves in order to accommodate surroundings.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, I  suppose I won't get praise for this, but if the schools stuck to bathrooms and leave locker rooms to another day, I think they'd find it easier to navigate through this issue.  Also- what is wrong with a separate bathroom designated for trans kids?  I don't think that makes them 'lose their rights' or something.  Just a thought.

What separate bathrooms for trans kids does is single them out. In some areas it may put them in harm's way for bullying or worse.

3 people like this

Posted

Maybe we need to teach trans kids how to balance it out in both washrooms straight up!

1 person likes this

Posted

This smacks of the "Reasoning in Gloucester Virginia where a friend of mine , HS senior Gavin Grimm has appeared on the news with me lately . Yes, Gavin thus far has had to use a "Separate , but equal " Faculty only single stall restroom . Problem is , the location is far away from any classes Mr . Grimm attends . In using this , it makes Grim m tardy . Larger than that , Gavin LOOKS male ! This is not to say the Trannier than thou holds water . Still, physical appearances will carry you in areas just being one gender may not . Yes, "Family or unisex restrooms are fine , but placed alongside the segregated rooms is the only acceptable way . 

1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe we need to teach trans kids how to balance it out in both washrooms straight up!

Not all children are gender fluid, bi-gender or genderless, and therefore no reason to teach [all] trans kids to use both bathrooms.  And as far as using both, I see only those who are gender fluid having reason to use both bathrooms.  Everyone else should be able to pick one or the other and stick with it.

Until all hang-ups with who uses what bathroom, the conservatives come off their fear-mongering, and we can all just go to the bathroom whether gay, trans, male or female, we really shouldn't toss more confusion into the mix.  Nor should we try to convince [trans] children to be both male and female if that is not what they are.  Not all trans people want to present as one gender and maintain another.

-Michael

1 person likes this

Posted

Transgender community of people are such unique great group of people where after sitting, talking, participation in speeches etc. I see no one type of transgender person is like another. They are all diverse & unique to each other. 

I was merely reaching out to those members who are not used to using male only washrooms & than going into female only washrooms.  I must stress in use both washrooms when need arises. That said I totally have re-synchronize myself before going in. As to what clothes am I wearing. I don't think I have ever been to female washroom dressed in male clothing or vice versa!  

As for the news lately, children will have to adapt in hardcore areas, where access is available those children will be lucky!  It's a choice everyone has to make.

I can only speak for myself and I wish all newcomers to think ahead of the actions they make before.

1 person likes this