"Her Story"

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I saw this article on Huffington Post this morning, which has a link to the series on YouTube. In some ways predictable but nonetheless fun, especially for trans-women. It's a "series" but there are only six episodes and each is less than ten minutes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/this-amazing-web-series-is-reimagining-the-way-trans-stories-are-told_us_569e5804e4b0cd99679b568f?utm_hp_ref=transgender

Edited by EmmaSweet
3 people like this

Posted

Nikki had been trying to get me to watch this since before I found out.  Now looking back on the last few months I realize he'd begun leaking truth all over the place, but without context there wasn't much I could do for it.  So I did sit down and watch it with him.  Parts were great, like Vi's growth in making her life better, and parts were really sad (like we don't have enough deal with without turning on each other, Nikki explained the word terf to me in context for those really hateful two women), and I really want Paige to be one of my best friends. 

I think I wanted more from it than a six episode 10 minute story could deliver.  WHen I did watch it it was in the context of trying understand Nikki.  So I was looking for a lot of diversity among people, and the small cast was frustrating to my needs at the time.  That is totally a me issue, but there it is.  I want a series that shows a broader range of life experiences among both the transgendered and their familys/spouses, as they go through life I guess.  This is not surprising, I usually want more from tv shows than they can give me.  I'm a greedy girl.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm a greedy girl too, and I agree with your observations. I wonder if you and Nikki have watched Transparent? I watched a couple of episodes and it didn't do it for me. I almost feel traitorous for saying that considering all the rave reviews. Maybe I just needed to give it more of a chance. I'm an impatient girl too!

I wanted to see The Danish Girl at the theater but my wife didn't want to so know I'm waiting to rent it on iTunes. I expect it will be very historical and pull at my heart strings, and the acting and all will be top notch. That said, I don't know if it will "do it for me either!" I did see The Martian and while it had nothing to do with TG it was awesome!

1 person likes this

Posted

I have not seen it, lemme ask if he has.  He says he has not either.  Getting me to watch anything that doesn't involve ghosts is sort of a major challenge for Nikki.  *innocent smiles*  A lot of my problem with entertainment selections is the add, I have to be VERY engaged.  I just dont' do well sitting and watching something, it's why I tend to while my free hours away with a video game or internetting, the interactivity works for my mind. 

2 people like this

Posted

We haven't watched it. The trans people I follow on twitter were ok with the first season but absolutely loathed the second. That kind of killed my interest in it but what really did it was our Prime membership lapsing and we don't use it enough to make it worth it. 

2 people like this

Posted

Did we use it at all?  I don't really remember Prime.

1 person likes this

Posted

Did we use it at all?  I don't really remember Prime.

​We used Prime a few times for the free shipping, but the video service we used a total of 6 times over the year. It's so poorly organized that we couldn't hardly find anything to watch. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I liked it, my life experience is similar to the 2 trans girls

1 person likes this

Posted

I just finished watching the 6 episodes and they flew threw so much but I still liked it.  I liked the statement "Don't let others define who you are."   I do that.  It is something that is difficult to break out of when I still have fear in my heart.  I am getting better though.   My ex asked me the other day if I know that I can never be a woman even if I had the surgery.  I knew there was no point in trying to make her understand.  I had tried a number of times before.  The thing is she is not the only one who thinks like that.  The other thing I find interesting is how many people who have been prejudiced against for whatever reason can be as prejudicial as those they had issues with while growing up.

Bonnie

2 people like this