S.Dakota Trans Bathroom Bill - Proposed, Vetoed

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Saw this off of tumblr posted by one of my favorite comic authors Gail Simone:

This Is Bad

South Dakota has voted to pass a bill, HB 1008, that deliberately targets Transgender students for humiliation and potential abuse. It prevents them from access to the bathrooms and locker rooms befitting their identities.

This is straight-up fearmongering, and it’s going to cause more pain for a group that is already the target of way, way too much horseshit already. If the governor passes it into law, it will be legally mandated discrimination and the deliberate inflicting of emotional and physical harm. 

Please take a moment and read this link. And thank you to the wonderful Sophia Banks for spreading awareness and always being on the frontline of decent human behavior.

Anyway, here's the link

http://transgenderlawcenter.org/archives/12496

Either ​way you look at it, this is not the way to go about it. I'm sure the excuse is to 'protect' students but this isn't going to do it. 

2 people like this

Posted

nikki, I agree with you and think the best solution, clear of politics and controversy, is to have gender neutral bathrooms or little private, individual bathrooms with doors and locks instead of communal bathrooms.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hiya Nikki, and Bluemoon. South Dakota, is going against everything, that USA President Barak Obama, has been trying to promote, for Transgender/Transsexual People. Even as a MtoF Transitioning Transsexual Myself, living here in The U.K., I can see The Deep Flaws in this. This attitude, is ALL Wrong. Barak Obama should step in, and overrule it ! Those of Us who are TS/TG, did Not ask to be born in the Wrong Gender. Nor should We be Punished for it ! Nikki, Thank You Very Much, for making awareness of this " Cruel " ruling.      Nikki, and Bluemoon, Take Care. With My Very Best Wishes, Stephanie. xx 

Posted

PIERRE, S.D. - South Dakota would be the first state in the U.S. to approve a law requiring transgender students to use bathrooms and locker rooms that correspond to their sex at birth if the governor signs a bill passed Tuesday by the state Senate.

The Senate voted 20-15 to send the bill to Republican Gov. Dennis Daugaard, who initially responded positively to the measure but said last week he'd need to study it more before making a decision.

Advocates say the bill is meant to protect the privacy of students, but opponents say it discriminates against vulnerable adolescents. CBS affiliate KELO in Sioux Falls reports that those opposed say that in addition to the likelihood it will lead to bullying, they also question the constitutionality of the bill and fear it will cost the state millions in lawsuits.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-dakota-passes-bill-bathrooms-transgender-students/

1 person likes this

Posted

What a tragedy. I read about this morning and was worried.

Posted

That's OK Lords & Ladies of the South Dakota Government. We KNOW that in your VILE, EVIL, self centered, homophobic minds, you really despise the people you "rule" over. Hey, that's your bag. No worries. Your children will grow up to hate and distrust the government of the people, because YOU STOLE it from them, just as surely as you stole South Dakota from the people of the first nations. Maybe you'll pass one of those "Check the Panties" laws so that you can subject little children to UNLAWFUL SEARCH & SEIZURE. 

Politicians used to just sicken me. Now they anger me. Would be EPIC to have a minion of one of the the South Dakota Lords & Ladies (Do they even HAVE any women in the government there? It would NOT surprise me if they don't! :) Yeah, having someone go all Snowden with they're e-mails would be fun I think. I'd do it myself, but hey, why should I have all the fun right? :) Government systems are EASY to exploit. It's the government! :) Look who runs that freakin' clown show? He got punked by Iranians. That's just lame. I can still hear Vlad Putin laughing at O-Bozo ! :) 

Posted

I read about it yesterday. A real shame. This may put transgender students in a precarious situation and open to bullying.

:(

Posted

"Republican Sen. David Omdahl urged other legislators Tuesday to support the bill to "preserve the innocence of our young people.""  -- cbsnews.com

So... is Omdahl implying that transgender kids are just, what?  Miniature versions of adult trans people whom they equate to perverts and pedophiles?  Transgender kids are just chomping at the bit to get into bathrooms to molest their schoolmates?   Or perhaps they think their own cisgender students will be the ones "posing" as trans so they can sneak into the bathroom they don't belong in?

Can only be one or the other.. surely can't have it both ways.

:angry:

1 person likes this

Posted

By not accepting trans as real they think that there is only one case, which is the latter. 

Posted

This one strikes me as equally bad for both trans and cis kids.  Not forgive me if I'm not understanding properly, but this is the one granting the rights of teachers/administrators to actually look at students genitals?  What stops a creepy teacher from using this as an excuse to harass a student that just takes his fancy?  Not all teachers are good people.  Strict student/teacher interaction rules are so  important for the protection of both.  This just makes all kids vulnerable I think.

Posted

"This one strikes me as equally bad for both trans and cis kids.  Not forgive me if I'm not understanding properly, but this is the one granting the rights of teachers/administrators to actually look at students genitals?  What stops a creepy teacher from using this as an excuse to harass a student that just takes his fancy?  Not all teachers are good people.  Strict student/teacher interaction rules are so  important for the protection of both.  This just makes all kids vulnerable I think."  -- Briannah

WOW!!  I never thought about that.  NEVER.  And that is a good point.  Ya know... just like "they" can accuse us of being the dastardly kind, well... I think this kind of thing could be more likely to happen than for one of us to go in a bathroom or locker room just for kicks.

WOW!!  Way to slam some fear-mongering back at them.

Posted

I have to think about things like that.  After I got out of my creeptastic first marriage and into therapy, I was in group therapy with other abused women, and I learned a lot about how bad the world is.  This rule scares me for ALL kids, who are all inherently vulnerable in an adult authority-figure/child situation. 

And let's just say that Bree's daddy issues started early, when he thought it was a good idea to bring her to his mistresses place rather than abstain from the affair he was having on days he was supposed to watch his three year old daughter, and they'd met when she was in his high school history class.   So...I have a perspective here. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Mar 3, 9:03 AM EST

US_SOUTH_DAKOTA_DAUGAARD%3FSITE%3DSCAND%
Buy AP Photo Reprints
spacer.gifap_photo_promo.jpg

A

PIERRE, S.D. (AP) -- When South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard vetoed a bill this week that would have required transgender students to use bathrooms and locker rooms that match their sex at birth, it wasn't his first break with members of his Republican Party.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SOUTH_DAKOTA_DAUGAARD?SITE=SCAND&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&SECTION=HOME

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Anyone want to chime in on the Anti LGBT Bill in Georgia that was vetoed ??? Rumor has it that delta airlines threatened Boycott has had a LOT to do do with it . Once again kinds , lets replay one of my FAVORITE Albums , Power Windows by Rush and the HIT SONG - BIG MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by EShaver