life The Challenge of Being Transgender in a Nursing Home

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Just read an article The Challenge of Being Transgender in a Nursing Home. I wonder how many transgender people think about if and when they need assisted living and have not had surgery how will they cope with an environment that may not permit them to carry on as prior to moving to assisted living.

I am sure some think that "I have my own home and will never need assisted living" but I see this as a falsehood because their home may not be okay for quality of life. Some where in the article they mention a person who moves into assisted living and surmise that within a week or less time their true gender is discovered e.g. a bath is given to them, that is a sure fire way to be discovered or in some cases "outed" and not in a pleasant manner.

Another part of the article talks about how some cross-dressers and transgender forego health care in fear they will be outed in one or more ways.

The article also mentioned there are 700,000 plus transgender people in the US and some are learned from various reports from say Social Security or census.

So if you have not consider this it might be time to do so. I have as the females in my family generally live to over 90 years old. My mother is 94, still living at home with my brother but if something happened to him she would need assisted living. 

Thinking of myself, even after surgery I could have issues but would guess much less than a cisgender male living as a female without any surgeries and the same for a cisgender female living as a male.

Food for thought. 

3 people like this

Posted

Thinking of myself, even after surgery I could have issues but would guess much less than a cisgender male living as a female without any surgeries and the same for a cisgender female living as a male.

Okay, i'm confused by this sentence.  My understanding of cisgender was someone who is comfortable living in the gender role of their assigned body.  Would a man living as a woman or a female living as a male be called cisgender just because they didn't opt for surgery?

2 people like this

Posted

LOL  I'm just trying to learn the lingo so I can follow conversations and not be sitting here going "WHAT IN ALL THE TURTLES OF THE WORLD DOES THIS MEAN NOW???"  :)  Communication is best when both sides of the conversation understand the language I've found. :)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Dear Karen,

MUST READING FOR ALL!

Thank you for bringing this VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE to our members, as we age, this may become a very real issue for all of us.  This applies also to senior apartment complexes and assisted living facilities, as well as senior social groups (many run out of nursing homes or assisted living facilities.

Presently, I live in a senior apartment complex, and find that even though it is very homo and transphobic, many of the tenants are very angry and bitter about how the end of their lives are playing out.  Sadly, they take their anger out on each other, using any difference as an excuse to bully others.  You would be AMAZED how much bullying goes on in facilities that cater to the aging!

God forbid I much enter such a place where I must share my living space with another, I would welcome a transwoman!

Yours truly,

Monica

Edited by MonicaPz