North Carolina's HB2 Anti-GLBT Bill

53 posts in this topic

Posted

Trudy Ring | April 25 2016 9:40 PM EDT
"“How many tourists and lobbyists carry their birth certificate when they go to capitol?” she added. “If they are going to check my birth certificate, they damn well check everybody’s birth certificate. And if they check my anatomy, they have to check everybody else’s. That is how this country works — laws have to be enforced equally.”"  --advocate.com

Trans Activist Mara Keisling Arrested at N.C. Protest

Captre.thumb.JPG.7f8bce16f3f670b09c6ca6a

1 person likes this

Posted

Stephen Peters | May 4, 2016
"The letter lays out the Department of Justice’s determination that HB 2 puts Governor McCrory and the state government in violation of federal employment law (Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964) should the state comply with its recently enacted law.  The letter also states that public schools and universities that comply are in violation of federal education law (Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972).  If the state insists on implementing HB 2, it is now on notice that it risks a lawsuit by the Department of Justice. Further, for universities this puts 4.5 billion dollars in federal education funding at risk and endangers other federal funding streams as well.  Read more about how this bill puts Title IX funding at risk here."  --hrc.org

BREAKING : U.S. Justice Department Says HB2 Violates Federal Law, Gives Gov. McCrory Monday Deadline

1 person likes this

Posted

The buzz at Faceless Book has ole Pat fuming now that they have a Monday 5--9-2016 deadline to do something

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks like he just might have to get over it somehow....

1 person likes this

Posted

North Carolina governor leads lawsuit over LGBT rights

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina filed a lawsuit Monday against the federal government in a fight for a state law that limits protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

Gov. Pat McCrory’s administration filed the lawsuit seeking to keep in place the law the U.S. Justice Department said last week violated the civil rights of transgender people.

The Justice Department had set a deadline of Monday for McCrory to report whether he would refuse to enforce the last that took effect in March.

McCrory’s defiance could risk funding for the state’s university system and lead to a protracted legal battle.

More here: http://www.salon.com/2016/05/09/north_carolina_governor_leads_lawsuit_over_lgbt_rights/

1 person likes this

Posted

North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory Faces Monday Deadline on LGBT Law

North Carolina on Monday filed a lawsuit against the federal government in response to a letter from the Justice Department that gave the state until the end of the day to scrap a controversial law regarding access to public bathrooms or risk losing hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding.

Gov. Pat McCrory was given until Monday to notify the Justice Department that he would not enforce House Bill No. 2, which the federal government says limits protections for LGBT people. The measure has drawn a firestorm of protest from across the country.

More here: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/north-carolina-gov-pat-mccrory-faces-monday-deadline-lgbt-law-n570396

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I know this isn't what people want to hear but these things need to be taken into consideration or the transgender community will continue to face unneeded opposition.

In this video I talk about the different dynamic in the women's room and men's room. A dynamic that needs to be protected. Can be protected. Even addressing the needs of some transgender people. The largest piece is we need to know what that means. We put forward a bill that says "Transgender" but what do they mean by that? Who does that cover? What are the defining parameters that determine you are transgender within this particular piece of legislation? Often they are written with a certain assumption. A certain idea of what transgender means and most often they are thinking of the binary male or female trans person who seeks standardized treatment. Never have I seen a definition given though. Simply the word transgender. We need to be smarter. We need to be honest in the conversations and these things become much more clear as to good solutions.

We are asking for use of things based on our gender identity. We are asking the general public to understand that there is a distinct difference between a person's gender, how we process information, and a person's sex, their physical make up. We should also be teaching that is true for all people and not just transgender people. 

Now prove to me what your gender is. Tell me how we make the determination of someone's gender in a legal sense. The problem with much of what we are asking is that we are requiring no proof. Giving no guidelines or parameters and thus we are asking for a co-ed environment in reality. No one knows anyone's gender unless we tell them. We just assume people's gender by what we see, but many of us should know that what we see doesn't always suggest to others our true gender. Within legislation you typically need a burden of proof so that if a situation were to arise it can be resolved. A legal stating of gender in some manner that isn't just a matter of taking someone's word for it. If we wish to have an honor system for our gender identity then we need to understand that honor system will be abused. If we could trust people to be on there honor we wouldn't need laws.

#transgender #thetransgendermovement

Edited by EricaRavenwood
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This is the complete Audio Block. Understand that I was frustrated by people's misunderstanding of basics that need to be understood before we start demanding things.

#transgender #thetransgendermovement

Edited by EricaRavenwood
1 person likes this

Posted

There's been no mention of the carry letter for folks in transition during this fight.  And Bill Maher took the position that it was pretty simple, if you look like a girl use the girls room, etc.  But then there's the thing of being clocked, passing unnoticed, which some who've transitioned late in life and couldn't afford FFS might have trouble with.  The "man in a dress" is what scares these folks.  They don't understand it.  I imagine most folk, the silent majority Nixon called them, see it as a BS issue but will go along to keep the nutcases quiet.  But a good many learned all they know about it from their preacher who insists that god doesn't make mistakes, that these are evil people.  They lack the capacity to read the bible for themselves, to see a contradiction between the old and new testaments, and their preacher cherry picks whatever will keep them in the cult.  And lacking education or interest in learning about the world, they choose to cling to their beliefs rather than explore reality.  They will shout down an effort at reasoned discussion.  Perhaps they realize their inability to do so and need the protection of their church friends and god.  They're afraid of a world they don't understand.  I believe a reasoned discussion is valuable for those who have no personal experience of gender issues and are able.  But i've no idea how to change the beliefs of those who so need their beliefs that they're capable of violence.

3 people like this

Posted

Eva Botkin-Kowacki, Staff writer May 10, 2016
"Interestingly, 85 percent of those polled report that they don't have a family member or close friend that is transgender. In contrast, 58 percent said they have a family member or close friend who is gay."  -- csmonitor.com

'Bathroom bill' debate continues in politics. But what do Americans think?

2 people like this

Posted

NBA Pulls All-Star Game Out of Charlotte Over Transgender Bathroom Law HB2

Jul 21 2016, 10:18 PM ET | Emma Margolin
" Governor Pat McCrory, who has loudly and staunchly resisted overturning HB2, released a statement Thursday to warn American families that "the selective corporate elite are imposing their political will on communities in which they do business, thus bypassing the democratic and legal process.""  --  nbcnews.com

2 people like this

Posted

And he therefore says that his bill and process was democratic and legal? 

1 person likes this

Posted

And he therefore says that his bill and process was democratic and legal? 

​ROFL... apparently!  :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted

U.S. judge to weigh halt to North Carolina transgender bathroom law

Mon Aug 1, 2016 7:45am EDT WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. |

1 person likes this

Posted

""Any harm to plaintiffs due to lack of access to restrooms designated for the opposite sex certainly cannot outweigh the privacy and safety risks presented to the public," McCrory's lawyers said in a court filing opposing an injunction."  -- reuters.com

Okay.  Am I reading this wrong?  Have I now lost all comprehension skills?  Is this fool actually [implying] that it's better someone get the holy freakin' doo-doo stomped outta them and left in a heap on some nasty bathroom floor than to chance some fanatical far-right bible-thumpin' ignorant bigot getting freaked out over someone simply coming into a bathroom (the RIGHT bathroom I might add) just to relieve the pressure mother nature has placed on that person's bladder?

Really?

REALLY??!!

I need to go back to bed.....

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah, that's what it sounds like.

1 person likes this

Posted

Meka Beresford | 1st October 2016, 5:43 PM
"The governor of the state, Pat McCrory, said his state would call a session to consider repealing the widely condemned bill, but only if the city of Charlotte repeals its own LGBT protections."  --pinknews.co.uk

Southern Conference will keep their championships in North Carolina

1 person likes this

Posted

What North Carolina’s wide-ranging ‘bathroom bill’ covers

RALEIGH, N.C. — North Carolina lawmakers will hold a special session Wednesday to consider the repeal of a law passed earlier this year that limits protections for LGBT people.

The law has been widely opposed by numerous businesses, organizations and individuals. Gov. Pat McCrory’s defense of the bill was a contributing factor in his narrow loss to Democrat Roy Cooper, who will take office in January and announced Monday that he had a deal with legislators to get rid of the law.

The passage of House Bill 2 in March thrust North Carolina into a national debate on transgender rights and harmed the state economically. The state missed out on new jobs as companies declined to expand in the state, while cancellations of concerts and conventions exacted a toll. The NBA moved its All-Star game to New Orleans, and in a huge symbolic blow to the college basketball-crazy state, the NCAA and Atlantic Coast Conference relocated events.

Repeal of the law could also end legal challenges by the federal Justice Department and transgender residents.

More here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/what-north-carolinas-wide-ranging-bathroom-bill-covers/2016/12/21/40ee89d8-c75a-11e6-acda-59924caa2450_story.html?utm_term=.1aafd306a8b1

1 person likes this

Posted

Sometimes, I find some things so incredulous, so unbelievable, so mind-blowing, that the words I need to adequately express my feelings leave me and take a slow boat trip around the world.  That's what happened when I first read about NC's soon-to-be former governor and HB2 which not only enshrined discrimination primarily towards trans people, but also nullified the nondiscrimination ordinace passed by Charlotte, NC.

After reading this latest article, that boat finally returned and docked.  I found the words I wanted ...

It takes a level of bigotry that is totally unimaginable to me, to create and pass a law to deny a people something that all others enjoy and take for granted.  But it takes a deep, vile, unmeasureable amount of hate, to create and pass a law, meant to keep someone from treating another person right.

And while NC may repeal HB2, it's sad that McCrory may still get some of what he wanted, in that Charlotte has agreed to do away with their nondiscrimination ordinance if the bill is repealed.

Has anyone really won here?  I mean... anyone except bigots like McCrory??

1 person likes this

Posted

Welp , the City of Charlotte went ahead and renounced all it's protections . They trusted the REPUBLI-RATS in Raleigh and got bit in da ass  BIGG!!!!! I'm a skeptic . I learned back in the 1960's Bigg Brutha was a monster and therefore , as a result , I have become one HATED Transgal in Richmond Virginia

The reason is simple . I never trusted the siren songs that pumped out of Washington DC . I never hung my soul out as most did on Obama promises . Seems like EVERY time I make a comment in either Equality Virginia or Equality N Carolina , I'm a mean rotten to the core "Racist " and hate monger . Yall want reform , DITCH the R&D party !!!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Dems.,

Stop analyzing why we lost and start solidifying our platform. Our platform is a good one. Our platform is a winning one. And if you wish a brief analysis of why we lost? It's because we didn't articulate our platform so the person living their day to day life could understand why it's in their best interest to care for their fellow man. To care for the Earth that sits under their feet. To care where their water and food comes from. To care for the infrastructure that brings these things to them. To care for diplomacy as a way to avoid war. To care for our children and the world we will leave them. If you want an analysis? We didn't articulate any of these things well.

The Gay movement was supposed to be a movement to get things done. The Transgender movement was never a movement because we got saddled to sexuality. The majority voted against Trump. Use it damn it. Simply speak your mind like they did. Fight a twit who uses twitter with a tweet. I use the phrase "Don't drink the Kool-aid" often when speaking about Trump. I know that many don't understand what that phrase means. On November 18, 1978, Peoples Temple leader Jim Jones instructed all members living in the Jonestown, Guyana compound to commit an act of "revolutionary suicide," by drinking poisoned punch. Kool-aid became the euphemism to refer to an event or circumstance of such situations where people are being lead down the primrose path.

I've said this before and this last election hasn't changed my thinking any even though many who voted Democrat previously voted Republican this time around.

There are basically two types of Republicans. Those on the upper reaches of the financial stratosphere who wish not to give up a penny of their "hard earned money" and those trying to live their day to day life, constantly thinking about money. You have the second amendment people too but I don't want to talk about them right now. 

The reason the Republican platform is against their followers believing in global warming is if they acknowledge global warming is real it's bad for business. It's not because the science isn't sound. It's because if they acknowledge it's true it will hit their precious pocket book.

Republicans tend to have a "be OK today and screw tomorrow" policy about most things they do. Little worry is given to the Earth or political world we will be handing down to our children and grandchildren. The Republican attitude is "The kids will have muddle through despite what we leave them as long as I can have what I want today."

To say global warming doesn't exist because it's cold outside today is like when we poor people say. "I'm not broke. I still have ten dollars in my bank account." It doesn't reflect reality.

It's really the essential difference between Democrats and Republicans. I hope that Democrats remember that.

I know that many in the LGB and the T communities are ready to hunker down and hide for the next four years simply hoping they can survive a Trump Presidency and Republican majority in every other area of our government. This however is not the time to shuffle back in your closet and be silent. THIS is the time to speak like we have never spoken before.

Rather than the grad plan of setting our sights on federal protections that would cover every American regardless of the bigotry in their own state. We are going to have to go back to tactics of winning over our local communities. I can win over mine. I can help you win over your's by giving you the words to do so, but none of us can fix for you what is in your own backyard better than you can.

This is a very scary time and we are entering a future of great uncertainty. This however is the time to gather your courage, hold your head high, as we stand individually or together against our attackers and their weakness.

1 person likes this

Posted

From the late Isaac Asimov:
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always had been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’ ”

Some folks cling to their beliefs because it's easier than thinking.  If it was good enough for great great grand pappy it's good enough for me thinking.  The education dollar has been shrinking for the last 50 years here in the states.  Coupled with willy nilly population growth and the anger and frustration of regularly being had by the powers that be, it's not a great outlook.  Democracy without an educated electorate is essentially a few wolves and a flock of sheep voting on what's for dinner.  I'm clearly not an optimist.  As i see it we're sliding off of a renaissance, always a brief affair, and returning to the historical norm of a dark age.  If you try to explain the facts of the situation to the masses they sort of glaze over.  There's a beer and a game on to distract them that's just more comforting.  A short attention span can't grasp the complexities of most situations.  Here's a perfect example of what their beliefs will not let them understand...

1 person likes this

Posted

North Carolina bathroom law for transgender people to stay after repeal bid fails

North Carolina's Republican-controlled legislature has rejected a bid to repeal a state law restricting bathroom access for transgender people, which has drawn months of protests and boycotts by opponents decrying the measure as discriminatory.

The law limits protections for LGBT people and was best known for a provision that requires transgender people to use public bathrooms corresponding to the gender on their birth certificates.

It was enacted largely in response to a local measure in Charlotte that protected the rights of transgender people to use public bathrooms of their choice.

The repeal compromise called for Charlotte to do away with its ordinance, and in exchange, politicians would undo the LGBT law.

But Republicans cried foul when Charlotte leaders initially left part of the city's ordinance in place, while the Senate bill called for a months-long ban on cities passing similar ordinances, prompting Democrats to accuse Republicans of going back on their promise.

A one-day special legislative session ended abruptly after the state Senate voted against abolishing the law, rejecting the repeal legislation 32-16, leaving the bathroom restrictions in place statewide.

Democratic Governor-elect Roy Cooper said both chambers had the votes for a full repeal, but divisions within the Republican Party killed it.

"The legislature had a chance to do the right thing for North Carolina, and they failed," he said.

More here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-22/north-carolina-rebuffs-transgender-bathroom-law-repeal/8142932

1 person likes this

Posted

Charlie , I'm with Janice Covington on the fact that the HRC as usual sold us out . We're BOTH on face Book too .

1 person likes this

Posted

Now please someone who is much more on top of this piece of legislation kinda bring me up to date on it. I understand the basic that it is anti-transgender legislation that requires proof of legal restroom use based on a birth certificate. Does it stipulate within that legislation that all North Carolinian's carry a copy of their birth certificate with them to have said proof? Also what are your thoughts on your next step being that the Republicans pulled a fast one and that legislation is still in place?

Would it be beneficial to speak to your incoming Governor who seems to be supportive to make some changes within his power similar to what Andrew Cuomo did here in NY state about three years ago? He changed policy at the DMV making it possible to change the letter on your I.D. with an affidavit of your predominant gender from a health care provider. This in fact makes it legal to use facilities based on that M or F on your I.D.. It may circumvent HB2 even if that piece of legislation stays on the books for a little while longer. Just a thought.

1 person likes this