North Carolina's HB2 Anti-GLBT Bill

53 posts in this topic

Posted

"This in fact makes it legal to use facilities based on that M or F on your I.D.. It may circumvent HB2 even if that piece of legislation stays on the books for a little while longer. Just a thought."  - Erica

It may make it legal in NY, and perhaps in other places.  But if I understand that HB2 correctly, nothing trumps what is recorded on one's legal BC.  As far as NC is concerned, you are what you were labelled at birth... and that's it.  Though they apparently will allow one to get a BC changed/amended (not sure which), it sounds as if the only way to get that accomplished is after GCS.

I have no doubt that NC officials would be more than happy to toss one's buttage in the pokey if that person was found using (or found to have used) a bathroom intended for the alleged "opposite sex."

1 person likes this

Posted

The reason I suggest it is because people don't carry a copy of their birth certificate on their person. They are usually locked away in a safe place. So for someone to get in trouble for using "the wrong restroom" first someone would have to freak out that you were in there. Second you, being the person being accused, would have to wait for an officer of the law to arrive. When that officer gets there he or she is going to ask you for your I.D.. If it says F on your I.D. and you are in the women's room it's resolved on the spot. If it says M on your I.D.  and you are in the men's room it's resolved on the spot. The M or F on your I. D. is a legal designation and the reason it is there primarily is for issues of access to segregated areas such as restrooms.

Now it's sounding to me like there isn't a whole lot of support for HB2 anymore among the general population of the state so enforcement of it would be unlikely. Particularly under this new Governor. Somewhat like certain smoking bans where you are supposed to be "x" number of feet from this or that or you are breaking the law yet you never hear of people getting ticketed or arrested for smoking since the police learned early on not to stir up that hornets nest for no good reason.

1 person likes this

Posted

UPDATE --

By Ralph Ellis, CNN | Updated 2:31 PM ET, Thu February 9, 2017
"The law also stops local governments from passing their own non-discrimination laws that would expand rights for LGBT people or allow them to use bathrooms and other public facilities that correspond to their gender preference." --cnn.com

North Carolina legislation aims to repeal 'bathroom bill'