Tennessee bill would allow therapists to refuse LGBT patients on religious grounds

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Here's a link to the story, but really.  If a therapist would refuse to help you on religious grounds, you don't want that therapist.  They would more likely try to pray it out of you than help you.  Anti-discrimination laws are good things.  But if their religion is more important to them than the science of psychology, find another therapist.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2016/0331/Tennessee-bill-would-allow-therapists-to-refuse-LGBT-patients-on-religious-grounds

3 people like this

Posted

I fully agree with Olcharlie.  And I'd like to also add that therapy is still part art, part science.  We are just only starting to realize how our minds actually work, both physically and emotionally.  I think for people with a deep faith religious therapists are important to help them balance their emotional needs and practicing their faiths, but they would be absolutely uncomfortable for me to see as an atheist and I would prefer to be elsewhere.  I think in this case that law might inadvertantly protect the people it wants to discriminate against.  A poorly chosen therapist can do a great deal of harm to a patient.  It's not like a cake or a venue or even a body doctor where all the parts work in scientifcally studied and proven ways.  Better to know upfront that the therapist doesn't really want to work with a patient and avoid that harm.

2 people like this

Posted

I really wouldn't want a therapist pushing me at religion anyway, but I'm pretty sure we don't need yet another of these anti-LGBT laws.

2 people like this

Posted

That kind of therapist wouldn't be good anyway. It would be just another dumb law and kind of pointless anyway.

Ever thought how much a little basic courtesy would ease off so many crazy things people think we need laws for?

1 person likes this

Posted

Just my opinion... but I'd say the lawmakers of Tennessee are wasting their time on such a law, because for the most part, it is recommended that people suffering gender identity issues, see a therapist experienced in...   well, gender identity issues.   So, their law is worthless, 'cause most of us don't wanna see a regular, inexperienced therapist anyway.  So let them pound on as many bibles as they want, as often as they want.  Chances are, some people probably already knew where such therapists stood on the matter anyway....

2 people like this

Posted

My question is what does religion freedom have to do with helping a person in need?

I'm a Christian and I see the hypocrisy of that statement. 

:huh:

2 people like this

Posted

This Tennessee law looks more of a catch 22 situation for transgenders. I would avoid seeing a therapist if I were inside Tennessee but go for online therapist from San Francisco instead, even if I have to pay for the services.

1 person likes this

Posted

It's a law they passed to placate the Evangelicals. Quite meaningless in reality.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Because I live in a lgbt-phobic community, when I seek therapy (life coaching), I get it through the telephone. Learned of it through Conscious Girlfriend.  Their link is broken (at least from my computer), so you will have to Google it.. Which also happens to be trans-friendly, although it is only for those who identify as women. Am very happy with them. They are $150.00 an hour, but worth it.

Edited by MonicaPz