Sex-change battle behind bars: Local killer wants the state to help with transformation into a woman

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Glenn Smith Apr 16 2016 1:00 pm

Katheryn Brown has been locked behind bars for 13 years for the murder of a Charleston woman, with little hope of ever going free. But she says her real prison is the male body she has been trapped in since birth.

She is better known as Edmonds Tennent Brown IV, a 44-year-old inmate serving a life sentence for the notorious 2003 strangling of a popular French teacher in the affluent South of Broad neighborhood. The case grabbed headlines for months and fueled various true crime features on national television. But Brown insists all of that coverage missed a key thread in her narrative: the desire to become a woman.

More here:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20160416/PC16/160419553

1 person likes this

Posted

I hope you'll read the whole story.  It is long and complex.  And ultimately we must rub up against our compassion for Katheryn Brown while regretting how damaging such a headline can be.  Those who will snatch up the headline as an anti-trans banner will likely neither read or understand the entirety of her situation.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hiya Charlie. I Thank You, for bringing this Article to Our attention. Charlie, I Have read the Complete Article. This is a situation, where being a MtoF Transitioning Transsexual, Myself, I Do have Sympathy for Katheryn Brown, in the fact that She is Desperate for Gender Reassignment Surgery. The fact that Katheryn is a Convicted Killer, and Will Not be Freed, I think that She would have a better quality of Life, were She to have G.R.S., whilst in Jail. I Am Not saying, that I condone Katheryn, for committing murder, because I Do Not condone Murder - Full Stop !!  Charlie, I will be very interested to see what other People have to say. Charlie, Take Care, And My Very Best Wishes, Love Stephanie. xx 

Posted

There are a lot of stories in the news these days about innocent folk finally getting out of prison where they were wrongly incarcerated.  We do have a justice system that will mishandle facts and people just to keep their desks clear, perhaps to keep up with a work load they are not staffed to handle.  Ms. Brown claims to be innocent and pled guilty on the recommendation of a public defender who no doubt made a deal offering life in prison as opposed to the death penalty, painting a picture of hopelessness for anything better.

The history presented suggests the presence of gender dysphoria and perhaps serious mental issues as well.  The hindsight of what she would have preferred to wear to court suggests a delusional focus and or way to much time on her hands.  Stealing underwear from a woman she admires suggests a heightened sexual aspect.  And the appearance of taking on the persona of that woman she admires really does suggest a mental illness that does not lessen the likely hood of gender dysphoria, but would certainly confuse it.  All in all i'm inclined to think she should have been placed in an institution more appropriate for mental illness rather than a prison.  On that score i'd say her case was badly handled.  I'm not suggesting that she is innocent of the crime or that society should not be protected from her.  But punishing the mentally ill is part of our medieval history.  We would like to believe we are more enlightened than this.

And in all of this, a reporter or editor present a headline that can only be harmful to the cause of equal rights for trans folk.  An agenda on their part is suggested that is unkind and uneducated.