FInding Masculinity

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I just finished reading 'Finding Masculinity' by Alexander Walker and Emmett Lundberg. Last night at our transgender literary book club, Mr. Lundberg and the illustrator of the book came and spoke to our group. He was wonderful, sharing his experiences. Many of the folks he interviewed came from all over the world. I asked 3 or 4 questions. Female to male surgery is more complicated.  FTMs still have some of the same issues that MTFs have: acceptance by family members, transitioning on the job, etc.

I learned more about FTM transition. One note is that Mr. Lundberg mentioned was the about the absence of older transman. The oldest in his book was 41 or 42 years old.

5 people like this

Posted

Hi Gennee :)

I was thinking about what you said about the paucity of older transgender men. Also read the excerpt  from the book on Amazon. Looks like a good read. I did a google and it look like that average age for menopause to start in a woman is 51. When it comes to transgender people, there are times I think what I'm seeing and experiencing isn't all me. Like I am supposed to transition, in the "hive" of life. The hive needing so many workers, and so many soldiers and so many care takers etc. Maybe the Human "hive" has to have so many transgender people? It's does seem a little striking that there is a great DROP OFF in MTF transition right around the same time the FTM transitions seem to stop, and then ten years later, BAM! The MTF transition rate picks up again. As bizarre as this thought is, it is almost like a like Nature is creating the genetic material it would require for a line of "mules" for cloning purposes! Although when nature "clones" it's called "life". When Humans clone, it's DEFINITELY an abomination. Or it could be nature is messing with my head again! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Perhaps Lundberg's and Walker's relatively young ages are why so many of the men in their book are so young, as there are several [notable] trans men well past 42, some approaching 60, and some in their 60s.  There have been some who lived into their 70s.

There are also a number of [notable] transmen for which no date of birth or age is given, but are obviously older than 40-42.

There could also be other factors as to why older trans men aren't in the forefront.  One possibility is, there are allegedly considerably fewer of us (of any age) than there are of you women.  Another could be that there are more younger men who are out and are activists than there are older men.

3 people like this

Posted

I've heard the they are working on transplanting a uterus into a MtF trans person. I've heard of some CUH-RAZY shnitzle, but that is off the hook! I often wonder if Nature is doing EVERYTHING that it can to ensure we live long enough to get off this tiny little rock we live on! Like she is already telling us to LEAVE ALREADY! Seems like were getting closer and closer to a day where we may be able to "toggle" our genders to get the most out of the environment we're living in like some fish and reptiles do! 

2 people like this

Posted

I've heard the they are working on transplanting a uterus into a MtF trans person. I've heard of some CUH-RAZY shnitzle, but that is off the hook! I often wonder if Nature is doing EVERYTHING that it can to ensure we live long enough to get off this tiny little rock we live on! Like she is already telling us to LEAVE ALREADY! Seems like were getting closer and closer to a day where we may be able to "toggle" our genders to get the most out of the environment we're living in like some fish and reptiles do! 

​​I have heard this also.

1 person likes this

Posted

There could also be other factors as to why older trans men aren't in the forefront.  One possibility is, there are allegedly considerably fewer of us (of any age) than there are of you women.  Another could be that there are more younger men who are out and are activists than there are older men.

​On why there are so many transwomen coming to terms with themselves in their 50s and 60s: As I recently turned 60 I'm kind of shy to admit that I do feel the pull of the mid-life crisis. As if I don't allow myself to come to terms with myself soon I may very well find myself lying on my deathbed deeply saddened by what might have been.  I also wonder if the natural reduction in testosterone may also allow myself some clarity in thinking that was harder when I was younger.

As for there being so few transmen, I cannot speak from experience of course but I have to wonder if a reason is that they are societally allowed such a range of gender presentation that, for some, it is enough.  Would that be enough for me, if the tables were turned?  I honestly can't say, but it might.  I'm very interested in learning more about why there seem to be so many fewer transmen than transwomen.  

I agree fully with Michael that there are more young people, transmen and transwomen, who are out than there are older folks. I will say that from what I can see if I was 40 years younger I would still be hard pressed to be more forthcoming about myself. I have heard of large companies (such as HP, IBM, etc.) having clear and supportive policies. But the smaller companies I have worked in, well, it's hard enough to just be.

1 person likes this