Brain Pickings: "The Definitive Manifesto for Handling Haters: Anne Lamott on Priorities and How We Keep Ourselves Small by People-Pleasing"

1 post in this topic

Posted (edited)

Brain Pickings - if you've not heard of it - is a wonderful website that provides a free weekly email that often has very thought-provoking articles.  So today I was reading one that came last weekend and found a couple of links that I think are correctly filed here in TGG's "Mental Health" Forum because they speak to the need (and our human right) to be ourselves.  We'll see what you think:

The Definitive Manifesto for Handling Haters: Anne Lamott on Priorities and How We Keep Ourselves Small by People-Pleasing

In the above article they refer to Anne Lamott's book "Bird by Bird" which I read about ten years ago.  Loved it!  It's about creative writing but so much more.  We are all of us creative people and her writing may be applied to any creative endeavor.  Now that I've come across it again, I'll definitely add it to my wish list to read again, soon, probably curled up with a cup of tea or glass of wine.  

I'm less familiar with Soren Kierkegaard but this article (below) is nonetheless very timely given all the uproar about transgender use of restrooms that are aligned with their actual gender identity:

Why Haters Hate: Kierkegaard Explains the Psychology of Bullying and Online Trolling in 1847

I hope you enjoy these and they help you find some peace.  That's all we really ask for, isn't it?

Hugs,

Emma

Edited by EmmaSweet
2 people like this