What it is to be Transgender

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I made this film a couple years ago to use in some of my early lectures. It's an overview and certainly doesn't cover all who feel they fit the term transgender, but many might find it helpful. Most of my education isn't directed to transgender people themselves, but instead to the general public so they can gain a better understanding. Often the people I'm speaking to work in the mental health system in some way.

Edited by EricaRavenwood
3 people like this

Posted

Excellent video, Erica, thank you. It (and you) really speak to me. I feel like I could underscore so much. One thing is the shame. And the need for therapy. But we have to allow ourselves to trust the therapist. I spent about 25 years in and out of therapy and with psychiatrists battling shame and depression but could not bring myself to admit my transgender feelings. It was just too shameful. And I was so frustrated that they couldn't read my mind or bring it up by themselves. So I tried to keep it hidden and if it was a separate and unrelated issue. Crazy, in hindsight but...

Fortunately about two years ago I finally came clean with a therapist and, with lots of work and stress and some crying I have come much closer to understanding and accepting myself. I'm not "there fully"'yet. But working on it.

So thank you again for a lovely video. 

Emma

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ya know? I did the exact same thing. I've been committed six times but only once having it known that I'm transgender. I wasn't doing myself any favors.

Edited by EricaRavenwood
spelling
1 person likes this

Posted

Ex- wife had ME committed to Bethesda Naval hospital, why she's an EX!

1 person likes this

Posted

The like on your post was just an acknowledgement. I'm sorry that happened to you. I myself have been committed six times. So far, lol. I'm hoping to avoid the seventh.