Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights in Canada since the late 60s

2 posts in this topic

Posted

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights in Canada

Since the late 1960s, the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community in Canada has seen steady gains in rights.

Since the late 1960s, the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community in Canada has seen steady gains in rights. While discrimination against LGBT people persists in many places, major strides toward mainstream social acceptance and formal legal equality have nonetheless been made in recent decades. Canada is internationally regarded as a leader in this field. Recent years have seen steady progress on everything from health care to the right to adopt. In 2005, Canada became the fourth country worldwide to legalize same-sex marriage.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/lesbian-gay-bisexual-and-transgender-rights-in-canada/

This is an excellent article and would explain my great fear of coming out to anyone when I first realized I was transgender.  Not only was I transgender but I wanted sex with men which was basically illegal.  You can also see how long it took for laws to change regarding same-sex issues.  Our plight is still coming along slowly.  There is also a good video regarding Allies to Transgender People further down in the article.

Bonnie

3 people like this

Posted

It's amazing how countries that have had a history of much stricter, much more severe laws against homosexuality and transsexuality, have progressed in the various areas of equal rights better, faster and more strictly than the Almighty Great United States of America - a country that has the nerve to try to address the human rights issues in other  countries.

Go figure...

You GO, O' Canada!!

2 people like this