TG celebs we didn't know about

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I think perhaps as transgender people, and those who know, love or support transgender people... most on the list are known to us.  No doubt this list was put together for the cisgender reader.

I don't know about everyone else, but my slide show stopped at #22 of 23 (Isis King).  And Christine Jorgensen was in the line-up twice.  Jenner and Cox were in slides 1, 2 and 3.  So of the 20 celebrities, how many did you know of?  I knew of all but four, but it seems that the name of one of the four sounded familiar.  Since I wasn't sure though, I counted her among those I did not know about:
    #7.  Lilly Wachowski
    #8.  Hari Nef
    #9.  Valentijn De Hingh
    #16. Candis Cayne

It's unfortunate that so much of media fail to include trans men in their reporting.  But perhaps that's a blessing considering so many articles contain a degree of sensationalism (even when it's not intended), much to the detriment of trans women.

Many know of Chaz Bono, Balian Buschbaum and Buck Angel.  Here are the names of a few more transgender men that are well known (at least to trans men), or celebrities in their own fields - how many of them do you women know about?
    Loren Cameron (he has a sister who is MTF) - activist, author and photographer
    Kylar Broadus - activist, professor, lawyer and founder of TPOCC
    Ian Harvie - comedian
    Chris Mosier - athlete, advocate and speaker
    Aaron H. Devor - sociologist, sexologist, university dean
    Laurence Michael Dillon -  was a British physician and the first trans man to undergo phalloplasty
    Lucas Silveira - musician
    Laith "De La Cruz" Ashley - male model
    Andreas Krieger - former Olympian
    Jamison Green - activist, author, columnist
    Aydian Dowling - entrepreneur (Point 5cc),  vlogger, activist and speaker
    Jake Graf - writer, director, actor and advocate
    William Lee Tipton - was a musician and band leader
    Benjamin Meltzer - male model
    Thomas Page McBee - author, columnist, Buzzfeed contributor

3 people like this

Posted

One transgender celebrity I didn't know of until recently is Jamie Clayton (who plays Nomi in Sense8), I had no idea who she was before I started watching that programme (which is brilliant, by the way). It's always good to see trans characters be played by trans actors and actresses.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hi alexandra! :)

Will have to check that program out. Dumping my cable TV from xfinity because it's CRAP. I watch like 2 channels out of 900 or so! Thank the Goddess for ChromeCast ! :) :D See you around the site! 

Cheers!

Veronica

Edited by veronicabeta
1 person likes this

Posted

I'm sure folks here know the list better than cisgender folks.  But it was in the news, and what popular media is talking about regarding the community is a pulse we should keep track of i think.

2 people like this

Posted

I'm sure folks here know the list better than cisgender folks.  But it was in the news, and what popular media is talking about regarding the community is a pulse we should keep track of i think.

​I agree... I was just hoping to spark some discussion on who we know and don't know of.

2 people like this

Posted

Hi alexandra! :)

Will have to check that program out. Dumping my cable TV from xfinity because it's CRAP. I watch like 2 channels out of 900 or so! Thank the Goddess for ChromeCast ! :) :D See you around the site! 

Cheers!

Veronica

​Hi! :)

It's on Netflix, so no cable needed!

Posted (edited)

Seriously this is all very very good general knowledge, who knows 1 day I will be on that list according to plan A.

As far discussion on the fame personities, I am working on Danish Girl redo video & some other projects for my website, just wish there was more time.

Edited by cross2play