Repeal of US Military Ban on Trans Service Members

5 posts in this topic

Posted

"The Defense Department is expected to repeal its ban on transgender service members within weeks, Pentagon officials said Friday, putting to rest a long and complicated debate that has stretched out for a year." -- washingtonpost.com
Considering there are 18 countries (according to wikipedia) that allow trans people to serve in their respective military forces, the United States could have solicited advice, information, suggestions, input, feedback, etc., from any of these countries, as it appears there is little issue in allowing transgender people to serve, and therefore might have greatly decreased the duration of debate.  Because I've never read anything about US officials calling on the officials of other countries, I can't help but believe that the US didn't want to know that there apparently is no issue in allowing trans people to serve just like their cisgender counterparts.

"...the lack of a new policy has created complicated situations for them and their commanders, including what to do with gender-specific uniforms, grooming rules..."-- washingtonpost.com
If this is one of their sticking points, well... I say it's nonsense.  I've always felt that a soldier should be genderless... or perhaps androgynous.   I've always had issue with the fact that there are specific things that male soldiers are not allowed, but female soldiers are.   I've always felt that all uniforms should be the same, and that hair lengths should be no different for women than they are for men.  Society glady "allows" women the "frivolous" luxury of wearing hair pieces and wigs, and so they could easily avail themselves of such accessories off duty.   I think the only time there should be any deviation in clothing style is that perhaps the women could have a dress uniform that is specifically for formal balls, but even then, I think that it should only be in the form of an ankle or floor length dress in place of the slacks.  Everything else should be the same as the men's dress uniform.

They are soldiers first.

1 person likes this

Posted

The US has been very resistant to change with regard to transgender people. While I'm happy to see change finally coming about, I have to ask what the hell took so long. We're supposed to be a freedom loving society but if you're a member of any number of marginalized groups, then you don't get to enjoy the American Dream. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Dear Lori and Mike,

Think the military can only BENEFIT from having transgender members!  Have found many transgender people to be among the most patriotic and intelligent people I know!

Posted

Well... whether they liked it or not, whether they knew it or not (until recently when a few came out)... there have always been trans people in the military.  Sad they had to hide, just like gay people had to hide... but they've always been there.  And the military has benefited from their service.  If Uncle Sam would admit that, he'd stop calling us mental cases!

-Mike

1 person likes this