UK top court split on transgender woman's pension right

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Aug 10, 7:36 AM EDT LONDON (AP) --

Britain's top court said Wednesday it was unable to agree on the case of a transgender woman who was denied a female pension because she refused to divorce her wife.

Five Supreme Court judges said the Court of Justice of the European Union must decide the case.

The claimant, who is now 68, applied for her state pension at age 60 in 2008, but was refused because she did not hold an official "gender recognition certificate." She was told she would have to wait till 65, the age for men.

More here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_BRITAIN_TRANSGENDER_PENSION?SITE=SCAND&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&SECTION=HOME

1 person likes this

Posted

There are so many things that seem totally messed up about this situation.  Just when ya think the Brits have their stuff together when it comes to trans people... something like this happens... and you stand back scratching your head, wondering, "what the heck are they thinking?"

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hiya Charlie, and Michael. Thank You Gentlemen, Very Much, for bringing Our Stupid Country's Ridiculousness, to Light. The U.K. is So Messed-Up, Politically, It Is Ridiculous. It Has Always been said, that " British Law, Is An Ass ( Donkey/Mule; Etc. ). British Law IS So Stupid, and The Police - Well, Please Don't get Me Started. ( If You want to Know More, Please P.M. Me ! ). Suffice to say, Our Family HAS GOT 2 Official Complaint's Going, against One of the British Police Forces. Charlie; and Michael, Please Take Care;  Big Hugs; And My Very Best Wishes, Love Stephanie. xxxxxxxx 

Edited by Steph53

Posted

The UK is certainly no more messed up than the US.  There are times however, when I look at the UK and consider it much further along (at least as far as law goes) than the US is when it comes to transgender people.  I know that many Brits complain about the NHS, but let's face it, at least the NHS has services for trans people (though apparently emotionally barbaric and difficult to navigate) - in the US, you are considered lucky if your insurance covers any part of gender related medical care.

Considering same-sex marriage has been legal since 2014, enabling trans people who decide so to remain married to their spouses, I fail to understand what the issue is.  I also think it is crazy that there is one age for women and another for men for eligibility for pension.  And really, that men must be 65 and women 60 is stupid since on average, men die sooner than women.  Seems like allowing women to collect benefits at a younger age would be more of a financial burden on the system.  LOL... even in the US, ages for retirement and social security keep being raised... no doubt because the older a person is before they can collect, the less time they'll be in the system!  But I digress.

Seems that it would be easier on everyone if the powers-that-be would forget about yesterday, and give this woman her pension under today's laws.

-Mike