Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What binder

58 posts in this topic

Posted

So, I'm thinking of buying a binder, but I have questions.

Who should I buy it from, underworks, tkingdom, other? How many should I buy? How do you measure for it?

Whats the best kind? The cheepest? Middleground?

I wear 36 b sportsbra's, but they are kinda tight, so I'm probably a 38 b.

Do you find that binders cause the same kinds of back aches that acebandeges do? or are they uncomfortable in other ways?

Posted

When I first saw this, I thought you meant a book binder! Well... I don't know myself, but... it COULD be helpful, so just to attract possibly a little more attention to this thread, can we give Aiden some help?

Posted

Medical tape and safety pins can act as a make-shift binder... And, the Frog bra is also good for lessening the presense of breasts.

Posted

Hi Aiden...

Hmm...this topic came up not too long ago, and Michael posted an excellent link for resources. I have tried ace bandages, and found them to be nearly unbearable, no make that completely unbearable! I am a 36 B, and if you're a 38, (depending upon your tolerance level for pain, lack of oxygen, etc.) you probably won't want to go that route. I have had good success with the "Frog Bra" from Title 9, but I am right at the cut-off point (36 B). You might measure yourself and find out, the frog bra might work for you. T kingdom...the models looked good and flat, but I have some serious doubts as to the size of the model's breasts in the first place...had a feeling they probably weren't that big to begin with, so of course they look great in those binders. Someone did write in here once and recommended "under-works" binders.

Good luck,

Andrew

Posted

hey aiden -

LTNS

here's the link andy mentioned that i had put in another post Hudson's Guide

besides info on binding, it's a generally good website with a lotta info for guys

forget ace bandages - using them for binding can be very dangerous.

-michael

Posted

hey aiden -

LTNS

besides info on binding, it's a generally good website with a lotta info for guys

-michael

Yes, I know all the inherant risks of ace bandages but I have tried them with good success for a limited amount of time (read: twenty minutes.)

Thanks for your help, I'll check out that link.

Posted

I'm about yer size and i use a small underworks tri-top. i love it with a deep deep passion. it gives a more believable bind than an ace ;)and it's stretchy so you can friggin' breathe. If yer gonna go the underworks route definitely buy the tri top cuz my friend got a compression shirt ( i think that's what the full torso model's called) and neither of us could get it on after hours of failed attempts.

good luck searching o_O

Posted

How do I measure for the tri-top? And what size did you get? Should I get a medium or a large? In the case of bra's I usually go for the slightly smaller size, but this thing is already compressing so I suppose I should go for the larger?

Posted

I'm about yer size and i use a small underworks tri-top. i love it with a deep deep passion. it gives a more believable bind than an ace  ;)and it's stretchy so you can friggin' breathe. If yer gonna go the underworks route definitely buy the tri top cuz my friend got a compression shirt ( i think that's what the full torso model's called) and neither of us could get it on after hours of failed attempts.

good luck searching  o_O

with these, its always better to go a little big, and if its too big, you can always do a little sewing to make it smaller. So better safe then sorry, i'm pretty sure they have a no return policy.

I highly reccomend underworks!

Posted

I got an underworks power compression vest, and it compresses, but not enough. I always end up looking like I have more boobs than the average guy would have.

Question: Is duct tape and a sports bra more or less dangerous than the ace bandage method? I used duct tape a while ago at a drag and lingerie party, and it worked extrememly well, but would extensive use of duct tape cause health problems similar to ace bandages? I have a friend who used ace bandages (he doesn't any more) and he is still recovering lung capacity and I'm only willing to indulge in my dysphoria to the point that it does not physically hurt me. Discomfort is fine, damage is not. :)

Posted

ace bandages are designed to draw up over time. therefore, just normal activity and breathing will cause aces to tighten. they can cut into your skin, or as in the case of your friend, literally cause internal damage.

tho duct tape doesn't stretch or tighten, if applied directly to the skin it can rip the skin off. if it doesn't rip it off right away, it can severly irritate the skin with each change, eventually leading to the removal of skin.

if duct tape is used, it should only be used over a t-shirt or other undergarment, and should not be wrapped too tightly as it also could restrict adequate expansion of the chest for breathing. but personally, i wouldn't use duct tape whether over a shirt or not.

another problem with "ungiving" binding techniques like duct tape, the continual compressing itself of the flesh can cause scarring. somehow, the compressed flesh can "harden" for lack of a better description. later, because of these scars, some have been known to have to have biopsies done of the hardened tissue because results of normal 'grams cannot determine if the scars are just scars, or suspicious lumps/growths.

another suggestion for binding is the neoprene waist trimmers you see in magazines and in many sports departments of stores like wal-mart. unless you are pretty heavy up top, waist trimmers do a pretty good job - and their inexpensive. one downside is, now days most of them come with a velcro closure. a few years ago, there was no closure of anykind - it was sorta like a "tube top." ya just stepped into it and worked it up into position. it layed flat enough that a t-shirt (designed for outterwear) could be worn over it and it wasn't noticeable as long as the t-shirt wasn't so small that it hugged your body.

-michael

Posted

HI, I am new to the site and I am really enjoying it!

Question:

I am wondering if anyone has tried any of the products from T-Kingdom "for larger chests" or the "lycra long cut" vest from Mango.

I have been using the frog bra from Title Nine for years, but want something with more compression. The ones from underworks only have 30% lycra while the frog bra has 32%, so underworks will not be an improvement.

T-Kingdom pretty much refused to tell me the fabric content and mango only talks about "2 layers of lycra", but don't tell you the amount. Mango also doesn't tell you what the fabirc is in the back. I am looking at these companies because their products are created for FTMs, specifically.

Has anyone tried either of these or know someone who has? If you have and have the fabric contents I would very much appreciate it!

With the cost of these products and not being able to return them (well, you can't return the Mango products, at least), I really want to make a good choice!

Thanks.

-Dapper

Posted

Umm... what exactly is a frog bra? I'm a 36 D and I'm trying to figure out a way to make my breasts less visable.

Posted

Umm... what exactly is a frog bra? I'm a 36 D and I'm trying to figure out a way to make my breasts less visable.

The "Frog Bra" is a sports bra with super strength and a lot of Butches/TG/TS use them. You can get it through Title Nine Sports (Titileninesports.com). It is for the largest of chests.

I would highly recommend it as a starting point as it is cheap and you may be satisfied stopping there (meaning, not going onto compresion vests which are more uncomfortable).

-Dapper

Posted

my partner came out to me last summer, there really never was anything feminine about him so it wasn't hard to accept. i'm one of those go getter wives lol....i do a lot of researching on the net to find out where to buy a proper binder, since my parnter's chest is huge! and there is no way a sports bra or ace bandage or spandex shirt will ever help. a friend told me about gynecomastia vests and i looked it up and found a few places but what struck my memory was a place in the states (i should mention at this point that i'm from vancouver canada) that recycled used vests for a nominal fee. i thought to myself that if there was interest in the states that maybe our community would be interested, so i'm looking into it and wanting to register with our government as a charity. this most likely will require us somehow providing education or promoting education on something related to the actual charity.

while asking about people's binding indignities, i found out, quite surprisingly to me, from the smaller chested ftm's that they, as well as, others have gotten injured, all in the grand hope of regaining some dignity while they wait for chest surgery (if they get it). and our society makes it acceptable for private medical insurance companies who provide extended health (in canada)to cover breast prosthetics for cancer patients etc. but in canada, if you can find a gynecomastia vest, you're paying at least $60. some of these kids don't have money...especially if they have to save $6000 for chest surgery.

sorry, i tend to get longwinded lol. my point or question rather, was to anyone out there who has been injured, to tell me your storey. does anyone know of stats on this kind of stuff? i'm looking for anything i can take to the powers that be to show them the impact of improper binding on a body and thus the person as a whole. if you, or anyone you know of are from canada or vancouver area, i'd love to keep in contact with you.

Posted

just in case people try to find me on here, i guess i signed in as a guest under the name heather? lol can ya tell i'm not savvy? anyway, i figured i ought to register etc so there ya go. :unsure:

Posted

heather -

i personally do not know anyone who's suffered any damage from binding. there are a few guys here who know a friend or acquaintance who's sustained injury from binding.

i do know that severe injury usually comes from things like duct tape or ace bandages.

there have been guys bind using duct tape, applying the tape directly to the skin. if you are at all familiar with duct tape, you know that the adhesive side is quite strong. guys have had skin torn off removing the tape

ace bandages will draw up...essentially, getting tighter as the day wears on. if too tight, the bandage can cut into the skin or even the flesh.

some guys have sustained internal injuries from both tape and bandages. it has also been discovered that the constant binding can cause tissue to harden. 'grams or manual examination cannot tell the difference in the binder-hardened tissue and lumps. often, a biopsy must be performed to be sure what's there. binding too tight can cause inhibit proper breathing and can cause damage to the lungs.

tho there are many good binders on the market, it is probably safe to assume that the longer a guy binds, even if safely, the process can eventually cause one problem or another.

hope this helps

-michael

Posted

I do not have a big chest, but big kinda guy...6'3 and 230lb. I bought the xl double

compression tank style shirt from underworks and love it. Gives me that body builder kinda chest. I do have a large one for sale if anyone interested...was too small and no way was it going over my shoulders..never worn. send me email and we can chat.

Posted

hey aiden -

LTNS

-michael

Oh? Dangerous you say? I've been using aces binding since I was about twelve.... so i should be dead? Or in pain? Or something? Anyhow, I have one numb spot that is unfortunately located right where my bandages go, but that occurred when the idiot physical therapist hooked me up to the shock machine and turned it up to high.

Posted

"Oh? Dangerous you say? I've been using aces binding since I was about twelve.... so i should be dead? Or in pain? Or something?"

well, yer young yet and some things you may need to learn the hard way. i hope not tho.

no one said you should be dead from using ace bandages. not sure it's been said anywhere in these forums that anyone's died from using them. what i said was, "they can be dangerous." that means there is the possibility that damage can occur.

in fact, of all the methods for binding, ace bandages could possibly be the worst method, with duct tape applied to bare skin running a close second. but you don't have to take anyone's word here for it. perhaps you'll have top surgery before any problem arises.

good luck

-michael

Posted

what I do is wear like 3 sports bras and a tight undershirt. But I've been looking into better ways, because I am getting gashes along my upper back and chest because tightness of the bras, plus the fact that I barely remove them.

I used to use duck tape. But then it stuck to my skin. Yeaaahh, that hurt.

And I got really bad chest pains from the ace bandages. Actually, I still use them sometimes, if I want to wear something fitted. But sometimes I get feeling dizzy. I wouldnt recommend it.

Posted

I brought a mango vest about 10 months ago and now i dont go out without it.

It does compress but to be honest it isnt THAT good..

Im guessing i have like.. a 34 or 36b. I dont exactly know. but i still cant go around in just a tshirt comfortably outside and when its really windy outside and its coming towards you.. you do look like you've got boobs still but they are just smaller.

Sucks ass, so at the moment, before my chest surgery im looking for a decent binder too.

The mango i got was the double compression one. I paid a lot for it and its basicly only worth $25.. kinda a rip off...

Posted

I wear ace bandages on occasion (I usually go for the smallest sports bras I can find, and then pin them up to make them tighter. Much less painful) and I wear them for 4-10 hours, usually. I've found that they don't tighten as time goes on, they actually loosen a little, or at least it feels like it. It stops hurting after about 20 minutes. The breathing issue isn't too bad, I can't run but I can still function.

But on the other hand, I'm only 19 and I'm starting to get back pain. And keep in mind, I only wear ace bandages once every week or two.

Posted

I am small so i guess it depends on how "down" you want to go. sports bra works for me. never had an issue with ace bandage. excfept i did bind way too tight once and had to go all "zen" to not be in pain after like 8 hours, but not really a big deal...

basically no issues...

Posted

i'm quite concerned about some of you guys in your late teens and very early 20s implying that using binding methods such as ace bandages are no big deal. this is dangerous advice for the ones even younger than you because the really young ones are more prone to listen to those closer to their own age than some of us older ones.

ace bandages are dangerous. bottom line. if they weren't dangerous, or a poorer method of binding, you wouldn't make comments like "it stops hurting after about 20 minutes," or "i...had to go all zen to not be in pain after like 8 hours."

you might not have felt pain after 20 minutes because you'd probably gone numb! and if you have to go out on some mental trip just to pretend there's nothing wrong, there's a serious problem.

using ace bandages can and will cause damage to the skin, underlying flesh, the chest cavity and even the lungs themselves. they can also inhibit proper breathing.

if you want to help your younger brothers, advise AGAINST ace bandages, share the pitfalls you've experienced with aces, and recommend to them SAFER ways to bind.

-michael