Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What binder

58 posts in this topic

Posted

I agree with Michael when it comes to using Ace bandages as a binding tool. I tried it myself as a binding starter and quickly moved onto better things. I couldn't get enough air and as the bandages tightened I would be forever scratching or tugging at them.

In the end they began to feel like a steel ring that was cutting off my air and giving a ton of pain for all my careful wrapping efforts. By the time I got home to safely unwrap I would have to spend quality time messaging blood and feeling back into my flesh. Not fun at all.

I am sure that everyone is busy doing their own thing, but for me at that time of binding I was always moving. Lots of physical labour and hot summer sun all combined with the Ace bandages made me tired and feeling like crud. I tried moving the bandages to the outside of a t-shirt and the results were worse. The sweating went through the roof and I couldn't get comfortable. Plus the bandages refused to stay in place. It was like trying to hold onto a bar of soap in wet hands, not impossible to do but hardly any fun.

I am large chested, not DD but not that far away from it either. So a simple sports bra does nothing for me. I abandoned the Ace bandages and moved on to heavy web searching for something better. I found Underworks and have been happily working away with their products. I have been getting the most out of their Double Front Compression Shirt and find I can move, sweat and breathe with no problems. I snipped and restiched the area around my underarms and neck for comfort (sensitive skin) and a more natural look.

I still can make out my breasts and have moved on to trying to find the right sort of layering of clothing to hide the remaining bump. I have no interest in duct taping or any sort of hard compression to the breast tissue that would cause major problems down the road. I have just revisited their site and found that they came out with Tri-top Chest Binder and can't wait to see what it does for me.

Yes, you can flatten your chest at great pain (even if it does go numb after a time) and potential harm. Am I telling you what to do? No, but it is foolish not to be aware of the risks and other options to binding.

Posted

I'm not saying anything against you older guys, I'm just saying, for an FTM guy who has no access to binders or even a credit card to order said binder off the internet, ACE bandages are the only thing we can use. I'd never think of using duct tape. That's just odd. Luckily, I'm small chested (A or b, dunnae, never checked.) For teenaged transguys on a limited budget and with controlling rents, it's next to impossible to get a good binder. Granted, there are some alternatives. Tight sports bras, underworks that you can get from Sports Authority, etc. But ACE bandages are cheap, easy, and easy to conceal from mom and dad.

Posted

Nick, and all you other young guys -

i understand that a lot of teens or college students don't have credit cards or the extra money to purchase new commmercially manufactured binders and compression vests.

granted ace bandages can be easy to conceal from mom or dad...but if i were a parent and did happen to find ace bandages in my kid's room, first thing i'd wonder is what kind of injury the kid is suffering and why hasn't he told me about it. i'd be going to him and asking what the bandages were for. sure, you could lie and say some joint has been bothering you...but that could land you a trip to the doctor - for no reason.

a sports bra would be the way to go. as a female-bodied individual, who's gonna question a damn bra?? no one. you can get a decent sport bra in walmart for under 10 bucks. lay off the CDs and other crap for a little while and you'll have the $10 for a safe method of concealing UFO's (from PvtScotty, for "unwanted female objects" :lol:)

another alternative would be to check out Big Brothers Used Binder Program. it is for transmen (no TG Butch or drag kings) who cannot afford a new binder. i'm sure if you have questions for which you can find no answers in FAQs, nick will be willing to help you out. the program is very strict because good, used affordable binders are hard to come by. but i'm sure with a little patience, and compliance with the rules, you may be able to obtain a good binder.

-michael

Posted

you might not have felt pain after 20 minutes because you'd probably gone numb!  and if you have to go out on some mental trip just to pretend there's nothing wrong, there's a serious problem.

It's hard to not realize if your entire back goes numb as you go about feeling stuff touch it. The bandages loosen up as you move. If you honestly think they're THAT painful, you're probably binding WAAAAAY too tight. (Actually, I've done that before. As soon as I realized and had a chance, I was runnin' off to the bathroom to redo them looser)

I am also neither advising for or against ace bandages, I'm simply telling the truth of my experience. I don't see how "I'm only 19 and I think I'm getting back problems" is advising for using Ace bandages.

It's everyone's choice how to bind. We should stop the loaded comments. Exaggerating aspects that are no big deal (like, oh, darn, your parents think a joint's bugging you) is just going to hurt your case.

On another note, I've found something painless that works extremely well - 2 sports bras. 1 just isn't enough when you're walking around in a smaller shirt and/or the wind's blowing straight into your chest, but if you have 1 flattening specifically the largest part of your chest, and the other worn normally over it, it works wonders.

Posted

"It's everyone's choice how to bind. We should stop the loaded comments. Exaggerating aspects that are no big deal (like, oh, darn, your parents think a joint's bugging you) is just going to hurt your case." -Mykell

1. you bet...it IS everyone's choice. you gather your information, consider offered advice, and make your decision. no one's taking that away from anyone.

2. i've made no "loaded comments." what i post here comes from 3 sources:

....a ) experience

....b ) common sense

....c ) experience of guys who've passed thru here before you and me and left their experiences in writing in these forums and other places

anything i have no experience with, cannot find information on, or cannot think out logically, i ask questions about and make no pretense that i know what i'm talking about.

3. i've exaggerated nothing. what i said was, "if I were a parent..." that wasn't an exaggeration, it was a hypothetical situation. and you can bet yer bottom dollar if i were a concerned parent of a minor, and found articles intended for remedying medical problems in my kid's room...i'd be asking questions. i think any GOOD parent should and would.

whether you endorse a method or not, simply indicating that it's a choice you make on occasion is enough to make younger guys think it just might be okay. that's my only concern and why i indicate the problems that could occur, and offer safer methods.

and yes, i think we'd all agree...the sports bras do work pretty well.

-michael

Posted

Nick, and all you other young guys -

i understand that a lot of teens or college students don't have credit cards or the extra money to purchase new commmercially manufactured binders and compression vests. 

granted ace bandages can be easy to conceal from mom or dad...but if i were a parent and did happen to find ace bandages in my kid's room, first thing i'd wonder is what kind of injury the kid is suffering and why hasn't he told me about it.  i'd be going to him and asking what the bandages were for.  sure, you could lie and say some joint has been bothering you...but that could land you a trip to the doctor - for no reason.

a sports bra would be the way to go. as a female-bodied individual, who's gonna question a damn bra??  no one.  you can get a decent sport bra in walmart for under 10 bucks.  lay off the CDs and other crap for a little while and you'll have the $10 for a safe method of concealing UFO's (from PvtScotty, for "unwanted female objects" :lol:)

another alternative would be to check out Big Brothers Used Binder Program.  it is for transmen (no TG Butch or drag kings) who cannot afford a new binder.  i'm sure if you have questions for which you can find no answers in FAQs, nick will be willing to help you out.  the program is very strict because good, used affordable binders are hard to come by.  but i'm sure with a little patience, and compliance with the rules, you may be able to obtain a good binder.

-michael

Luckily I'm involved in sports and have been for many years. So the ace bandage lying around my room is not a big deal. In fact, with the odd weather we've been having, my joints HAVE been acting up, so I've been wrapping my ankle.

I'll be eighteen in October, so hopefully I will be granted more independance. IE: going out and about and mebbe getting a REAL binder.

As for the $10 walmart bra. I have two good tight ones. I want to get some more, but our local walmarts haven't had anything but those crappy flimsy Bestware things.

Posted

Sorry to double post. But does anyone else get frustrated that we even have to do this bullshit? I hate having to wear eight layers of clothing to be comfortable. I hate not being able to take my shirt off at pool parties, and I hate having to look at mself when I shower. It's just stupid. And I hate it when people say: "God made you for a reason"

Posted

i know the feeling, nick. i won't look at myself when i'm not dressed. what bugs me the most when i have clothes on is the bouncing. it disgusts me.

i'm on the hunt for a binder/vest. just can't decide which way to go.

-michael

Posted

Hi,

I am very new to all of this.

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between ‘breast reduction surgery’ and ‘top surgery’ besides a better choice of words?

I have a chest that is too big for words or my back to handle and am wondering if I can get insurance to cover for that reason instead of paying out of my pocket.

Chris

Posted

hi chris, and welcome to tg guide forums.

i would think, simply by the phrases themselves that there is a difference.

women will sometimes have breast reduction if they are very large. sometimes due to health problems, like the weight causing back or shoulder pain; a doctor's concern that a woman may not heal in a timely manner after open-heart surgey; or some women feel more free to have breast reduction rather than suffer the discomfort of over-endowment nowadays.

in our world, most guys want "top surgery." to the best of my knowledge, this usually means having all excess tissue removed, not just reduced. some also call it chest reconstruction.

if you are FTM, maybe you could luck out and get your doc to "reduce" your chest down to almost nothing... especially if that's your choice - i've heard of no minimum when it comes to breast reduction, but that doesn't mean the medical world doesn't have some twisted notion about that, too. you could end up killing two birds with one stone - come out with an almost male chest, and have the procedure covered by insurance as a beneficial reduction... :P

perhaps someone here knows more about what doctors will or will not allow when it comes to reduction, or if it all boils down to finding the right doc and what the patient wants

-michael

Posted

Hi guys,

I am in vancouver BC and have a couple xl binders avail...I have just had my chest surgery couple weeks ago and have to wrap with tensor bandages per my surgeon till end of month....contact me for information by private msge....

max

Posted

Kristopher

Underworks is awesome. Thanks so much for that suggestion. I tried the double Front Compression. It is the first time something fit and worked as I had hoped! I live with a DD chest and this makes me look SO different. Only surgery will make them go away but hell this is GREAT! I have been it during the day since I got it almost a week ago. I do need to cut the chest line a little lower and then restich too. Arms seem OK for me.

I do have a couple of questions for any one. Has any one used a binder and found their nipples bleeding just a little? I really do not feel like this binder is tight. But it is a whole new way for my chest to be rearranged. It is making me a little nervous I just saw the stains last night. That nipple hurts a little this morning. It did not before now.

Second does any one find it better to wear something under the binder or just as is? I put patches of cloth under my br—sts to keep the sweat in check. Others have suggested a tee shirt or tank top but I am thinking that would just be too hot!

Chris

Posted

t kindom binders:

when i was looking to get my first binder, i wanted to find something good. when i saw that t kindom is run by ftms i figured it would be really good. boy was i wrong lol. i'm pretty sure i ordered on of the one's for "larger chested". it doesn't bind at all. at least not well enough for me to consider it binding.

underworks:

this is the second place i got a binder from. these work so much better. the model i use is the double compression vest, and fold it over, doubleing it up to give more compression. i'm pretty sure i use a medium, though i do have a small that i use (i got the small first, then a month or so later i got the medium, the small is a little tight on me)

sports bras:

they don't compress for me at all. if i get it too small, then my breasts are hanging out of it lol. i wear sports bras if my binders are hanging to dry. if i can't bind i might as well be confortable lol

for reference, my breasts are a 36dd. at least thats what they were before i started binding. but i've notice that they alot flatter nowadays when i don't have a binder on, and they aren't nearly as firm either. i think i've heard a few times that this is normal?

sometimes my sides will start hurting, but that only happens at the end of the day, and really that only happens now with the small binder. then i just take the binder off.

:ph34r:

Antony

Posted

"T-Kingdom" is known for it's small running sizes. the company is out of taiwan and so the binders/vests are most likely made according to the average size of people in taiwan. in fact, that the sizes run small is noted on the website.

in the post Binders/Vests, i purposely did not list "T-Kingdom" not only because sizes run small, but also because guys would be ordering from overseas. i did however list "mango products" despite the fact that the binders/vests they offer are from taiwan - personally, i believe mango gets their binders/vests from "T-Kingdom."

-michael

Posted

"T-Kingdom" is known for it's small running sizes. the company is out of taiwan and so the binders/vests are most likely made according to the average size of people in taiwan. in fact, that the sizes run small is noted on the website.

-michael

yea i remember reading that on the site lol

i followed all the advice on the site too, i believe that its not just that its too large or too small, they are designed to fit someone who has a smaller chest. which means that you would need less binding for it to work, if that makes any sense lol i saw a post on an ftm forum somewhere where this guy says its the best binder you can get, and it fits wonderfully on him. but also if i remember correctly, his chest is a b cup.

i have also heard that the underworks don't fit was well on smaller chested guys because the sizes run large.

so my point is, when you are looking for a binder, try to get advice from someone that has about the same size chest as you, and it probably would be a good idea to find someone that has tried different methods, and not just 1, because without that you can't compare how well the methods actually work.

^_^

Antony

Posted

Speaking of binders, if any of you are looking for some Underworks Style: 997 Mediums I have 2 new and 1 VERY lightly used one. Right now I am not in an environment where I can be myself 24/7, so when I am able to be me, it's usually afternoons or weekends, and I don't go out alot anymore, so barely used them. Plus I gained some pounds and I would have to fight forever to get out of it, so stopped using them.

If anybody is interested, PM me and give me a day or two to respond since I am not overly active on the computer and websites. These are double compression vest by the way in case you are not familiar with underworks.

Will let all 3 go as a set or each one individually. I would donate them if they were not in new and very like new condition and I was restocking with a larger size and model.

Posted

thanks to chris42, lostinwonderland, and others in the past who've recommended underworks, i've finally purchased one - the double panel #997 as mentioned in dev's post. mine is XL and i'm pretty happy with it.

anyone who can use a medium binder, i would highly recommend you getting in touch with dev - i don't think you'll be displeased. max_the_T_guy has a binder also - but he doesn't say what brand or what "strength"... :lol:

"...when I am able to be me, it's usually afternoons or weekends..." -Dev

i know the feeling - that's the only time i can be myrealself, too... for now.

"i have also heard that the underworks don't fit was well on smaller chested guys because the sizes run large." -lostinwonderland

i've not heard this, so can offer no info as i'm not a real small guy. perhaps some others can let us know their experiences too.

according to the underworks' sizing, i should have purchased a large - i was at the highest end of large. i considered buying one each large and extra-large because the binders/vests/shirts can be returned. but i took a chance and went with XL - i'm glad i did.

underworks has a variety of compression shirts, so it could be a matter of finding a different style if a guy is small chested AND small framed. on average tho... seems model #997 is the popular shirt.

-michael

Posted

When I was still able to wear the mediums, they did pretty well. I am not a large chested person I assume since I can wear a cheap sports bra and in the right clothing still have not much of a chest.

I am just overly obsessed with a flat chest till I have the muscles to look like I should have some chest. hehe, I have stick arms, so I want flat, flat, flat. I can't wait to get the tri-top in, plus I look forward to having a tank top since I love that style of shirt already when not dressed up.

Posted

Hi, I'm new so forgive me if this is the wrong topic.

I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for binders?

I really need a good binder that I can wear day in, day out with expert compression. Only thing is, all the sites that have been listed are no good for me (one, I don't have a credit card, two, I'm from the UK and they keep asking for zip codes etc). So from the sound of it, the only options I have are ace bandages and sports bras.

Well, I have a sports bra. It's good at stopping my breasts from 'jumping' but it doesn't actually flatten them at all. The thing is, I'm a 32J (god help me) so I'm guessing I'd be hard put to find something that does actually bind successfully. Ace bandages, it sounds to me, would be very painful and unnecessary for my particular size.

I'm willing to pay out for a binder, as it's important to me, but I just don't know where I should be looking and what's right for my size. Or even whether I should forget binders until I've had some sort of surgery?

Any guidance would be exceedingly welcome!

Posted

hey heath -

i don't think there are too many more places out there to find binders. i would suggest going back to Binders/Vests and checking out the various websites for phone numbers and email addresses.

i would write or call to find out if they would accept other methods of payment such as personal checks, bank checks, traveler's cheques or money orders.

i dunno what a size 32J is...sounds bad by your "god help me." if that's the case, i would advise against ace bandages - to hide that much would require that you bind way tighter than what is safe.

a lot of the guys here have purchased, and are happy with Underworks' double compression vest. however, they also make a "tri-top chest binder." this might be what you need.

-michael

Posted

I use a tritop and it works really well

maybe find someone you trust and ask them to pay with their credit card, and pay them back. I don't have a credit card either; that's what I did

hope this helps

-Lysander

Posted

Yup. I have a LOT of problems with them and seriously need a reduction at least (though ideally I'd wanna chop them off completely)!

Thanks for the replies. Michael, I'm going with your advise on ace bandages - I've been tempted to get some for ages but I'm resisting that now. Lysander, that's really useful. Luckily, it seems the tri-top binder lets you pay by cheque so I've just ordered one. Apologies for being ignorant but, again, I'm from the UK so if I'm paying in US dollars do I have to use traveller's checks or can I just pay with ordinary ones?

Thanks,

Heath

Posted (edited)

"...I'm from the UK so if I'm paying in US dollars do I have to use traveller's checks or can I just pay with ordinary ones?" -Heathcliff

maybe you could find out what the item will cost, including tax(es) (if applicable) and shipping fees. then check the currency caluculator (link submitted by Annie in the thread "Choice"). check with your bank about how to write the check (how much, what kind of check). then call underworks to verify that you will be sending the correct amount. surely between the bank and underworks, you should be able to make a purchase.

NOTE: i'm not sure underworks mans the phones during business hours. when i called, i got a recording asking that i leave info so they could call me back. i chose to email them instead. however, the owner of Hudson's FTM Guide indicates on his website that underworks is FTM-friendly, so there shouldn't be a problem in working with them

-michael

---------------------------------

READERS: Evan_kun, a new member to tg guide had made a post here, just below heath's post. in trying to edit a reply to heath, i accidentally deleted evan's post -for some reason, the program was combining my separate replies to heath and evan. when it wouldn't allow me to edit, i went to delete my reply to start over and zapped evan's post instead.

the following is the reply i was trying to make to evan. his post was saying hello to everyone, and asking what he could do to remedy the slippage he encounters using ace bandages if he doesn't use a sports bra over the bandages. the bra keeps the bandages in place, but then the bra shows under clothing.

hey evan, and welcome to the forums here at tg guide.

considering you are small-chested, perhaps you could try something i used to do before i gained so much weight - wear two sports bras, but wear the top one BACKWARDS. yep, backwards. believe me, it works. it also helps if they are just a tad smaller than what you actually would need, if possible. example: if you would normally wear a 32B in a regular UFO holder, get a sports bra in a 32A. wear one the right way, wear the second one backwards.

i even wore [dark coloured] t-shirts using this method.

-michael

P.S. well, as you all can see...the program has once again COMBINED my SEPARATE replies to heath and evan. dunno what the problem is...but i'm not gonna try to delete my reply again for fear of deleting yet another member's post. grrrr...this is really pissin' me off!!! :angry:

Edited by UsernameOptional

Posted

When you make a reply in a topic where you were the last one to post, it auto-appends your reply to the previous post instead of making a new post.

I think the software is set that way to prevent people from continuously bringing topics to the top.