Homosexuality not inate

5 posts in this topic

Posted

While this article could potentially throw EVERYONE not heterosexual and cisgender smooth under the bus... I want to highlight the fact that the article indicates not that homosexuality is not innate (despite its headline), but that allegedly, SEXUALITY is not innate - that includes heterosexuality.

It also appears that the website patheos.com is a faith-based site, and will no doubt jump on anything that would indicate or imply that being homosexual, bisexual or transgender is a choice.

From another website, "two top Johns Hopkins University psychiatrists say there is insufficient evidence to conclude people are born with heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual attractions."  Again however, the website on which the quoted text can be found, according to wikipedia, is "influential in American conservative circles."

What's scarey is that the bigotted politicians of the country could use this kind of thing to undo every advancement that the the TGLB community has rightfully achieved.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I guess it's good to "know one's enemy" but, otherwise, I don't see the value of posting this article on TGG.

The article goes on to say that transgender is also not innate. Why? Because, to-date, objective differences between cis and trans people's brains haven't been found to be conclusive. Tell that to physicists, for example, who are looking for particles that they know must be present since they observe particle behavior that indicates that previously unidentified particles must be present. Same for astro-physicists who discovered black holes and other phenomena.

The fact that we have not yet found innate reasons for gender, sexuality, and other human differences doesn't mean they do not exist. Given that about 3% of people are gay and 0.6% of people are trans, it seems obvious to me that our existence is undeniable. We don't need a super-collider to prove it (expletive deleted).

Emma

Edited by EmmaSweet
1 person likes this

Posted

We have to analyze the article which is a definition of solid terms and it's siblings terminologies.
The article tendencies points to a fact or major whole new topic signifies sexuality's is not inate. This is true & likewise totally opens a new chapter into sexual orientation ever changing which can change over time in persons lifetime.
The website states anything as the rest of the flip side of world of transgenders is not accepted by many countries.  
We should be lucky to be living in a wonderful organized society of America!  In contrast  from less accepting recognition of 'no' or transgenders in their communities or countries!
Many members might not even see in their environment for certain basic transgender laws. No matter we should accept and remain focused everyone around us, build on and strive to improve certainly.
I can't say if mentioning first nations of American community or reservation originated people(not to target any community) are more less accepting.  But the fact of creating a website & putting everything into perspective is another minor achievement in itself, anyone can take a reference from the website.
As far the politician are concerned they have another duty, and we will leave them as bigoted and articulated job descriptions.  

1 person likes this

Posted

I guess it's good to "know one's enemy" but, otherwise, I don't see the value of posting this article on TGG.

Emma

I did consider deleting the OP until I spotted the mention of trans people in the article also... and of course, the purpose of this particular forum is for news, information and discussion that is not necessarily or directly trans related, but could potentially affect us.

I tried to spot a link to a legitimate medical or scientific website among the returned search results when I googled this topic, but saw nothing (didn't really spend too much time on it though).  It would be interesting to know exactly where this came from, and if it was really worded they way these conservative websites have done.

-Mike

4 people like this