One Love - opening at the Valentine 12-1 Richmond Va .

1 post in this topic

Posted

Here it is Friday evening , heck Saturday morning . Count down to Monday 5;30PM eastern as my son and I begin what we think is a History making event in the former Capital of the Confederacy . Yes, we're set to have our portraits done at the Valentine History center , a mere block west of the former Confederate White house in Richmond Virginia . here , my distant Cousin Jeff Davis presided over a rag tag collection of Southern states , 1863-5.

This exhibit is beyond just a few photographs of gay and Transgender people who are also family heads . We represent a new era where Gay and Transgender people will slowly take a place in Virginia History . I still have to wonder at my near 66 years that here in this city , the first heart transplant was done , Cellophane was invented and produced as a packaging material , the ready rolled cigarette was made , and lastly , the first Electric Street car ! I grew up as a child in this city where at one time , I was considered a" Deviant" for wanting to change my gender ! Yes, I actually knew people who underwent Lobotomies as a result of being Gay . I too was almost on that list myself in 1957 .

Today , I volunteer at the former Medical College as a speaker to interns studying Gender medicine and hopefully , I'll go back into the Valentine as an exhibit builder after a decade long hiatus . We as transgender people have a reason to celebrate this show as it's said to become a permanent fixture for Richmond Virginia tourism ! Yes, the capital of the Confederacy will share space with the LGBT's , Hows that for progress ?

Post card showing the Medical College of Virginia ,Today, Virginia Commonwealth school of medicine   14th and East Broad

Entrance to the Valentine History center , 12 and East Clay

The Confederate White House , 14th and East Clay - very vintage shot too !

4186a523cd38f326c689f54a686d96f8.jpg

800497bf273310bc4dd330418ed77709.jpg

920dd45583.jpg

2 people like this