Virginia Ties

11 posts in this topic

Posted

For anyone in Central Virginia , or elsewhere and willing to attend , Virginia's equality Virginia is once again sponsoring a health seminar at Virginia Commonwealth University !

http://www.equalityvirginia.org/ties/ October 22nd , Saturday - Virginia Commonwealth university at the Student commons

TIES-2016.jpg

ties-webpage-600x132.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

The THIRD Virginia TIES Health and Employment conference drew OVER 400 people , a RECORD!!!!!

IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2298.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Ellen, thank you for reminding others of this important difference!  Gender and sexual orientation are as different as apples and oranges!!

2 people like this

Posted

Apples and oranges are different?  :o

2 people like this

Posted

Apples and oranges are different?  :o

​Uh, hate to break it to ya , but they really are ...... meanwhile , I'm actually making "Headway in the area of Gay is NOT Transgender too !!!!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

Dear Bonnie,

It is an old saying I grew up with, "One thing is as different as another thing as apples are to oranges."

Both are fruits, but one is a citrus fruit and the other is not.

Know I am "dating" myself (I am 58 years old, but old fashioned because my parents were in their 40's when I was born),

By the way, I LOVE almost every kind of fruit!

Your friend,

Monica

2 people like this

Posted

Hi Monica!  I am older than you.  :P​  I know the expression quite well I just like to put in comments to throw people off kilter a bit.  As far as my age goes I do my best not to act it.  I am 64 and act like a 25 yo.  I wished I looked like one I quite often dress like one but that depends on where I am going or what my dates like to see me in.  Anyway, thank you my dear for the explanation.

Hugs

Bonnie

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm right there with you Bonnie.  Everyone is so obsessed with people of this age do this and not that, I say let people do what makes them happy.  As long as it's not illegal. 

And orange juice is great to soak banana slices in, keeps them from browning and the tart juice and sweet fruit is awesome.  Apple juice and bananas aren't great together. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

EShaver, I'm right there with ya hon. My common line is I could like guys, girls or sock puppets, just like anyone else. It sounds funny but it gets frustrating after you've had to say it for the one hundred thousandth time and people still don't quite understand. Even in the transgender community. Truthfully more frustrating when the transgender community doesn't understand it. I tend to give the general public a great amount of leeway in having ignorance.

Edited by EricaRavenwood
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I had to go back and listen (I don't always pay attention to what I'm saying) because the apples and oranges reference was something I recently used. It's audio so I'm going to type it as I hear the last lines. "(When we teach) We can have the conversations because now they know the language. It's difficult to have a conversation about fruit, but you're talking about an orange and they are talking about an apple, but you're not making any specification. You're both just saying fruit. And trying to describe your's. Very different things. But if you just gave it that definition 'this is an orange and this is an apple' then it's a very simple conversation. "I have an orange." "Well I have an apple." And it doesn't become something that is so confusing. Anyway it shouldn't be that confusing, this entire subject matter, but we tend to do that. We do that to ourselves. We complicate it. And it doesn't need to be that complicated."

Edited by EricaRavenwood

Posted

Thank you Erica.  My comment was simply to complicate things in a humourous manner.  You are correct and I feel the same way, transgenderism should not be a complicated thing to understand.  Love, no matter the gender, should not be a complicated thing but for some reason it is.  This site is here to support and to educate.  We support each other and we educate each other.  Once we understand ourselves both as an individual and as a group we can go out and support and educate others.  I have been doing that much more in this past year and plan to do more this coming year.

Bonnie 

2 people like this