Transgender voters may face problems voting in US elections

6 posts in this topic

Posted

By Sebastien Malo

NEW YORK (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Up to 34,000 transgender people in the United States could face problems voting in next month's election because their ID cards do not match their gender, advocacy groups said, urging them to use a postal vote to avoid being turned away at the polls.

Transgender rights have come under increasing scrutiny in the United States with rows over access to public bathrooms and healthcare dominating media coverage and political discourse in recent months.

Thousands of transgender people could face obstacles voting in the Nov. 8 presidential election in states with stringent voter ID laws, according to a report by the Williams Institute at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).

"A transgender voter may show up at the poll with a valid ID, however if they have not been unable to update the gender marker or photo on that ID, a poll worker may be confused and refuse them a ballot," said Arli Christian, spokeswoman for the National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE).

Doubts about gender on an ID is not be a valid reason to deny a ballot, but it has led to transgender voters being turned away from polling stations in the past, campaigners said.

"It's a shame that a trans person would have to put themselves at risk of scrutiny, harassment, discrimination to exercise something as basic as their right to vote," Christian told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

Thirty-four states have passed voter identification laws, according to the Williams Institute, with eight having strict versions requiring the voter show a government ID with photo.

In a 2011 survey by the National Center for Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, 40 percent of transgender respondents said they were harassed when they presented an ID that did not match their gender identity.

Though a "civil rights issue", the problem voter ID laws represent for transgender people have yet to generate the kind of debate raised by other LGBT issues, said Kenneth Sherrill, a political science professor emeritus at Hunter College in New York City.

The transgender vote represents only a "small fraction" of the U.S. electorate and does not have the potential to significantly alter the election's outcome, he said.

Jillian Weiss, head of the New York City-based Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund, said absentee voting is "good advice" but "shouldn't have to be necessary".

"Let's not forget that this is a workaround for the equal protection of the laws that people are otherwise entitled to," said Weiss, whose organization is looking for cases of transgender people being denied the right to vote.

On Nov. 8, American voters will pick a new president as well as elect members of the U.S. Congress.

Visit On YouTube Shazy Jeo or check http://outcast-all.com

Source https://www.yahoo.com/news/transgender-voters-may-face-problems-voting-u-election-230507054.html

2 people like this

Posted

Folks , one of the VERY FIRST THINGS I did when I got my Virginia operator's permit changed was to RE REGISTER in Virginia as a voter . In Virginia , one MUST present a PICTURE I D in order to vote . If ya don't , yes , you can vote "Provisionally " . I'm told they count them only AFTER the regular votes have been tabulated .

Look, people , all I have to do is get on an Interstate and travel less than an hour . I'm then in in N Carolina , HOSTILE territory ! An out of state ID with your CORRECT name and preferably GENDER could save you a needless trip to a N C Jail for using a public restroom for one thing . Yeah , I know N C residents are to present Birth Certificates in these debated issues . Still, HAVE an I D that looks like you and says yer who you spend hours presenting as . .

i know this doesn't set well with "Week end warriors ", people who play a Gender fluid game and those who wanna experiment with Cross dressing If yer gonna Vote , LOOK like who yer dang I D says ya is !!!!!!!! .

2 people like this

Posted

i know this doesn't set well with "Week end warriors ", people who play a Gender fluid game and those who wanna experiment with Cross dressing If yer gonna Vote , LOOK like who yer dang I D says ya is !!!!!!!! .

​Can I just say that I found this comment really rather...painful to read.  No one is playing games.  And there seems to be a wide variety of people whose gender does flux between male and female, and calling their identity a game in what should be a safe space for everyone isn't sitting right with me, as your talking about Nikki.  And I'm not okay with how Nikki would feel reading this comment.  Especially after watching how hard he's had to struggle figuring out who he is since he doesn't fit into either full cis or full trans identities.  I don't think you meant to be harmful, and I don't mean to sound in any way accusatory.  

I do, however, agree that he should do what he does for this situation, which is present male.  And for those not living full time who can and do present in the gender their id says, I do think it would be wise to do so to avoid this issue.  I am a little concerned though that people in NC for example so heavily insistant on birth assignments might not be able to get that correct id easily for those that live in places like that though, and everyone is supposed to have the inalienable right of persuit of happiness that is supposed to not erase our other basic citizenship rights.  I have seen first hand some of what thy do to prevent black people in several states from getting those id's, and I don't think it's completely paranoid of me to think that transpeople may face that same extreme difficulty. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - EVERYONE'S SITUATION IS DIFFERENT.  Not everyone is out - that doesn't make them a "weekend warrior."  There was a time when the only time I could let loose and be and feel as my true self was on the weekend.  And while I no longer don anything that comes out of the women's department, I'm still not out, not transitioned, and have no documents that reflect my true gender.  But I'm not a weekend warrior, and I've never considered myself a crossdresser.  And while I don't understand gender fluidity, and will not pretend so, there should be a place in this world for the gender fluid, those who feel both male and female, and those who feel that they are neither.

Some states make certain demands on trans people before they can legally change their ID, and some people are not able to meet those demands.   If a person cannot meet the requirements of their state, and cannot get the ID that matches their gender, does that mean they should present at places like voter registrars contrary to how they live?  And if they do, does that then make them a weekend "weekend warrior?"

What we actually need is a society that has finally pulled it's head out of it's binary-determined ass and accept and/or embrace all people no matter WHERE along the gender spectrum they do or don't fall.

If you're a cisgender, heterosexual male - good for you.   If you're a transgender female who's attracted only to women - good for you.   If you come to work in a dress, with make-up, curls, baubles and heels today, then tomorrow in a suit and tie - good for you.   And each one should respect the other for however they present.

THAT'S where we need to be.  And if one wants to register to vote, they shouldn't have to bend, bow and be humiliated into some socially designed box or told, "sorry, you're not allowed to vote because you don't look like what we think you should look like."

-Michael

3 people like this

Posted

Bravo, Michael, I could not agree more.

@Bree: I'm certain that Ellen didn't mean anything toward Nikki. Why am I confident of this? Because I have an inkling of the cross she is bearing. Not that Nikki's or yours is any lighter. Our crosses are all different. And that diversity is part of what makes our community that much stronger and more interesting. By the same token I'm not sending my comments with any baggage toward you. You're a very intelligent and appreciated member of our group, too. 

Being transgender is a tough row to hoe and at times it seems never ending. It's exhausting at times that's for sure. It's the only row we have to hoe. 

warm hugs,

Emma

Posted

Very well said Michael couldn't have enjoyed reading.

Transgender today on general gaining more publicity but there are exceptions in any case.

If anyone wants to vote than they should follow the law and it's protocol.  I personally feel America is way ahead than rest of world just look at San Francisco?

My country being old civilization from Indus valley than Western subcontinent 2 months back the first transgender who died was laid next to straight person graveyard and was given first official acceptance of burying transgender folks in a funeral.