NYT: "How Changeable Is Gender?"

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Admittedly this link to an article on the Times is about a year old but I just came across it the other day:  How Changeable Is Gender?  I feel that it's a good summary of what is known and what is debunked. 

2 people like this

Posted

Woooooo-hoooooooooooooo... the nytimes.com let me see this article!!

"If gender identity were a fixed and stable phenomenon in all young people, there would be little to argue about. But we have learned over the past two decades that, like so much else in child and adolescent behavior, the experience of gender dysphoria is itself often characterized by flux."  --nytimes.com

In my opinion... all the more reason to lay off the binary system, and let people identify in whatever manner suits them - no matter their age.  Then, if a person's gender identity did change at one point or another or again, it would be no big deal.

"... some groups recommend pharmacologically delaying the onset of puberty in gender dysphoric children until age 16, before proceeding to reassignment. Puberty suppression is presumed reversible, and can be stopped if the adolescent’s gender dysphoria desists. But the risks of this treatment are not fully understood."  --nytimes.com

Seems to me that every pharmacological product on the market has some kind of undesireable side affects - if it's not evident by the documentation that comes with a drug, it's evident by the 100's of television commercials we're bombarded with by law firms telling people to call them if this or that happened to them while on some specific drug.

If society can't dump the strict male-or-female-only construct, then it should allow medical professionals to administer hormone blockers until a child is of an acceptable or legal age and decides they are cisgender, and can then be taken off of hormone blockers and allow natural puberty to take over, or transgender and can then proceed with transition.  Society shouldn't be able to demand a person is cisgender AND refuse medical interventions, too, with the excuse that it doesn't know what hormone blockers 'might' do.

Just seems to me to be logical.

-Michael

3 people like this

Posted

In my opinion... all the more reason to lay off the binary system, and let people identify in whatever manner suits them - no matter their age.  Then, if a person's gender identity did change at one point or another or again, it would be no big deal.

​I agree with this a lot, especially since a lot of people I've met since starting this learning road and spoken to, as well as my own Nikki, don't really fit into a binary male or female only system.  And I think recognition and understanding for ALL forms of gender issues is equally important and critical to the health of everyone.  We're social animals, we need people who understand and accept.  We just do.  Whether the isolating factor is gender, sexuality, cultural, mental illness related, physical illness related, at the end of the day people need other people.  Friends, family, loves.  Those relationships make it all easier to get through and hold us up. 

2 people like this