"You and Your Gender Identity: A Guide to Discovery"

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Dara Hoffman-Fox, a licensed professional counselor (therapist) published this book several months ago.  You may also recognize her name from her YouTube videos which are fantastic.  For some reason I dragged my feet in buying her book.  Maybe at the time I didn't think I really needed it. Anyway I did finally buy it a couple of months ago and, simply, loved every minute of it.  

Sure, I've read much of what she wrote before, elsewhere.  And, I've already explored many of the issues she raises in her exercises (of which there are plenty).  But no where have I received such a comprehensive and thorough tour of myself, my history, gender dysphoria, and the myriad ways that we might define ourselves, and interact with others.  For me it's so much better than most other books which tend to focus on those who have or are transitioning.  Bless them but I'm not one of them, and I need books and information like this.  I'm starving for it.  

Dara also provides (for free) a PDF workbook where you can record your work on the exercises.  I printed it out in color on 2-sides and had it spiral bound at Kinko's since it's about 250 pages long and I valued keeping it all organized.  I took it slow, savoring the thoughts that came up, truly enjoying the feelings that arose, often while having a coffee at our local coffeehouse.  At times it did bring up some painful emotions and memories, and she offers help with that, too.  

I can't recommend it highly enough.  

Emma

P.S. Attached is a PDF of some information she provides.

Simplifying Your Gender Identity Journey.pdf

2 people like this

Posted

PLEASE check out this PDF, but, better yet, download it onto hard copy and write your answers in a notebook, seeing if your answers change over time.  This exercise can be a lifesaver!  

Thank you, Emma, for sharing this resource!

2 people like this

Posted

Dara's first edition was self-published, her second edition was recently released by Skyhorse Publishing. I'm proud to say that I helped edit the draft for Dara and have a mention in the 'thank you' section at the end of the book! (I've not nor will I receive any compensation.) I highly recommend the book for anyone questioning their gender identity, where they are on the spectrum, and to learn insights about themselves and others. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Dara's first edition was self-published, her second edition was recently released by Skyhorse Publishing. I'm proud to say that I helped edit the draft for Dara and have a mention in the 'thank you' section at the end of the book! (I've not nor will I receive any compensation.) I highly recommend the book for anyone questioning their gender identity, where they are on the spectrum, and to learn insights about themselves and others. 

​You GO, girl! ;)
Congrats.. Dara Hoffman-Fox must surely be very greatful for your in-put.

2 people like this