Apologies for the Interruption

20 posts in this topic

Posted

We apologize for the downtime following a recent failure due to a failed upgrade attempt and resulting database errors. It took some time to figure out but we're back. It's good to be back online. Come on in and socialize!

4 people like this

Posted

As Michael wrote here (perhaps moments before the crash) on his most recent blog post:

TG Guide has been my "home away from home" also.  It's very rare that I don't sign in.  And yes, I feel bonds with people here too.  It is comforting to know that I can come here and read posts and makes post knowing that most everyone here understands most everyone else.  There is little judgementalness, and there is always someone with an encouraging word, or a sympathetic word.

Ooh... and nail polish does not the woman make.  That's in your heart.  The polish is just so much window dressing  ;)

-Michael

I have been missing my "home away from home."  Absence makes the heart grow fonder and I'm very much looking forward to reconnecting to everyone here.

Emma

3 people like this

Posted

Truth be told , because of the slowness of this place any longer , I thought ya'all had gone Bye Bye. This wouldn't be the first message board to do so . I stop over here because the "NASTINESS" of faceless book posters is enough to make me despise anyone in the Trans community

4 people like this

Posted

Technology, it lives to go wrong. : )

3 people like this

Posted

Hiya Everyone. I Love All You Lovely Friends. I Have missed You all. Lori, Thank You Very Much, for the Apology. Sweetheart It Is Of Course Accepted. Lori Sweetheart, Don't Worry About It, These thing's happen, and We are back again. That is All that matters. I Hope that You All have a Great Day, Take Care, And My Very Best Wishes To You All. Big Hugs all round, Love Stephanie. xxxxxxxx 

3 people like this

Posted

Hiya Lori. I Have just got a New Motorola Moto G 4 Phone. Is there a TGGuide App, that We can Download now please ? Thank You Very Much Honey. Take Care, Best Wishes, Love Stephanie. xxxxxxxx 

1 person likes this

Posted

Good to hear you were able to rectify the upgrade issue. 

3 people like this

Posted

Have been trying to reload a photo and keep getting "Error 500"

Sorry - Dawn

1 person likes this

Posted

When trying to load a photo I get this error

The website cannot display the page

HTTP 500

Most likely causes:

• The website is under maintenance.
  • The website has a programming error.

What you can try:

bullet.pngRefresh the page.

bullet.pngGo back to the previous page.

More informationMore information

This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

Posted

Two different solution sets below (Word Press and PrestaShop)- I think the problem is a memory setting (Parameters) issue.  "Many times the server limit is 30 seconds, which is not long enough to run these scripts."  This is why I think it works for some and not for others.  Dawn

Word Press 

Common Solutions for the 500 Internal Server Error

The two most common causes of this error are a corrupted .htaccess file and exceeding your server’s PHP memory limit. The .htaccess file in your WordPress directory can become corrupted after you install a plugin or make another change to your WordPress site. The fix is simple. All you need to do is create a new .htaccess file.

PHP memory limit issues often occur as the result of a poorly-coded plugin running on your site or a site that’s grown considerably over time and is using too many plugins. You’ll begin to exceed the PHP memory limits set by your hosting provider once either of these things happen. The result is a 500 internal server error.

We’re going to learn how to create a new .htaccess to get rid of the corrupted one as well as how to test whether or not you’re exceeding your PHP memory limits.

PrestaShop

We’ve all seen it. As common as it is infamous, the dreaded HTTP 500-Internal Server Error ...

How to recognize the Error 500

First, we need to go over the different ways you might see this error message on your computer. There are different forms of this message because each host/server is allowed to customize the way it’s displayed. Here are some common ways you might see this error.

• “500 Internal Server Error”

• “HTTP 500 – Internal Server Error”

• “Internal Server Error”

• “HTTP 500 Internal Error”

• “500 Error”

• “HTTP Error 500″

Most times you will see this message accompanied by various forms of this classic ambiguous line
    “The server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request by the client”

It’s important to note that this error can be shown on any browser and any operating system (sorry, but switching to the new Mac Pro will not solve this problem) Here is a screenshot of one of the ways this error might be displayed on your browser.

Internal error server

What is the 500 Error?

Put simply, the 500 error is the Web servers way of saying “Something went wrong but I can’t tell you what, sorry.” This is what we call a “server-side” error. That means that there is something wrong with the server who is hosting the website. It is an extremely general error usually caused by configuration issues with the websites programming, PHP or system permissions.

How Can I Troubleshoot?

Don’t fret; although this error message is absurdly vague, you still have ways to find more information. Web servers are almost always configured to hide specific error messages. ....

For PrestaShop v1.4 through v1.5.2  ... (One system)  ...

Investigating the Error

Once you have the additional information, there are some standard ways to further investigate the error. First, let’s go over some the most common ways this problem is caused. Once we find the cause of this error, it is much easier to solve.

Permissions: Many times you will find that the permission setting on one of your folders is set incorrectly. It could be a simple fix as switching a file/folder permission from 777 to 755 or vice versa. In most cases permission sets of 777 are extremely unsafe and can allow even an amateur hacker to access your files and put malicious code in it. Make sure to check with your hosting provider for specific information about permissions set as some servers have different regulations.

Incorrectly configured .htaccess: Oftentimes you will receive an internal server error when the htaccess file is configured incorrectly. For PrestaShop purposes, the main culprits of the htaccess errors are “URL Rewrite” settings or Friendly URL enabling. The htaccess syntax is very strict so even one wrong character or command will cause the server to return an Internal Error 500. Make a backup of your htaccess and regenerate the htaccess file either through the back office or by toggling the Enable Friendly URL option.

Server timeout: Every server has their own timeout setting, which sets the time that any given script can run. If the function or script crosses that limit, you will receive an error 500. The most common scripts in PrestaShop that can take too long to load are CSV Imports, backups, translation loading, import/exports and thumbnail regeneration. Many times the server limit is 30 seconds, which is not long enough to run these scripts. You should contact your hosting provider and inquire about changing the limit, at least temporarily.

UPDATED 3/31/2016:
    We hope this article helps you address your issue. For answers to individual questions, you can post your question for free on our forum (www.prestashop.com/forums/) or contact us (www.prestashop.com/en/contact-us) and a representative will contact you with details on how you can get the help you need.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for your input, Dawn - I will email Lori to be sure she sees this post in case there is anything she can use in figuring out or fixing this problem.  If it's a timeout of some sort, I think I understand that issue as I ran into a similar situation on another website.

-Mike

2 people like this

Posted

Any word - I do not think I can solve on my end.  Thanks  - Dawn

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Dawn -

No... I doubt it's anything you can do on your end, though it doesn't seem to be something that everyone is experiencing.  In an email from Lori just yesterday, she advised me that she is trying to get someone from tech support at Invision or  at her hosting company to assist with the software upgrade.  She is hopeful that a successful upgrade will resolve the issue with uploading images, among other things.  Tech support has been the biggest issue now for about a year.

Hang in there... on behalf of Lori, thank you for understanding, your input, and most of all - your patience.
-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks Michael - It started with the upgrade -  I actually had a couple of photos successfully posted and they disappeared from the Group Photos - for all I know this is where the software corruption started.  I have some new photos to post but am waiting until we think it is fixed.  Best to you - Dawn

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Michael,

It might be a limit on the photo size - I just changed my cover photo - required a 700kb or less photo size.  All of the photos I have been trying to load are about 2mb.  Do you know what the photo size limit in kbs is?  Thanks Dawn

Edited by Dawn13
1 person likes this

Posted

Hiya Dawn -

I'll have to find out from Lori.  In the PM where we were discussing this issue, I had mentioned that all I could find as far as sizing were dimentions... but 2MB is most definitely a pretty large file, and could very well be part of the problem.  I'll try to find a large image file and see if I can upload it.  I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Stay tuned.....  

2 people like this

Posted

I just tried a smaller photo - 500KB.  This was a resubmit of one that I already posted.  The new copy did not make it - Same error 500 - so it does not appear to be size related.  Firewall??  permissions?? Operating system?? I have tried to post using my tablet and my desktop - both produce errors. --- Internet provider??   Dawn

Posted

Dawn -

I will pass this info on to Lori.

I tried the system again - you'll remember that I had been successful in uploading an image some time back when we were discussing this in PM.  I could not replicate the failure then - today I had different results.

1st try:  Upload failed - no error message, just a blank page.  File was 3.54MB.  All that appeared in the album was an empty image holder
2nd try: Upload failed - no error message, just a blank page.  File was 0.98MB.  All that appeared in the album was an empty image holder
3rd try:  Upload successful.  File was 156kb (about .15MB)
4th try:  Upload failed - no error message, just a blank page.  File was 518kb (about .5 MB).  This time, there was not even an empty image holder where the image should have been
5th try:  Upload successful.  File was 247kb (about .25MB)
6th try:  Upload failed - no  error message, just a blank page.  File was 379kb (about .37 MB).  Again, there was not even an empty image holder where the image should have been
7th try:  Upload failed - no  error message, just a blank page.  File was 292kb (about .28 MB).  No empty image holder where the image should have been
8th try:  Upload failed - no  error message, just a blank page.  File was 253kb (about .25 MB).  No empty image holder where the image should have been

On my end, it appears that uploads might be a hit-n-miss kinda thing now.  I was beginning to think that perhaps size was the issue as you can see the 1/2 MB file I attempted to upload failed just as yours did, but the first two smaller files loaded without any problem.  But when I tried again to upload a file that was only .25MB, that one failed.  I would think that if size was the problem, that last .25MB file upload would have been successful.

So, it's likely that the problem is not ours unless we happen to have the exact same environments.  This is what I'm working with:

Window 7 Home
        Firefox browser, 50.1.0
        Avast Anti-virus (free version)
        Windows firewall
        Cox broadband, 25mbps

And of course, this issue with image upload failures did not begin until the failed upgrade just a couple or so months ago.

-Mike

2 people like this

Posted

Mike - I too am using Windows 7, Other aspects = Broadband; Spectrum (Old Time Warner), Norton 360 and firewall connected to it - Dawn

Posted

Hello Mike,

I got it, posted my first photo in a while.  It is/was/appears to be a file size limit.  Still not sure what the exact size is but I do know that less than 100kb or less than 300x300 pixels will load.  Maybe the error should be designed to show this limitation.  (Not sure how to make the error show that way)  This is probably a limit set in the input parameters for the new software running the website.  Anyway, I should be able to post again but I will have to go through additional steps to decrease the size of my photo files.   Dawn

The below photo is only 63kb

Great - fb 2a.jpg