Miley Cyrus Talks Coming Out as Pansexual: "I Didn't Understand My Own Gender and My Own Sexuality"

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm not sure how this relates, but here's the excerpt that caught my attention:

"Once I understood my gender more, which was unassigned, then I understood my sexuality more. I was like, 'Oh—that's why I don't feel straight and I don't feel gay. It's because I'm not.'"

Here's the full article: http://www.eonline.com/news/801145/miley-cyrus-talks-coming-out-as-pansexual-i-didn-t-understand-my-own-gender-and-my-own-sexuality

2 people like this

Posted

Even though I have had sex with men and women I had never considered myself bi or gay.  I know I would be classified as bi and I have had gay sex but what do you call it when your mind is thinking different things.  I was told that SEX is in the mind.  So when I had sex with women my mind was predominately male and when I had sex with men my mind was predominately female.  To me I was having hetero sex no matter who I was having sex with.

5 people like this

Posted

I get tired of celebrities, especially children, acting like they made some big discovery and are being courageous. This doesn't even make sense to me, gender and sexual orientation are totally different things, men and women can all be pansexual, how does discovering they're "unassigned" lead to that realization?

Another celebrity getting attention for consequence-free "courage"

2 people like this

Posted

I get tired of celebrities, especially children, acting like they made some big discovery and are being courageous. 

​I also am weary of celebrities using their social status to act as if they are designated or important "experts" on much of anything unless they truly study and get their hands dirty.

In this case (and I'm no fan of Miley's!) I'm okay with it. Miley is risking something, perhaps, by speaking out about herself. And she is raising awareness especially among her fan base. I wonder how I would felt if, say, one of the Beatles had made a similar announcement. It might have really helped me as well as spawned a lot of discussion way back then!

2 people like this

Posted

It's a tough line - it's good that more stories are out there, but troubling (to me anyway) that celebrities get so much more attention. So it's not really that they're saying anything, I have no problem with that, it's that it gets so much more attention than others who don't have the same advantages. But I don't imagine that society is going to change all that much too soon :-)

In this case too I worry that the way Miley phrased it might contribute to the confusion people have over the difference between gender identity and sexual orientation. Having said that, at least in this case they were talking about themselves and their own identity. Another recent thing I saw was a picture of Jaden Smith wearing heels to some sort of event - whoever posted it was gushing over how brave he was and I thought "how so?" So that was a case where the media was attributing courage to someone who was more likely just looking for attention.

2 people like this

Posted

I think that it would be extremely difficult to come out if you are a celebrity because of the huge amount of attention you are going to get.  I had worried about what I would do if I had made it to the National Hockey League, which I was attempting to do.  Two things, how could I go out secretly and what would happen if I was caught and had to come out?  Coming out on your own terms is best but it has to take a huge amount of courage in my opinion.  I also know how extremely difficult it is for any of us to come out.  I will listen and empathize with anyone who is coming out with equal attention.  The amount of attention due to social status will not change until it no longer matters to anyone equally.  "Oh did you hear so and so came out as ...."  "So what."  

Bonnie

4 people like this

Posted

Even though I have had sex with men and women I had never considered myself bi or gay.  I know I would be classified as bi and I have had gay sex but what do you call it when your mind is thinking different things.  I was told that SEX is in the mind.  So when I had sex with women my mind was predominately male and when I had sex with men my mind was predominately female.  To me I was having hetero sex no matter who I was having sex with.

This is indeed a very clear and noteworthy explanation, Bonnie. :)