Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Southern Comfort Transgender Conference Has Been Discontinued As Of December 10, 2016

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Dear Friends,

Just learned that the Southern Comfort Transgender Conference in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, which meets on the last week of September every year, has been discontinued due to lawsuits against them.  The details can be learned by Googling "Southern Comfort Transgender Conference," and reading some of the websites that discuss it.  Can't vouch for any of their accuracy.  

It is a sad loss, but thank God, there are still many transgender conferences out there.

Monica

Posted

"The details can be learned by Googling "Southern Comfort Transgender Conference," and reading some of the websites that discuss it.  Can't vouch for any of their accuracy."  -- Monica

Sad indeed... I had hoped to make it there one day.

Anyway... here's a wiki page, and the SCTC own facebook page, both with limited info on what happened.  Seems that a "gag order" was part of a settlement on a rather lengthy lawsuit that recently concluded.

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

I just read their Facebook page. Not a lot of information but it seems that much has been going on for awhile. I wanted to go the conference at some point. I hope and pray that it does come back in some form.

1 person likes this

Posted

I wonder what they were sued for and from the sounds of it they must have lost a large sum.

Posted

I just found some additional info;

Dear SCTC family,

It is with a heavy heart that we must announce that 2016 was the last The Southern Comfort Transgender Conference (SCTC) as you have known it for the past 26 years.

What most of you don’t know is that we, the Southern Comfort Board of Directors (both current and a couple of past members), have been involved in a five year lawsuit that only recently concluded. Please don’t ask. As part of the settlement, we cannot discuss it at all.

Suffice it to say that it was a five year nightmare that completely handcuffed the BOD. Some have wondered why there were no new people brought onto the board. Now you know. Anyone that would have joined the BOD would have become unnecessarily involved in the litigation.

Fortunately, we did have liability insurance and that covered the legal fees of the case. However, as a result of being in a five year lawsuit, we were dropped by our insurance company (though they were obligated to continue until the lawsuit was resolved, which they did). Subsequently, SCTC had to find a new insurance policy. Only two companies would even offer a policy to us. Our premium went from $1300.00/year with no deductible to $11,000.00/year with a $25,000.00 deductible.

We just can’t afford this and, this lawsuit proved that we (the current BOD) simply cannot afford to run the conference without insurance. Had we not had the insurance policy, we would have been personally liable.

There is talk amongst a couple of the BOD to try to reorganize SCTC into something very new. Please continue your Facebook and Yahoo group presence to stay informed; any future updates on any plans will be posted to keep you informed. Otherwise, any money that is left in our account, which is being held in escrow by our attorney, will be donated to a worthy trans organization.

We’re sorry to bring you this sad news right before the holidays, but you deserve to know what’s going on.

It has been our extreme honor to serve you all throughout the years and we wish you all the best!

With love,
Your SCC/SCTC Board of Directors:
Shanti Keshavi devi dasi (Stefanie Schumacher)
Alexis Dee
Christy Anderson
Phyllis McCall

http://transgriot.blogspot.ca/2016/12/southern-comfort-conference-shuts-down.html

​BOD I am assuming means Board of Directors

Of course without knowing what they were sued for and why they lost makes it very difficult for other conferences to guard themselves against the very same thing don't you think?

Bonnie

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Bonnie,

Yes, BOD = board of directors.

I see in your link (thank you) that the lawsuit was about defamation accusations between a couple of speakers (surgeons) at the conference in 2011. I'm not a lawyer and it doesn't make sense to me why either would hold SCTC responsible, but evidently someone did. I suppose a way to handle this in the future is to have each speaker sign a release that limits the liability (to zero, probably) of the conference organization. I seem to recall having to sign such a form when speaking at (non-transgender) industry events in the past.

I agree 100% that they need insurance. I almost joined boards a couple of times and didn't because the organizations were so screwed up that even with insurance I wasn't prepared for the potential to have my personal life affected in such a way

Emma.

Edited by EmmaSweet