Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FIRST EVER LGBT exibition openes - Richmond Virginia

6 posts in this topic

Posted

last night in Richmond Virginia at the Valentine History center , I was both PROUD and Privileged to have been a participant along with my son Israel to 400 + visitors who helped make history in the former Capital of the Confederacy . I actually grew up in Richmond although a major portion of my life was in Houston and Dallas . Last summer , I was asked on face book if I would be a part of a Gay- Transgender exhibition . .

My reaction was , Hell Yeah ! Look, for once , someone was taking me seriously and I wanted to be a partner in this . For the first time , Transgender people shown as Family heads !!!! Suddenly , I was granted credibility . I went to the 1st day opening back on my "Real " birthday of 12-1 last year and I was stunned to see my portrait hum gallery style along with 18 other portraits in a setting where viewers can see short Biographical stories ad the people who comprise a family . In my case , we were photographed in the Valentine court yard , a lovely garden with ornate details of Horses and carriages of days gone by . I know were were with noted photographer , Michael Simon for well over two hours and Israel , tired as he was NEVER let on as to his exhaustion .

For weeks , then a month , I tirelessly advertised this show to all who MIGHT be interested . The gala opening was last night , 1-11-2017 . Thanks in part to gal pals , I was made over , primped and fussed over . I arrived to find friends who were just ahead to greet me and congratulate my being a celebrity of sorts . The show "One Love " is a first ever collaboration of several corporate sponsors who see Gay and Transgender people as who we are , citizens and contributors to society .

We were presented Valentine History center memberships , and a lovely copy of our portraits . It is my hope EVERYONE here will get time to see this historical showing .

Ellen Shaver by Susan Hendler 1-11-2017.jpg

One Love exhibit poster.jpg

Ellen - Israel official portrait at One Love show.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Fantastic, Ellen! I love your photo and especially the one with you and your son.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hi Ellen :)

SIncere congratulations! :) You have done a wondeful thing. The portrait is very nice, your Son is very handsome! The picture of you standing in the gallery is very pretty, WELL DONE. May the exhibition be an unqualified success ! I posted the exhibition poster to my FB page! 

Edited by Ronnie Virga
2 people like this

Posted

Ronnie , we had over 400 just for Opening night last Wednesday . Tomorrow , Saturday , we're going to have local dignataries  by in the afternoon . I dunno if I can make that as I'm pulling another exhibit I was a part of down today and maybe tomorrow .

2 people like this

Posted

Congratulations on a job well done, Ellen. I'm so happy that you and Israel present transgender families in a positive manner.  This is something I try and do everyday.

:D

2 people like this

Posted

Folks , we need to build on the momentum here ! Contact the valentine History Center in Richmond Virginia and arrange to have this exhibit expanded to include people who might be willing to be added and allow the show to come to YOUR City for an "ON LOAN " showing !!!!! Don't tell me we can't make it happen ....

3 people like this