Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Correctional Service Canada Reversing Transgender Inmate Placement Policy

1 post in this topic

Posted

On January 9, Correctional Service Canada released an updated policy for transgender inmates.  There were some changes around clothing and eligibility for GRS... but they reaffirmed their existing rule that prison placement would continue to be based on birth sex, rather than gender identity.

On January 12, in a town hall meeting in Kingston, ON, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was asked specifically about prison placement for transgender inmates.  Trudeau admitted the issue hadn't been on his radar, but that:

I will make sure we look at it and we address it and we do right in recognizing that trans rights are human rights and we need to make sure we are defending everyone's dignity and rights in every way we can.

And the next day, January 13, CSC issued a statement indicating that they will now (on a case by case basis) be "considering" placement for transgender inmates based on gender identity instead of genitalia.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/transgender-inmates-placement-policy-1.3934796

It doesn't sound like a definitive rule yet, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.  And I do have faith that Trudeau's government will see this through, so I can see it becoming a definitive rule in the near future.

1 person likes this