Followers 0

Audience divided by Outlets = Reach

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Audience divided by Outlets = Reach

Reaching.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Hmmm, I think there's a math error here, Erica. Since the Audience "A" is smaller for each Outlet "O" then Reach "R" (which is the quantity of people receiving the message) needs to be... R = A x O, not R = A / O.  

Equally (if not more) important is achieving "Top of Mind Awareness" (TOMA). Some decades ago I worked professionally in radio broadcasting in San Francisco, where TOMA was what we were always trying to maximize. You know, when you're actually aware of the advertisement (or topic).  TOMA is achieved by a combination of Reach and Frequency, the idea being that if you run an ad (or a story) once, it doesn't sink into the audience's consciousness. Audiences are blasted with all sorts of messages and it takes repetition and variety to finally break in so they understand and think about it.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

But the audience is divided (example: A group listens to Fox News only. Another group listens to MSNBC only. If they both don't do the same story one of those groups doesn't hear it since they are two groups divided.) by the number of outlets making the reach smaller for each outlet. Therefore we need to copy and paste the same article, the same speech, the same video, ect. to as many platforms as we can to reach a larger audience. I'm sure you are correct in the math. I'm just a philosopher, lol

As activists on line we have a few things that can happen. We do or say something that goes viral so it's shared to every outlet by others than ourselves, but that has about the same odds as the lottery. Or we can speak and speak and speak increasing the chances of being heard. So diversity of outlets needs to go into that equation also. 

Edited by EricaRavenwood
I have dyslexia so doing many spelling corrections.
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hmmm, I think there's a math error here, Erica. Since the Audience "A" is smaller for each Outlet "O" then Reach "R" (which is the quantity of people receiving the message) needs to be... R = A x O, not R = A / O.  

Equally (if not more) important is achieving "Top of Mind Awareness" (TOMA). Some decades ago I worked professionally in radio broadcasting in San Francisco, where TOMA was what we were always trying to maximize. You know, when you're actually aware of the advertisement (or topic).  TOMA is achieved by a combination of Reach and Frequency, the idea being that if you run an ad (or a story) once, it doesn't sink into the audience's consciousness. Audiences are blasted with all sorts of messages and it takes repetition and variety to finally break in so they understand and think about it.

​Damn it Jim! I'm a philosopher! Not a mathematician! :D

tqiz6.jpg

Edited by EricaRavenwood
1 person likes this

Posted

I shared your math btw Emma. Sharing Your formula as a correction to mine. On Many platforms. :) I used nothing else. I just copied your formula and gave credit to "a friend smarter than myself".

2 people like this

Posted

Emma, wisdom you said that I missed in my replies. Yes!!! We need repetition! Repetition of the SAME message, over and over and over. and over until the world says "I get it! Stop saying it!" Because then we know it's something they won't forget. As a "T" we need to simplify our public message and all just start to shout it. 

Gingerbread concept.jpg

Posted

Hey Erica,

I am laughing out loud by myself, sitting here at my little desk in a cabin in Mesa, Arizona, trying to stay warm. 

Yeah, I'm an engineer by training (about four decades ago - I'm getting on in years) and so math kinda pops out at me. It's almost like it speaks. I know what you meant to say, that the key is to get the message out to as many outlets as possible. No longer is it sufficient to air it on one (or all three!) of the major TV networks. One has to gain audiences piece-meal, in all sorts of platforms.

And take a look at Trump with Twitter. He's thumbing his nose at all of the stalwarts that most of us have relied on. That said, when was the last time you watched the "evening news" on TV? I hardly ever do so but I recall many an evening sitting with my parents...

As far as the same message or not, I'm sure you're correct, that sameness is better. But we must also respect that audiences are subdivided in many ways. Some like Twitter, some like FB, and still others like who knows what. And even within FB and Twitter are different channels and audiences. So while the basic message is constant the delivery of that message needs to be tailored to the channel (so they will accommodate it) and the respective audience (so they may actually listen). 

PR is a tough job. An early step is to identify the target audience(s), determine which communication channels best reach them, and tailor the delivery accordingly. 

In the end I think that the increase in overall transgender awareness and communication is amazing. Even with my small group. I'm not nearly as outspoken as you at least for now. But multiply us by, say, 1000 others, and you have that many more in the audience who will find that they not only can't deny us but they know and love people like us, just like everyone else. 

We have to break through into positive dinner table conversations where we are less threatening, just another valid group of people on this planet, in this country... next-door neighbors.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

(Uploaded on Mar 9, 2008) You just reminded me of a message I put out in a video on a youtube channel I no longer use. It was made a little over a year after I started living full time, the first time. Something you said brought back a period of healing, and forgiving, and learning. Anyway, this channel? I haven't looked at in forever. Actually I can't do anything with it since I forgot the password long ago, lol. It was a healthy outlet for me though. Therapeutic in my healing and surviving the real world I was now walking in. My first video I ever made, and then posted to that channel, was after I was released from the hospital due to a suicide attempt on January 7th 2007. I want to share the channel. I also want to look at the few videos that I made during that time myself. Maybe we'll see something we can apply to today's circumstances.

The video that came to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeKRFoFeBwM 

Channel link.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLIenqFsUfGB7625xG7R9hA 

Edited by EricaRavenwood
1 person likes this

Posted

Emma. Thank you for laughing :lol: and Thank You! for reminding me to look at this channel again after so many years. :wub:

1 person likes this

Posted

Be aware of this, my friend. I'm laughing with you, not AT you!  :P You're a good sport.

2 people like this