US transgender people rush to legally change gender in wake of Donald Trump's win

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is shocking news, that diverts natural transition of transitioning transgenders, where they are forced to get surgical procedures in a hurry, that in turn could lead to later ambiguity.

US transgender people rush to legally change gender in wake of Donald Trump's win. Source http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/16/us-transgender-people-rush-to-legally-change-gender-in-wake-of-d/

The video I made three weeks ago primarily dealing with transgenders issues in light of Donald Trump's election win and their individual outcomes as a result.

Watch https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TQCuvETUhmU

Edited by cross2play
1 person likes this

Posted

Personally I would like to slow down my transition for further couple of years. But I am just imagining my own transition if I were inside US to be speed up!! Thank goodness i am not there I get to do what I want to be as human and transgenders.

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't see why transgender people are being rushed. It would seem that this is being lead by blind fear.

Posted

There is an interesting trend recently in a transgender group I belong to on Facebook which is that the majority (and the majority are between the age of 20 through 30) are indeed rushing their legal name changes but have reversed their thoughts on fully transitioning. Matter of fact many could careless if they "pass" and that the majority in the group see this as a trigger to their dysphoria which seems odd until I also notice many see themselves as not one gender but fluid in their gender.

The above refers to both male and female although I've seen no drop in the percentage of female to male that are moving forward with breast removal.

So at least in this group they are not what I've seen in prior years and will be interesting to see where this ends up. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't see why transgender people are being rushed. It would seem that this is being lead by blind fear.

​Trump, his cabinet, and most of the Republican legislatures are promoting and executing policies that generate a lot of concern. I don't blame people who're already feeling marginalized from taking action sooner than later, before the possibility of those actions are disabled. This includes trans people as well as immigrants, gays, lesbians. 

If anyone here is in favor of Trump et al, that's fine. Please don't throw me under the bus. I just felt that Archangel might appreciate understanding where the fear is coming from. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I hope this blind fear doesn't cause some to go out and do things in the direction of transition... such as getting their names changed... and outing themselves before they are ready.  We might have to see a therapist before beginning hormones, but I think all barriers to getting one's name changed have been all but dropped.  It would be bad for a person to change their name, especially if that name is one that is traditionally gender-specific, if they are not quite ready to go full head on.

There is no doubt that this administration is causing discomfort for the TGLB community... and I think especially for those of us in the "T" part of the family with all the threats of un-doing everything that's been gained over the past eight years.

-Mike

3 people like this

Posted

I just can't comprehend, if someone because of pressures, rushed into god for sake surgery only to learn it wasn't required later on whether m to f or f to m !  

I would only suggest everyone to be patient, be secluded, and most of all adapt higher conscience in focusing where you are heading towards in future.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I certainly wasn't talking about transitioning either hormonally or surgically. I was following the theme of the thread which was about changing their legal gender. In and of itself a big step, but nothing that can't be undone if desired in the future.

Edited by EmmaSweet
1 person likes this

Posted

​Of course it is, and it's the same blind fear we saw when gun sales show through the roof before Obama took office, just a different detail (Getting a gun for one change, getting a document for another, same emotional mechanism in play).  People don't know what's going to happen, and they want to settle the things that matter to them while it can be.  However, what worries me is, if the government really wants to they can revoke the new documentation as easily as they gave it out.  I hope I'm wrong and it doesn't get that crazy. 

3 people like this

Posted

Briannah  have you taken a look at my playboOK (I hate having to operate  from a tablet) or we have the same same syle with respect to making arguements?

I am no Trump fan, I don't like how the press in portraying/treating him. For example when he signed the excutive order for temporary banning refuses coming from known sources that are trying to kill us, and the press made it look it he was banning all Muslims.When the reality was he was buying time so so that a reliable  vetting process can be established. (Having a process to verify or a chance to Chek to see if they won't try to kill us, etc.) Or during the ignagution the was a press story that gave the President the image of he was a racist over a picture, bust ,or whatever of MLK and that turned out to be false.

Posted

Whether it's banning people from a particular country, or banning people of a particular faith... transgender people are worried because Drumpf has an anti-gay and anti-transgender history.  In the past, he has made some VERY derogatory statements about transgender women - check out this thread (hopefully any associated links are still good).  Personally... I don't believe he's changed.  Not to mention he has a vice-prez who's anti-TGLB stance is even more rabid than his own, AND he's surrounding himself with people notorious for their respective anti-TGLB attitudes.

Therefore, no matter what this latest ban is really all about, the fact remains, he is doing whatever he can so far to over-ride, dilute, erase, erradicate, undo, unravel, or otherwise reverse many things accomplished or put into place in the last eight years.  Considering the way he lies, twist facts and flip-flops on topics, we could wake up one morning and find everything that has been put in place to afford trans people what little  we have - wiped out.

So, is the fear logical?  Maybe not.  But it's certainly expected and understandable.  From where we stand, it's harder to trust politicians than it is for the average, cisgender individual.  Remember, they are the ones who feel it's perfectly alright to deny certain groups the same rights that others have.  Marginalized people too often are forced to walk a narrow path, never knowing if the path will be widened, or if they'll just be pushed smooth off that path.

And while I don't wanna push this topic too far out in left field, the media has not portrayed Drumpf as anything but what he is ......

-Mike

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm worried on so many levels with the Trump administration, and the travel ban is just a small part (especially as there already ARE vetting processes and the Trump administration is counting on us not knowing that, or not being aware that crime statistics hold refugees as the lowest percentage and native born far and away the largest group). 

More immediate is people dying from unsafe water, and the new administration shutting down the investigation into Flint and putting a gag order on the epa so they legally cannot even say don't drink the water, it's not safe.  These are peoples lives.  This is not an ideological difference of opinion.  My personal hierchy is life/general safety, rights of all, reasonable special interests, personal wants from strongest concerns to weakest concerns.  If we can't even trust our government with something so basic as the safety of drinking water, how do we trust them with bigger issues? 

The crowd count issue and the 'alternative facts' as if a number of people isn't a numerical fact and we could all visually SEE the difference and nastiness to the reporters is worrisome.  If the news can't even report on a numerical fact he doesn't like, how will we ever know if something unsafe is being done?  If the man can't handle the fact that he won on an electoral technicality, and does NOT have the mandate of the public, and it showed visibly in his crowds which should have been a voice of reason "Maybe I need to at least listen to the people", but instead threw hissy fits, threatened reporters, and treated us all like we're in kindergarten and can't count, there is no reliable way any of us will know in time to pursue legal means to stop bad situations from being made legal.  The whole point of America is the people are supposed to have a voice, and that voice is being demonstrated clearly in phone calls, marches, protests, and communication on the internet...and being ignored. 

So on the topic, do I think transgender people should settle things now? If they are CERTAIN, and the reality is not all transgender people are born certain they are also transexual, then yes they should do what they need to do while the services/access to services are there now.  Because there are very clear, visible warning signs that those things could be yanked away again.  American has forgotten how to America, that freedom of choice is not freedom to make the same choice as everyone else, but freedom to choose the other choices and live in peace without violence, harassment, or second class citizenship.  Things are already going dangerously wrong, and it's only been a couple of weeks.  I don't know what will happen.  I don't know if this is the worst of it, or if it will get much worse out there.  I can't reliable say to anyone who needs transition to have a happy life don't worry about it, this is just a phase, because I have no idea what harmful legislation may come out and how long ti will take to untangle it all.  I know I live in a country with a state that literally just gave a rapist the right to sue a woman who has an abortion for a pregnancy resulting from that attack.  And I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how to feel safe in a country where a man can forcefully take control of my body, violate it, and then take masses of money and time from me in a lawsuit if I don't want to raise a child that was literally forced into my body in violence.  So I'm sure as hell not going to say to any transgender person don't worry, you'll be fine, it's safe and okay, because it's just not. 

And selfish as it is, I'm more grateful than ever that the last years personal and professional exploration of who Nikki is revealed gender fluid, and he doesn't desire to transition, because the violence that is starting to erupt around the country is scaring me.  We mostly blend quietly in.  I'm scared for all the people who don't blend into Trump and cronies view of what Americans should look, worship, act, and be like are facing out there right now, and will face going forward. 

I hate politics.  I hate talking about them, really.  And I really hate that my country has reached the point where I can't avoid it anymore. 

2 people like this

Posted

Here's something else to consider...just as some states (like SC) have illegalized protections that any of their cities have adopted, and made it illegal for others to try to do the same, Drumpf could scrawl his signature onto some executive order illegalizing any protections that any state has adopted.   Might not happen... but they might try.  Just because he's backed off removing protections at the federal level [for now], doesn't mean it won't be revisited.  And who's to say he and his cronies won't try to brainstorm for some legal way they can make a country-wide sweeping law that makes ANY protections - existing or future - illegal?  For now they've got their hands full with that other issue about who can or can't enter the country, and the constitutionality of it all.  After that's ironed out... that loose cannonball will be rolling all around again.

2 people like this

Posted

And it's really disturbing to see our PRESIDENT throwing temper tantrums and talking about federal judges who don't rule his way the way he does.  :(  IT's scary, like there is a toddler in control of our country and not a grown man. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Granted that I have been silent these last few days (real life and all). On a personal note, I am considering to start a thread in the forum. But I am concerned about the digital footprint I do trust the poeple who are active here to a degree, it's the inactive poeple I have concerns about. Bottom line line is the concern is what I do not see.

Getting back to the thread it seems that there are a lot of worms has spawned here. But in interest of keeping to topic of the thread. I need to start with this. What is the federal government's role with respect to transgender? And as a follow up question, do they have any constitutional authority for the actions they are taking?

Edited by Archangel

Posted

The federal government's role with respect to transgender is the same as it is to ever other group, ensure their civiil liberties and rights are being maintained.  That means protections from discrimination, follow up on violence against people in the group (especially cases where it's not random violence but targeted hate violence), and that they are treated equally in public as everyone else by businesses, emergency personal, and authorities.  And yes they have the constitutional authority to do this, as these are protections that are written into the constitution that are supposed to be extended to ALL citizens, no exceptions.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks, I was looking for special provisions within the law, etc.

Posted

Thanks, I was looking for special provisions within the law, etc.

Then look at the equality laws, and replace the word black/hispanic/asian/gay/with transgender.  Same social crazy, different minor detail.  There doesn't have to be new and exciting laws, just the same basic protections everyone else has.  And if people would deal with others that are dfiferent from them better, we wouldn't need that even, but they don't so it has to be codified into law or minorities suffer unfortunately.  The laws arleady exist, just for different groups.

1 person likes this

Posted

Gotcha, personally I say the ultimate solution lays within the culture and not legislation. Which is why it is important for us to stand together untied in common principles regardless of the group. With that said, I am pretty sure that one person that operates on a national stage you would be surprised to hear. 

Posted

Of course it depends on the culture.  However, that change isn't natural.  If it was, people would be over racism by now, we've been fighting that one for centuries and yet people still bring up thier children with it.  And racism isn't inhernetly natural, it's a learned behavior.  That we keep teaching as a large part of our society, the same society that advertises itself as the leaders of the free world and giant melting pot.  You're not really the leaders of the free world when you are condoning violence on your weaker members for being different by not standing up and saying stop, not okay.  That change requires laws enforcing the consequences of treating others poorly to slowly readjust the citizenry to the understanding that all people are just...people. 

It's like hunting licenses and laws preventing personal water collection in the western states.  People view those laws as intrusive and infantilizing, and those are often cited as examples why the government needs to butt out.  But the reality is, without careful wildlife management and limits on harvesting, humans will hunt the animals to extinction and there won't be anything for the next generation.  And in those states water collection by a mass of individuals has a serious effect on the environment and availability of water to both people, plants, and wildlife.  But no one thinks about all the other hunters and water cisterns out there, they're all thinking "I don't take much, it's not a big deal'.  But they're not considering the aggregate consequences of all the individuals like them, or how big a deal it really is, and they don't have access to the data.  Rules are important to the survival of all of us, because we have some very serious psychological flaws as a species even in those with healthy brains functioning as intended.  When we evolved past the point of an even balance with predators and the environment, we seriously changed the rules, but our brains haven't caught up yet.  The same dynamic shows in why we need an epa, I worked for a small business, and despite being the part time receptionist, I got the EPA permits dumped on me to do because everyone at the business thought it was intrustive and ridiculous that htey had to answer questions about the pollutants they are putting into the air.  Like I'd ever even picked up a paint brush or even knew what brands of paint and chemicals we bought.  We don't do a LOT of painting, but we do enough, with all the other small businesses, to be an aggregate problem that SOMEONE needs to be responsible for tracking and managing for the health of everyone today and tomorrow.  It's an ongoing problem.  And the same is true for cultural issues where people harm others for being different.  Especially the potential damage the aggregate of people can cause. 

The worse part is that we grew up in a country teaching us all are created equal, the rights to live, liberty, and happiness are inalienable, and the constitution applies to all, and we're still having to have the arguement over why not everyone has basic rights.

1 person likes this