Transgender Day Of Remembrance - A New Date for a brighter tomorrow.

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Transgender Day Of Remembrance - A New Date for a brighter tomorrow.

I made this suggestion about a month ago. To have the Transgender Day of Remembrance on a Friday in Spring. We, The Livingston County Rainbow Alliance will be doing this.

Edited by EricaRavenwood
1 person likes this

Posted

TDOR in Spring. This is an idea I threw out there last month some time. In Spring We Grieve for those lost the year before on Friday. We Heal on Saturday by Celebrating Life. We sober on Sunday. And we hit the ground running on Monday, ready to address the very big fish we still need to fry. The group I work with will be doing this. My group can encompass more than half of western New York state. Consider doing a form of it. 

I know time is tight but not, not doable.

Remember also though, it doesn't have to be huge. Small groups of families and friends to lean on each other as we remember those lost. Go to a bar and do a toast. A wake comes in many styles. Celebration of life the next day? Celebrate life with people you care about, and you support, and who support you.

Even if many only did a small representation of what I'm suggesting it would still be the largest acknowledgement of The Day of Remembrance we've ever seen.

#TDORinSpring

1 person likes this

Posted

Please do not take this the wrong way. What has this person done to warrant a day of remembrance. If I were to make a call of who gets one, I would nominate you and people like you. My rationale for that is your service to the communty (by raising awareness, bring an avocate, building bridges, etc.). If you are looking for an example, how about Martin Luther King Jr, and Gandhi as examples. They gave their life in devoted service to their respective communities. Granted that I don't know well at the moment; however, you seem to have a passion for this. I stopping now due to I'm just rambling at this point.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The Day of Remembrance historically is a way to remember / grieve the lose of the murdered over the course of the year. A reading of each name out loud. The method by which most transgender people are murdered are horrific. Death by stoning is not an uncommon reason to see among some who have been killed. Repeatedly run over by a vehicle is another method that tends to show up each year. Yeah, it's not an award show where we give out prizes for involvement. It's a remembrance of people who were taken from this earth violently and well before their time. Each year has been emotionally exhausting. Therefore I would like to make a few changes, and my group is.

Ad.thumb.jpg.f4cb353eef60e9eb164395c9b3e

Edited by EricaRavenwood
1 person likes this

Posted

Has the website been helping to you in learning?

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes and discussing things here has been a big help. Your website is good for getting the mechanics (how things work like the gingerbread diagram, the treatment information, etc.)  of being transgender. It seems that more I learn the more intrigued I become. I am still having a challenge understand gender fluid folk by the way. Being active on this forum has given me a better understanding of the issues of the community and where I can fit in. If I am going to be humble and candid here, combination of your website and this forum has rekindled my curiosity about myself. I thank you for that, it this makes my convictions this much more clear to me. I'm sure I can go on infinite tandems so I am stopping myself here. 

3 people like this

Posted

Yes and discussing things here has been a big help. Your website is good for getting the mechanics (how things work like the gingerbread

Gender fluid is what my spouse is.  Nikki doesn't fully internally fit with either full male or full female, but somewhere in between that flexes one way some days and another both days.  Like most things, gender is a spectrum.  Some people fit firmly in one spot on the spectrum, some slide around a small or large portion of the spectrum.  Some feel no identification with the current understanding of gender entirely, and those people are called agender. 

There is very little in the human experience that isn't on a spectrum in my life experience.  We as humans tend to want things to be black or white, a or b, easily understood in terms of a simple binary.  But it's all way more complicated, and more simple, than that.  It's complicated to figure out, but then simple to let everyone live as they are comfortable once we do instead of forcing people into roles that don't make them happy.  Without violence or cruelty. 

There is a lot of things people do out there i don't get.  I can't relate to it, can't understand why anyone would pursue it.  But I respect that they have the right to pursue what makes them happy and I don't need to fully understand a thing to respect someone's right to it.  An example, the adult baby world.  I have brushed up against it in a past relationship, and exited politely and promptly.  But I didn't make fun of the ex, never told anyone about it in a way identifiable to that person, and don't make fun of them.  I will never 'get it', but that's life.  It's not hurting them or anyone else, so I don't get a vote and my opinion on it really doesn't matter in terms of them being able to do their thing.  The only vote that was mine to have was, this isn't my thing, this isn't going to work out because their thing and my thing aren't at all compatible. 

Now that I see it written out, I realize that this is what more people need to realize and let people just be.  The violence against transgender people is a form of terrorism, live how I want you live or I will kill you.  And terrorism is NEVER okay.  So that's why a Remembrance Day is important, just like it is for all victims of unprovoked violence.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I've been asked for more guidance from groups on how they can go about putting a TDOR in Spring together. This is the working diagram I made for our group but rather than waiting for final decisions I will share this with you. Our treasurer says money is a concern. Isn't money always a concern? Even inexpensive and bare bones we, WE, can put together the largest acknowledgment of TDOR to date. Even if we don't all use the same date this go around.

Basic series of events #TDORinSpring.jpg

Edited by EricaRavenwood
1 person likes this

Posted

I know money is an issue. Being that I'm on disability but still enjoy giving I've learned to think in terms of good charity inexpensively.

Mini Transgender Week.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm bonking myself in the head. In this thread of all threads I haven't shared the one of the three events I had asked to be filmed. This is The Transgender Day of Remembrance 2015 at United Church of Christ, Lakeville NY.

I want to make this extreme sadness that I then have to recover from for several days into something more positive. An event entering light. My personal selfishness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zMAYNjVbFI 

Edited by EricaRavenwood
1 person likes this

Posted

Hi all,

Was working on this project today. I am currently tracking down display boards we may be able to borrow. They were used at the Wadsworth Library this last summer and I remembered them thinking they were kinda awesome. I called the library and they said "I know! We want them too but no, they aren't ours." I was given a contact which lead to who actually owns them. A photography club in Perry. I have the contact info for the president of the club and will call her in the morning.

I know money is an issue. Being that I'm on disability but still enjoy giving I've learned to think in terms of making good charity inexpensive. That's how I'm viewing this project as well. I think some printing, a few craft items for the kids (which I will be donating some), food for a BBQ and some gas money to get kids to and fro is about what we need to pull off something really nice that can become a yearly event. I know we can do this. God said so.

Erica :)

#TDORinSpring
1 person likes this

Posted

Know that I copy and paste quite a bit. I copy and paste to our leaders. I copy and paste to our friends. I copy and paste to our enemies. I copy and paste but never do I name names other than my own. I will speak, perhaps using your words to make the point, but never will I intentionally put anyone in danger other than myself.

1 person likes this

Posted

I still want to do the TDOR is Spring thing, but am getting yelled at because people say they "own" that term and god forbid we do anything positive that others can follow suit if they want without infighting and childish ego's getting in the way. We can call it "F, you all we are doing it anyway week" for all I care.

Anyway, I'm switching up the graphics and I can repeal and replace most all of them. Does anyone have an issue with "Transgender Awareness Week in Spring" #TAWinSpring? Or has someone already started a toy product line around that? Yes I'm frustrated. That anything as simple and positive should be looked at as a negative, not by those we are trying to reach, but by those who claim they wish to stop abuse of a people but are too concerned with their 501c to do it in a timely manner.

So much of what I want to do is built in. So much can come without cost. Carolyn told me her kids at Livonia are chomping at the bit for something to participate in. I want to allow the kids to make the displays during the week after school. We can contact the other schools to invite them but we have kid participation built in already. I want us to spend time with them that week. Discuss the history. Give guidance and give support while they create and learn. I want the displays set up like an art exhibit people can wander among, and now those children who are excited and proud to show off their creation, are also our little ambassadors who can explain, I'm sure in great detail, to anyone willing to listen. On Friday I just want to allow us to be there as adults and talk to people.

I have been working on details. Venue for Friday and Saturday. Activities that won't cost us a dime. We can discuss details in another page of the thread. But I want the basic concept. We Grieve, We Heal, We Sober, We Work.

Erica Elizabeth Ravenwood

#TAWinSpring #transgender #LGBT #lgbtq

TAW in Spring 3.jpg

TAW in Spring 1.jpg

TAW in Spring 2.jpg