Gender revolution - National Geographic tonight

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Saw this was on tonight and thought it would be prudent to share this. It's a two hour show for exploring the rapidly evolving complexities of gender identity.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/gender-revolution-a-journey-with-katie-couric/

There will be a discussion on Facebook afterwards (there are many comments already at the following link)

https://www.facebook.com/natgeo/videos/10154346035928951/

2 people like this

Posted

I found it to be an excellent documentary and hope that Katie and Nat Geo see a substantial increase in viewership and interest that encourages them to produce more work in this area. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I recorded the show and will view it tonight. Looking forward to watching it.

1 person likes this

Posted

If you have not watched this show by all means do so as it's extremely well put together. 

Topics

• Inter-sex (horrible to what has been done to some of them)
  • MTF
  • Various countries with 3 or 6 legal gender markers (some for centuries) 
  • FTM
  • Youth
  • Different generations
  • Marci Bowers (she now has a three year waiting list)
  • Other professionals and their opinions on the topics above
1 person likes this

Posted

Where can I get a link of program on Internet?

1 person likes this

Posted

While I did like the coverage in the areas Karen mentioned above, it seems to me that Katie Couric still doesn't get it.  I mean...she's doing better - but she still has a bit to learn.
________________________________________________________________________________________

For U.S residents, the program airs again Friday night, 10 February 2017, in the same time slot it ran on the 6th.

The program can be viewed on the NatGeo website, but only if your TV provider participates in the on-demand feature.

It appears that the program be viewed on show.tv-watchonline.com... but you have to register on that site.  I do not know if there are any other requirements, or if the site and registering come with unwanted baggage

There are also several YouTube vids that point a viewer to an offsite location for watching the program.  Again, I do not know if there are any requirements other than having to register, or if the various sites and registering come with unwanted baggage

-Mike

2 people like this

Posted

I agree that Katie wasn't perfect, but I'm not sure what would be. My sense was that she was sincerely trying to dive into the subject, to provide a kind and supportive view of what is so very unfamiliar to most. 

I will say that I was disappointed with the National Geographic issue itself. I ran out to buy a copy the day it hit the newsstand. It's good that gender and transgender is entering the mainstream consciousness so I shouldn't complain I guess. But it fell pretty flat for me.

Emma

1 person likes this