Trump administration poised to change transgender student bathroom guidelines

24 posts in this topic

Posted

The Trump administration plans to roll back protections for transgender students, reversing federal guidance that required the nation’s public schools to allow children to use the bathrooms and locker rooms that matched their gender identities.

In a letter to the nation’s schools, administration officials plan to say they are withdrawing guidance issued by the Obama administration that found that denying transgender students the right to use the bathroom of their choice violates federal prohibitions against sex discrimination, according to a draft of the letter obtained by The Washington Post.

“This interpretation has given rise to significant litigation,” states the two-page draft, which indicates that the Education and Justice departments plan to issue it jointly. The draft says administrators, parents and students have “struggled to understand and apply the statements of policy” in the Obama-era guidance.

As a result, the departments “have decided to withdraw and rescind the above-referenced guidance documents in order to further consider the legal issues involved.” The letter makes clear that schools must protect all students and that the withdrawal of the guidance “does not diminish the protections from bullying and harassment that are available to all students. Schools must ensure that transgender students, like all students, are able to learn in a safe environment.”

A final version of the letter is slated to be issued Wednesday, according to a Republican operative with knowledge of the conversations within the Trump administration on the issue. The administration is expected to release the letter despite objections from Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, who did not want to rescind the guidance, the operative said. Officials with the Education and Justice departments did not immediately respond to requests for comment late Tuesday night.

More here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/trump-administration-poised-to-change-transgender-student-bathroom-guidelines/2017/02/21/cd690204-f7bf-11e6-9845-576c69081518_story.html?utm_term=.7d4a1d421d4d

2 people like this

Posted

From what I heard they view it as a states rights issue and each state should be allowed to deal with the issue as it sees fit.  I do not agree.  No human rights issues being given to states without federal guidelines in my experience has ever gone well.  And students are required by law to attend school of some form, they don't get a choice, so the least we can do as a country is make sure that school is safe for them while they are there.  I think schools in general need to be more on top of student behavior on the grounds, and deal with bullying and cruelty of students of all issues that make them targets and protect our vulnerable personally.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

My heart is broken but I'm not surprised at all by this. I was happy to read about Betsy DeVos' attempt to fight against it but evidently her backbone isn't strong enough to stand up to Trump and Jeff Sessions, the new AG. My hope now is that the Supreme Court will back Gavin Grimm's case. I don't know but that might be enough to make Trump's action moot.  

But regardless, with each of Trump's nutty and hurtful and egomaniacal actions, he is adding fuel to the fire to stand up to him and his so-called government. Today while riding my bike I hummed "We Shall Overcome." We shall, someday.

Edited by EmmaSweet
1 person likes this

Posted

You could not pay  me enough money in the world to want to be the next president who will have to start cleaning up this environmental, economical, social, and international mess.

1 person likes this

Posted

The challenge that we face is sex vs gender. If we can get poeple to accept we should look at the gender rather than sex that will go a long way. I do not know how to frame that arguement to where the opposition can accept that.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hmmmm, I had posted to this thread, but it's mysteriously gone...

UPDATE ----

THE DEED'S BEEN DONE -

Greg Toppo , USATODAY Published 7:57 p.m. ET Feb. 21, 2017 | Updated 4:57 p.m.
"Fifteen states have explicit protections for transgender students, and many individual school districts in other states have adopted policies that recognize students on the basis of their gender identity, Sarah Warbelow, legal director of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) told The Associated Press. Just one state, North Carolina, has enacted a law restricting students' bathroom access to their sex at birth. But so far this year, lawmakers in more than 10 states are considering similar legislation, according to the National Conference of State Legislators."  --usatoday.com

Trump administration changes transgender student bathroom rules

1 person likes this

Posted

Feb 23, 8:03 AM EST
The Latest: Evancho wants to 'enlighten' Trump on policies

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Latest on the Trump administration's decision on public school bathrooms and transgender students. (all times local):

7:30 a.m.

The singer who performed at President Donald Trump's inauguration says she wants to meet with the president to "enlighten him" on what her transgender sister endures at her high school.

The Trump administration has ended an Obama directive telling public schools to let transgender students use bathrooms of their chosen gender.

Singer Jackie Evancho says she was disappointed by that. Evancho tells ABC's "Good Morning America" she has not heard from Trump after asking him via Twitter to meet with her and 18-year-old transgender sister Juliet, who was born "Jacob."

Evancho says she wanted to enlighten trump on what her sister and people like her endure. Evancho's sister says she deals with discrimination "every day" with people saying "horrible things" to her.

More here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TRANSGENDER_BATHROOMS_THE_LATEST?SITE=SCAND&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&SECTION=HOME

1 person likes this

Posted

Feb 23, 8:05 AM EST

End of transgender bathroom rule gets conservative praise

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Conservatives are praising the Trump administration's rollback of public school bathroom requirements for transgender students, saying the move corrects a legal overreach by the Obama administration that is best left for states to decide. Transgender rights advocates, meanwhile, are vowing to overcome a major setback.

"We're not discouraged. And we're going to keep fighting like we have been and keep fighting for the right thing," said Gavin Grimm, a transgender teen who sued his Virginia high school over its bathroom access policy and whose case is set to be heard by the Supreme Court next month.

The Justice and Education departments said Wednesday that public schools no longer need to abide by the Obama-era directive instructing them to allow transgender students to use bathrooms and locker rooms of their chosen gender. That guidance, issued in May, led to a spate of lawsuits over how it should be applied, according to a letter from the departments being sent to schools nationwide.

The agencies said they withdrew the guidance to "in order to further and more completely consider the legal issues involved."

Anti-bullying safeguards for students will not be affected by the change, according to the letter. But advocates of protections for transgender teens said the overall rollback sends "a message that something is wrong with them, which is harmful," said Nancy Haque, co-executive director of Basic Rights Oregon.

More here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TRANSGENDER_BATHROOMS?SITE=SCAND&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&SECTION=HOME

1 person likes this

Posted

The short, troubled life of Obama’s transgender student protections

Well-intended as they might have been, President Barack Obama’s protections for transgender students were on shaky ground from the get-go.

As quickly as the Obama administration rolled out the protections last year, the Trump administration on Wednesday revoked them, saying they were devised without enough legal analysis. All told, it took little more than the stroke of the new attorney general’s pen to undo one of Obama’s signature civil rights initiatives.

Then again, it didn’t take much more than the stroke of a pen to enact the protections, either. And that’s ultimately what doomed them when President Trump took office.

Last May, as national debate over transgender rights was reaching a boiling point, the Obama administration directed schools across the country to allow transgender students to use bathrooms, locker rooms and other facilities that match their gender identity rather than their sex assigned at birth.

The directive came in the form of a “Dear Colleague” letter to educational institutions. In it, administration officials said barring students from bathrooms that matched their gender identities amounted to sex discrimination, violating the Title IX federal anti-discrimination law.

More here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/23/the-short-troubled-life-of-obamas-transgender-student-protections/?utm_term=.3f58255a74f3

1 person likes this

Posted

(A piece of a news collection)

The sleeper story: The revocation of protections for transgender students to use bathrooms that correspond to their gender identities would be big enough by itself. But it’s only a piece of a far larger story of White House influence and rivalries, and how the Trump administration plans to handle hot-button social issues. President Trump has bragged about his commitment to protecting LGBTQ rights. While the administration is downplaying the actual impact of this move, its symbolic value is enormous. It shows the president is willing to side with social conservatives in his inner circle – notably, in this case, Attorney General Jeff Sessions – while highlighting an apparent split with his own education secretary. (Betsy DeVos’ statement sounded like someone issuing an order in the opposite direction: “I consider protecting all students, including #LGBTQ students, not only a key priority for the Department, but for every school in America.”) This is hardly an issue that Trump himself seems to care about. But just weeks after we learned that Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner talked him out of a move to limit LGBTQ rights, this move sends a stronger message than anything that wasn’t done.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/note-cpac-kicks-off/story?id=45682465

1 person likes this

Posted

If you want to win more people to the cause, the argument that will be needed is that the mind and body are separate. At least with conservative Christians, this can be an opportunity to make you case. The good news is that the bible does not have anything on gender. This is based on a search of online concordances I have seen (granted that I just got started).The drawback is TG/TS/CD are viewed as a sexual fetish. The grain of truth to this is sissies in the BDSM community. When you successfully divorce TG/TS/CD from sissies, you will have your opportunity. This should also work with people who are not Christians.

I  know that I'm a recent convert here. Most of society focuses on the body, with 95 to 99% this is the case,  society is right. TG/TS are the 1 to 5% and unfortunately that puts a burden on the minority (to a degree) to respect the will of the majority. On the other hand, the majority also has a burden (on an equal degree) to tolerate the minority. Hence the bathroom issue. At least for the present time, it seems that successful gender presentation is import, until our argument is accepted. Reguardless, TG/TS has responsibility to speak up, and for the cisgender folk to respect TG/TS folk when they do. 

Posted

Allison Tate | February 24 2017 6:07 PM EST
"Governor Andrew Cuomo stated that Trump's transgender rollback has 'no force or effect' in New York state."  --advocate.com

Transgender Students Will Keep Protections in New York (Video)

2 people like this

Posted

Allison Tate | February 24 2017 6:07 PM EST
"Governor Andrew Cuomo stated that Trump's transgender rollback has 'no force or effect' in New York state."  --advocate.com

Transgender Students Will Keep Protections in New York (Video)

​We'll probably, and thankfully, continue to see strong blue states continue protections, while red states strip them. It's an unfortunately correlation.  I wish the republicans would wake up and realize harming minority citizens isn't a healthy platform, but I dont' think they have much else to sell to the masses.  So much of what they do is catered to making the already rich get richer and have less obligation to the country.

1 person likes this

Posted

COMMENTARY

Randi Weingarten | March 03 2017 5:34 AM EST
"Over the last eight years, we made great strides in expanding LGBTQ rights, enabling those of us who are gay to live our lives without fear or discrimination. But these days it feels as if our gains are all crashing down and we are moving back in time. On transgender rights, as with so many other rights and freedoms he is trying to restrict, Trump has shown that he’s captive to the worst instincts and divisive policies of his inner circle..."  -- advocate.com

Fighting Back Against Sessions's Trans Attack

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm so sorry, disappointed, hurt, and angry:

Supreme Court Won’t Hear Major Case on Transgender Rights

1 person likes this

Posted

So Drumpf has ROYALLY screwed us over, and the Supreme Court took the cowardly way out.

I hope they can all sleep well every time a trans kid has been beat up by mini-me bigots while their teachers stand idly by.

:angry:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

That's the bad news; maybe here is some good news about stepping in the right direction: 

Yelp Starts Tracking Gender-Neutral Bathrooms for Transgender Users

Quoted from The Times article:

"Yelp, the crowdsourced website that offers reviews of everything from restaurants to stores to churches, is adding a new way to filter its results: by the availability of gender-neutral bathrooms.

The new feature was announced on Friday, just one week after it was proposed, and represents Yelp’s latest foray into the fight for transgender rights. On Thursday, the company joined dozens of others, including Amazon, Gap, Intel and Yahoo, in signing on to a Supreme Court brief on behalf of Gavin Grimm, a transgender boy seeking the right to use school bathrooms that correspond to his gender identity.

“This isn’t the first time that we’ve spoken out about social issues, but this is the first time that we have married doing something on our platform around the social justice support of the L.G.B.T.Q. community,” said Rachel Williams, who leads the company’s diversity and inclusion efforts."

Edited by EmmaSweet
1 person likes this

Posted

In Gavin Grimm's own words (below, an opinion piece he published today in The Times). Impressive...

Gavin Grimm: The Fight for Transgender Rights Is Bigger Than Me

2 people like this

Posted

53% of Americans oppose laws restricting bathroom use by transgender people to their assigned sex at birth; 39% support such laws. Democrats and Independents are much more likely to oppose the laws; Republicans support them:

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2017/03/10/us/10reuters-usa-lgbt-poll.html?_r=0

1 person likes this

Posted

I hope they can all sleep well every time a trans kid has been beat up by mini-me bigots while their teachers stand idly by.

:angry:

Sadly... they probably *are* sleeping just fine. :(

2 people like this

Posted

I just read an article that there are still thousands of anti-gay conversion camps for teens being run int his country, and with Trump in charge I don't see that changing anytime soon.  Furthermore, I can only logically assume some of them also would do gender conversion therapy.  Despite reputable science affirming that it's not only ineffective, but absolutely harmful.  I had no idea there were still so many of them out there, I thought we'd at least gotten better on that front.  Nope.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Edited by EricaRavenwood

Posted

Education, Medication, Legislation...And Education. Part 2 to that last one I guess.

Posted (edited)

This is an open letter to the United States.

What started the modern transgender movement here in the United States? Does anyone even know what the original motivation of transgender people to create change in our societal system was? If you were to look at the behavior of the LGBT and it’s allies being a transgender person and are old enough to remember I think the answer would be no. The motivation was an extension in the personal treatment of gender dysphoria. Legislation that would make treatment easier to get in the US so the legitimate options didn’t exist only outside the US. Legislation that would make it easier or even possible to change identification to match a person’s gender. Legislative protections against discrimination so we could hold a job, rent a house or apartment, receive services and the things that people take for granted but could legally be denied us. The rest room was an extension of that as well. All we were looking for was legal use in another area that would help alleviate the miss match (gender dysphoria).

To me it seems that underlying motivation that started this is being ignored. Unfortunately it was never fully understood. The LGBT turned to lawyers to argue the cases. To argue the cases using cisgender definitions when speaking of a transgender need. It doesn’t take experiencing gender dysphoria. The one thing above all among transgender people that causes the highest suicide rate among that group. It does however require an understanding of it rather than just an acceptance that transgender people exist.

The reason we know Gender, a persons mind, and Sex, their physical body, are two separate things in all people is because treatments for a transgender person that work to bring those two things into alignment would bring things out of alignment for a cisgender person. To argue in a court of law that sex and gender are the same things, as they have been historically used from the cisgender viewpoint, is to kick the legs out from under the arguments that treatments are necessary and not simply cosmetic. If sex and gender are the same then treatments for gender dysphoria are not needed and therefore do not need to me covered by issuance. So thank you for working so hard to try to destroy, unintentionally, the basis of what we seek to change.

The LGBT and it’s allies are perusing this topic as if it’s the same as the topic of sexuality. They are using the same tactics. The only tactics you can use around the topic of sexuality. Acceptance. “Accept that it exists and get over it.” The topic of sexuality however is a single flag. Were the topic of transgender is a three legged stool, (Medication, Education and Legislation), that will only stand if all three legs are made strong. The treatment for sexuality is simply acceptance. He treatment for gender dysphoria crosses over distinctly, uniquely, into both the medical and mental health sectors. Name to me something else that in it’s treatment does that? You can’t, but once again the voice of transgender people are being silenced, as they always have been, and we are being told “Shut up. We got this.” As you take up the banners through your 501c’s believing your money makes up for your lack of understanding.

The Illinois ruling that came down from the federal government under the Obama administration was an incorrect one. Sex and gender are not the same things so the 1972 Gender Equality Law that was that used the old cisgender definitions of sex and gender can’t in reality be used as a clothe to wipe clean every aspect of the transgender topic. It can be used as the legislation was intended which was equal participation. Momentum was felt after that ruling and it seemed everyone in the LGBT and ally community were eager to line up behind it. Everyone but those in the transgender community who know better but are never listened to. Victory has outweighed the need for the original motivation that started all of this.

When I speak out in an effort to change your course I’m accused of my efforts being about just me. That if somehow my speaking out to correct a huge flaw in your course should be taken as a lack of support for the overall goals. The people who started shaking this monkey tree and getting things moving were not only seeing what would be beneficial to themselves but recognized that if fixed would be beneficial to those trying to navigate this very difficult path. Even though you are the larger group, I see this becoming about you and how the difficulties of others can be harnessed to benefit your organizations. I just wish you would stop and bare in mind why this was started and the goals we were trying to achieve.

Erica Elizabeth Ravenwood
#LGBTQ
Edited by EricaRavenwood