Woman says billboard's message slams gender equality

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Feb 23, 8:01 AM EST

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) -- Women are planning to protest a North Carolina billboard with a message they say is a slam on gender equality.

A billboard on a highway between Winston-Salem and Greensboro reads, "Real men provide. Real women appreciate it." Boutique owner Molly Grace tells news outlets in the area she sees the sign's message as an attempt to silence women who want to be seen as equals to men.

(This isn't trans specific, but any assault on human rights re: gender will have an impact on the community)

More here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BILLBOARD_PROTEST?SITE=SCAND&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&SECTION=HOME

Posted

I rather agree with the women who object.  There is an underlying clear message that men are still the providers and women are takers.  That if you're not a 'real man' if you're a co-provider of equal or lesser total to the house, or a house husband (and just like someone women are suited to house only life, so are some men and they shouldn't be shamed for caring for their houses and/or children anymore than women should!) and that you're not a 'real woman' if you want to go out and be something in the working world, take care of yourself, or are a main breadwinner or anything other than a 'taker' or 'receiver'.  That billboard makes me mad, and I am a housewife, by choice.  But I also spent the first 20 years of my life in various jobs, both peon and managing, retail and office.  I didn't love it, but I know a lot of women who do.  Just like I know a lot of men who would have preferred to be the 'house husband' but didn't because they felt it was morally wrong in some way because of how society structures gender roles. 

I personally feel we should just do away with gender roles entirely.  Make them individual roles that he, she, or they who best fits that role voluntarily chooses and let everyone be who they want to be, utilize their personal strengths, ambitions, and talents, and be happy and productive in whatever that is.  Breasts don't give a cleaning advantage, and penises don't give a money management advantage, it all comes from teaching and preparation of our children and society expectations that guide what we teach and prepare our young people for.  As gender equality increases, I've noticed the academic performance percentages differences are decreasing, because girls are getting the education and support to do well in the maths and sciences and aren't told they shouldn't.   Men are turning out to be as great with their children as the social expectation of the 50's dad who just does the work and watches tv all night and doesn't engage much with the children beyond some dinner conversation and weekend road trips has been done away with.  Surprise, any healthy adult human being can parent a child lovingly!  And yet a lot of men are still shamed for being good parents.  It's a crazy society we live in sometimes.

There is this real resistance to the idea we don't really NEED preconceived boxes to force people into, and could actually live up to the idea of freedom for all and let people choose their own ways in life.  There was a froot loop I think in Oregon who actually WON with serious misogynistic open behavior, "women are clearly inferior to men because their brains are physically smaller' was one gem, and "no woman ever has shown any sign of original thinking" was another.  And that dude WON!  Did they forget that we're all one species?  And all the contributions to our modern way of life from women?  Especially in the health areas?  *headdesk*  We need to let go of the idea that we're two separate species, and realize men and women are just two flavors of human with slightly different biological processes.  Men are smart, productive, and good people.  Women are smart, productive, and good people. That should be enough.  This power strugggle is just stupid, imagine what we could do if we all started really working together and focusing on the individual instead of preconceived 'roles' and 'limitations'.

Posted

Pictures and news video HERE

Posted

*still quietly raging in her corner*