5th Trans Woman Murdered in US this Year

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I still cannot, for the life of me, figure out why the murders of transgender poeple are NEVER immediately thought to be, believed to be, speculated that or suspected of being, a hate crime - only statements are made like (paraphrasing), "officials have not commented on whether the murder will be investigated as a hate crime," or "it's unknown if this will be concidered a hate crime," or "the murder is not being investigated as a hate crime at this time," etc., etc., etc..  Even in murders where their is unmistakable, viciously brutal over-kill, no one will even say, "this looks like a hate crime."   It's like they go total stupid about it.

I don't get it.

27 February 2017 | by Stefanie Gerdes
"At least one news station – New Orleans’ WWL-TV – misgendered her, and a number of others used Chyna’s dead name." --gaystarnews.com

Performer shot down in New Orleans is fifth trans woman to be killed in the US this year

1 person likes this

Posted

Because sometimes murder is just murder regardless of what the victim is, and they have to figure out if it it was because it was a transperson, or if it was because there was some sort of acrimony between them, mugging gone wrong, mistaken identity(weirdly this happens), insurance, a million motives.  They SHOULD be investigating motive to assess both the degree and if any or multiple hate crimes are involved before the charges are placed, or hate crime loses it's meaning and just starts to be any crime against minorities just gets that attached automatically and no conversations will be started anymore.  Also, I don't think it's technically a charge that can be applied until they have the suspect and start delving into their history and motivation.  It's an added charge after they have reason to believe that was the motive, and generally not brought into play until they start interrogating the suspect.  It's not technically it's own crime, so the police really don't have anything special to do in investigating other than history of aggression, harassment, or violence if any with transpersons and what the motive in this particular shooting is, and they typically look at pattern behavior like that with any suspect and his victim type.

I've seen multiple murders in the black community growing up on the east coast with the same feeling from the community, but it turned out to have NOTHING to do with the victim being black in a lot of them.  More than anything else it was either money or failed relationships, those seem to be people's two favorite reasons (but not only).

The time to put pressure on them is if the motive is ascertained to be about her trans status and the charge isn't applied.  

Understand I'm not defending the perpetrator, and if he did it because of the obvious then it should absolutely be brought into play.  I'm just saying, we don't know who did it, or why they pulled that trigger yet. And the obvious isn't always the reason the actual crime occurred.  It very well could be a hate crime because she was a transperson.  Or it could have been a teen looking for a score and free money, or an angry abusive ex.  Sadly in the us the number one danger to women both cis and trans is exes, and pregnant woman is the father whether he's a current or ex.  And that is a complicated mix of personal and societal fail.  We really need to start teaching our youth, both boys and females because we're seeing increasing violence over boys in girls now too, that no one ever owns anyone else, and it's never worth killing over. 

1 person likes this

Posted

"Because sometimes murder is just murder regardless of what the victim is, and they have to figure out if it it was because it was a transperson, or if it was because there was some sort of acrimony between them, mugging gone wrong, mistaken identity(weirdly this happens), insurance, a million motives."  -Bree

This is very true - sometimes it's just a murder.  My gripe is, while officials seem always quick to flirt with just a possibility of hate being involved in crimes against other non-TGLB people, I have yet to hear/read any news item about a murdered trans woman "possibly being a hate crime."  No conclusions.  No bottom lines.  Just a "possibility" that will be considered once all the facts are in.

I'm not suggesting they wear it out, or jump to such a conclusion and especially not to the point that after a while people desensitized to it.  But if they can make comments in passing upon first discovering other brutal crimes, they can do the same for a trans woman who's been brutally murdered, and in light of the fact that trans women seem always being murdered.  The possibility is ignored so often, that I can't help but believe it IS because the victim was trans.  I mean... what else can ya think when they won't even acknowledge a woman's gender identity?

1 person likes this

Posted

TWO MORE MURDERS

Trudy Ring | March 02 2017 10:16 PM EST
"Holland, who also used the name Jaquarrius Brown, was unemployed and lacked stable housing, friend Chesna Littleberry told the site. She often stayed with Littleberry, who said Holland was like a younger sister to her and taught her self-acceptance. “I’ve struggled with accepting myself and being who I am, and she always helped me with that," Littleberry told Mic. “I want her to rest peacefully.”" --advocate.com

Murders of Two More Trans Women Reported

1 person likes this

Posted

I knew it, having Trump and his administration has a negative media effect on transgender community, everybody has to stick up for themselves on their own, from immigrants to transgender folks.

1 person likes this