"I Want What I Want" by Geoff Brown

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A bit of interesting serendipity led me to this previously unheard of novel yesterday. First I found a movie on YouTube with this title, "I Want What I Want" and although I didn't see a description of the 1972 movie I assumed it had something to do with transgender/transexual topics and I was correct. Interestingly, the protagonist, a trans woman, is played by Anne Heywood early in her career. I haven't finished watching the movie yet: it's interesting and indeed amazing given the timeframe it was released and its subject matter. 

Here's a link to the movie on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPoePTH_X3M&t=1559s

It turns out that the movie was based on a book of the same title by a British writer named Geoff Brown. Unfortunately the book is out of print and I haven't been able to locate a copy. But I did find this very interesting write up about the book, the movie, and Geoff Brown:

The Hunt for Geoff Brown — Author of I Want What I Want

The author of the above (Willow Arune) wrote:

"What makes this book so very interesting is that it is the first — the very first – novel to deal in a realistic manner with a new minority then emerging — transsexuals."

Unfortunately the provided link to an on-line version of the book doesn't work. That said it will be fun to try to find it when perusing used bookstores!

P.S. I've just now finished watching the movie and, honestly, it's wonderful. No Oscar(s) sure, and it may have been better to have a transwoman play the part of Roy/Wendy instead of the beautiful Anne Heywood, but when I allowed myself to really enter the movie there was so much that Wendy expressed that feels so real for me. And let's not forget that this movie came out 45 years ago!

Edited by EmmaSweet
3 people like this

Posted

Pretty good movie.  I especially like the end when the Doctor called her "Miss Ross."

2 people like this