'Survivor' contestant outs fellow competitor as transgender

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Apr 13, 8:45 AM EDT

"Survivor" contestant Zeke Smith was outed as transgender by fellow competitor Jeff Varner on Wednesday night's episode of the CBS reality competition. The move has prompted online criticism and condemnation by a major LGBT rights group.

Varner made accusations of "a deception" before revealing that Smith is transgender on the episode . Varner was immediately criticized by other players. He repeatedly apologized, but was voted out of the competition.

Smith explained that he didn't mention that he was transgendered because he didn't want to be known as "the trans 'Survivor' player."

More here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TV_SURVIVOR?SITE=SCAND&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&SECTION=HOME

2 people like this

Posted

I'd say that guy just made his life difficult - at least for a while - until the next idiot in a spotlight does something ignorant.

2 people like this

Posted

I just watched it - we had recorded the episode - and although Zeke suffered a bit, I think it's terrific that this happened. What we saw is real life. On a reality show, Varner tried to raise himself by putting Zeke down, with not only no success but also rejection and awareness of everyone that his reality distortion doesn't make any sense or justify his action. And, although Varner tried to backpedal, even then his denial of what he did wasn't real. So, for many folks innocently watching Survivor, maybe this episode gives them something to think about. 

We all Zeke as a good young man, competing in a game, trying his best. Which is what all trans people want to do and be seen as. And Zeke could not have been more eloquent, articulate, or real. 

We (my ex-wife and I) really appreciated this slice of real life.

2 people like this

Posted

Survivor Contestant Who Outed Tribemate Zeke Smith as Transgender Fired From Job

By Dave Quinn April 15, 2017 at 3:09pm EDT

Survivor player Jeff Varner lost a lot more than the show’s $1 million dollar prize when he made the decision to out fellow tribemate Zeke Smith as transgender in an attempt to paint him as “deceitful” on Wednesday’s episode of the CBS reality competition.

His move, which caused outrage and backlash, not only cost the 50-year-old three-time player to be unanimously voted out of the game by his tribemates — but it also cost him his real-life job.

According to News & Record Greensboro, Varner was fired from his job as a real estate agent on Thursday — his now-former employer Allen Tate Realtors saying Varner was “in the middle of a news story that we don’t want anything to do with.”

It appears, from social media postings, that Varner had just began working for the company — having only posted his first acting listing with the company on April 7.

Prior to that, the openly gay North Carolina native had worked as news anchor for CBS and Fox affiliates.

More here: http://people.com/tv/survivor-jeff-varner-fired-from-real-estate-job-zeke-smith-transgender/

Posted

Here's an email I received yesterday from GLAAD:

On Wednesday, Survivor contestant Zeke Smith was outed as transgender by a fellow cast member who accused Zeke of being deceptive simply because he’d not told anyone about his gender history. The episode was a gut-wrenching look at the consequences of outing a trans person against his will.

GLAAD's Transgender Media Program worked with Zeke and CBS for several months to ensure that when the episode aired Zeke would have the opportunity to speak for himself about his experience. We worked to send a clear message that transgender people are not deceiving anyone by being their authentic selves, and it is dangerous and unacceptable to out a transgender person.

While this was a terrible situation, Zeke’s decision to work with CBS and GLAAD to turn it into a powerful, educational moment allowed viewers to see the strong support from Zeke’s tribe, and then even more support from Survivor fans around the world.

GLAAD’s Transgender Media Program needs your help to continue to do this necessary work to ensure that trans people are able to tell their own stories in the media. Can you donate now to help our team accelerate acceptance?

Posted

I came to post an update on Varner and found that Charlie beat me to it.  I had not read the whole article, the link for which was sent to me while chatting.  It wasn't until I started reading Charlie's post that I learned Varner IS GAY !

How messed up is that??  Of all Zeke Smith's tribemates...  A GAY MAN OUTED HIM.  A person that should KNOW better.

I just can't wrap my head around it...

And ya know... Smith wasn't being deceiptful - he was living as his true self.  If ever there is any deceipt, it's when a person has to pretend to be someone they are NOT exactly because of people like Varner.  I'd say the only deceipt there was in Varner claiming to be Smith's friend.  That is... if there is such a thing on that show.

:angry:

1 person likes this