6 posts in this topic

Posted

First-ever conviction on federal hate crime charges arising from the killing of a transgender woman

Jeff Amy, AP
GULFPORT, Miss. — May 15, 2017, 6:57 PM ET

"Demoya Gordon, attorney for the Transgender Rights Project of Lambda Legal, called the prosecution "significant" but noted it began under President Barack Obama's administration and added "the cake was already baked" on Vallum's sentencing when Donald Trump became president." -- abcnews.go.com

Man gets 49 years for anti-transgender hate crime killing

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

What a tragedy. I hope his life and punishment has meaning for those who might repeat his actions. Mostly, though, I wish that our memory of Mercedes Williamson remains and provides meaning to her short life.

P.S. If you believe it (and I don't) Sessions now promises to pursue more hate crimes such as this: https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/05/15/us/ap-us-transgender-hate-crimes-the-latest.html

Edited by EmmaSweet
2 people like this

Posted

This is so sad just brings tears in eyes.  Trans women should be extra careful in every aspect as in media, speaking for myself, to keep low profile and hush hush activities.  A lot of transgender folks who become fame in any way try to make it look like they achieved something but really it's enjoying things (certain) in moderation or down to earth approach.

1 person likes this

Posted

Emma and Mike,

Your pages are no longer available.

Monica

Posted

Thanks Monica -

Here are some new links:
Man gets 49 years for anti-transgender hate crime killing

Official says Justice will aggressively pursue hate crimes | WTOP  << this article doesn't mention hate crimes against the TGLB community, but instead repeatedly mentions religious hate crimes

I cannot find a comparable article to the one that Emma linked... so in the meantime ----

More reading on Session - see article that indicates he has fought AGAINST hate crime protections for TGLB victims

1 person likes this