Transgender Guide Message Board
olcharlie

Lawsuit: Effects of 'Bathroom Bill' Linger in North Carolina

A revised lawsuit says transgender people in North Carolina say are still effectively prevented from using restrooms matching their gender identity under a law that replaced the state's notorious "bathroom bill.".

July 21, 2017, at 12:48 p.m. By JONATHAN DREW, Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The law that replaced North Carolina's notorious "bathroom bill" sports a new look but maintains LGBT discrimination and prevents transgender people from using restrooms matching their gender identity, according to a lawsuit Friday.

The lawsuit renews a high-profile legal battle that has thrust North Carolina into the center of the national debate over LGBT rights. The state took the "bathroom bill" off the books in late March after a yearlong backlash that hurt North Carolina's reputation and caused businesses and sports leagues to back out of lucrative events and projects.

But lawyers from the American Civil Liberties Union and Lambda Legal said the replacement law, known as H.B. 142, continues the harms of its predecessor.

"Legislators were forced to rewrite the law," ACLU lawyer Chris Brook told reporters Friday. "But make no mistake ... H.B. 142 is a wolf in sheep's clothing crafted to keep discrimination intact but sporting a new look."

The compromise earlier this year between Republican legislative leaders and Democrats led by Gov. Roy Cooper eliminated the "bathroom bill" requirement that transgender people use restrooms in many public buildings corresponding to the sex on their birth certificates.

But the new law makes clear that that only the General Assembly — not local government or school officials — can make rules for public restrooms from now on. Local governments are also prohibited from enacting new nondiscrimination ordinances for workplaces, hotels and restaurants until December 2020.

More here: https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2017-07-21/apnewsbreak-lawsuit-says-bathroom-bill-effects-still-felt

A revised lawsuit says transgender people in North Carolina say are still effectively prevented from using restrooms matching their gender identity under a law that replaced the state's notorious "bathroom bill.".

July 21, 2017, at 12:48 p.m. By JONATHAN DREW, Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The law that replaced North Carolina's notorious "bathroom bill" sports a new look but maintains LGBT discrimination and prevents transgender people from using restrooms matching their gender identity, according to a lawsuit Friday.

The lawsuit renews a high-profile legal battle that has thrust North Carolina into the center of the national debate over LGBT rights. The state took the "bathroom bill" off the books in late March after a yearlong backlash that hurt North Carolina's reputation and caused businesses and sports leagues to back out of lucrative events and projects.

But lawyers from the American Civil Liberties Union and Lambda Legal said the replacement law, known as H.B. 142, continues the harms of its predecessor.

"Legislators were forced to rewrite the law," ACLU lawyer Chris Brook told reporters Friday. "But make no mistake ... H.B. 142 is a wolf in sheep's clothing crafted to keep discrimination intact but sporting a new look."

The compromise earlier this year between Republican legislative leaders and Democrats led by Gov. Roy Cooper eliminated the "bathroom bill" requirement that transgender people use restrooms in many public buildings corresponding to the sex on their birth certificates.

But the new law makes clear that that only the General Assembly — not local government or school officials — can make rules for public restrooms from now on. Local governments are also prohibited from enacting new nondiscrimination ordinances for workplaces, hotels and restaurants until December 2020.

More here: https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2017-07-21/apnewsbreak-lawsuit-says-bathroom-bill-effects-still-felt

​Well, if that's the gist of the new bill, then this new law might not be a bad thing.  It's been my understanding that the original bathroom bill was conceived & passed in  massive reaction-formation to the city of Charlotte passing a municipal ordinance which basically gave pretty much free access to whatever restroom one wanted to use.

Also, I've heard that some sort of public restroom law in Texas came into being secondary of some big-city school official making unilateral decisions about restrooms, locker & dressing rooms, and other stuff w/o consulting parents, teachers, school board members, etc. 

Analogous circumstances sometimes produce analogous consequences, I think.

I'm North of N Carolina now by 50 miles . I'm watching the Texas fiasco only because I contract to the Texas Historical society now and I used to own a Brick an Mortar manufacturing concern in Houston .

Personally , I'm worried as to just how "LEGAL " my Virginia permit is . Here , I'm female . Now in N Carolina and now in Texas , am I Female or just what ? I'm really unwilling to take a chance as I have charge of a Special needs son . How's it going to look when I'm visiting or doing a job and my son is with me and I'm hauled off by police for taking a Potty break ?

• Like 1

I can well imagine how unsettled all this is for you. You've got to always be you, no matter what. You're on the right side of the law using the ladies room, that's undeniable. 

Emma , under the soon to be signed Texas bill, that won't make a bit of difference . I can already see legal challenges as some states already allow Birth certificate amendments and Texas has already stated they will NOT recognize  any change .