Makeup Kits

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good makeup kit and bag has everything needed and what brands are good?

3 people like this

Posted

Hi Judy,

I suggest looking on Amazon. I looked there a couple of months ago and found lots to choose from, mainly targeting teenage girls, and provided lots of variety in terms of colors and all the rest. And they of course don't need to deal with things like beard cover.

There are some that are advertised for folks like us and I don't have experience with them but my sense is that they are not very high quality. 

Makeup is definitely a whole new world. I sure am intimidated when I look at the selections in a Walgreens for example. I also suggest looking on YouTube for videos where you can get ideas not only of brands and what you need but also how to apply to achieve the look you want. I'm no expert by any means but I did have a couple of makeovers a couple of months ago that increased my understanding tremendously. She also sold me a big bag's worth of things including brushes and all that - probably for a lot more than she paid - but it's a start. I've started applying it myself and then of course making mistakes. That's how we learn anything. I've also been much more observant of women around me, looking at how they apply their makeup especially if it's what I like - which is minimal. 

Hope this helps!

Emma

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks for great advice I will just that

3 people like this

Posted

Thanks for your advice however now I have another question, what goes into doing your makeup like foundation, blush, eye shadow, mascara and lipstick,

anything else?

3 people like this

Posted

Judy,

There is a lot, and I'm really learning too. There's the eyebrow pencil, eyeliner, contour colors (to add shading and highlights, such as to narrow the nose or add cheekbones), color correction such as orange for beard, green to cancel under eye purple color, also overall powder, and the overall primer before anything is put on, and eye primer. What a chemistry set, and the colors are selected for your skin tones and the look you want to achieve. Then there are the makeup removers, skin cleanser, and skin conditioners. 

I received a pretty good lesson at a crossdressing service and then added what I thought I needed. And then this week I was at the Gender Odyssey conference in Seattle and bought three more potions. They gave me some instructions that I carefully wrote down and added to my one checklist of what I need to do to prepare. 

There are lots of YouTube videos but I had trouble having patience with them. I think one on one instruction is ideal where you apply the makeup, take notes, and experience what works and how to fix problems. I've been told that Nordstroms is very trans friendly and you can get a makeover there with no obligation. I may try that one of these days.

Start trying to do it and allow yourself time to make mistakes and improve. It's an art, not a science.

Emma

3 people like this

Posted

What I've learned is to get a make over by a professional, have them figure out the best shades for you for your eyes and face. The higher end makeup is much better than what you purchase in regular super markets and such.

I settled on a brand called Benefit after having several makeovers done but that does not mean this brand is good for you.

Many cross dressers are afraid to have this done but the professionals who do this are perfectly fine doing a cross dresser, all you should be concerned with is the customers and most times they are a non-issue from stories I've listen too, me, never had any issues.

3 people like this

Posted

Personally, when I started out I found videos by Stephanie Lange on YouTube (she's Australian, now based in Ireland). These aren't specifically for trans people, but I found her easy to follow (I mainly found her because I have "hooded eyes," and she's done a number of videos on that specifically.

If it's a possibility (and I know it's not always), ask female friends (trans or cis). I was fortunate that I have a good friend who is obsessed with make-up. I think when I came out as trans to her all she heard was "make-up shopping buddy!" It was a little hard at first - she knows it all so well and I barely knew the basics, but over time I picked it up :-)

Beyond that, it just takes experimenting and practice! I've found that the brands at drugstores and such is perfectly fine, especially if that's where your budget it (as mine is! I'd love to go to Sephora, but I can't afford it).

3 people like this

Posted

Thanks for your input, today I bought some makeup LA Colors very cheap and I am going to try them out tonight.

3 people like this

Posted

The thing to be careful with general makeup kits that are sold is, they are very vague colors chosen that will work with MOST purchasers.  However, skin tones and facial features as well as skin tolerances (not all makeup is creating equally healthy) vary greatly.  I highly recommend going with Karen's suggestion and going to one of the big stores that do the makeovers (even if you don't buy anything, you can still learn a lot of technique and see the shades that will work well).  Also, if you locate a Mary Kay seller, and are willing to deal with the often somewhat heavy handed sales pitches, you can have this done in the privacy of your own home, although skill of the individual seller may vary.  

Another great way to look up technique is youtube.  There are a PLETHORA of makeup how twos that cover just about everything from general to specific looks how-tos.  :)  Good luck!

3 people like this

Posted

I have a list of steps I go through. I'm constantly editing it but maybe it will help:

1. Primer

I have an overall primer called "Velvet Finish" that I'm told really helps provide a foundation for the foundation. Its presence also helps removing the makeup later.  I also apply an eye shadow primer from Sephora.

2. Foundation

I first apply a beard cover from Mehron in a light august color (kind of orange). Orange is used to cancel out the blue cast of the beard. After that, I apply an overall coat of Mehron 'neutral buff'. Last, I dust on some face powder all over with a big soft brush.

3. Contours

This is where I apply shadows and highlights, such as along the sides of my nose (shadow) and highlight along the top, to make it appear a little more narrow. You can do this wherever you think you want to emphasize or deemphasize areas. For example, below the cheekbones. I then apply some light blush on the cheekbones.

4. Eyes

I color in my eyebrows since my hair is pretty gray with an eyebrow pencil. A darker shade/color of eye shadow is applied to the lids and up to the outside corners below the brows. Light eye shadow below the eyebrows to fill in. Then apply an eyeliner to the edge of the eyelids, right next to the base of the eye lashes. I add a green color contour shade under my eyes where that purple is often found. (Green cancels purple.) Finally, I apply mascara to the upper and lower eye lashes.

5. Lips

Grab a lipgloss or lipstick, maybe outline your lips, and toss them into your purse in case needed later. I do tap kleenex onto my lips to reduce the shine a little.

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks so much for your great advice and instructions on those topics and tips``

4 people like this

Posted

Wow! So many great recommendations in this thread alone. I will be taking note of these for future reference. Thank you so much, everyone! :)

3 people like this