anesthetic creams Need advice re: anesthetic cream so I can use Epilady on my face to get rid of beard

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, I am Lisa from Ohio.  I am thinking about transitioning.  First step is to get rid of beard.  Cannot afford electrolysis nor laser.  My beard is EXTREMELY coarse, also it is growing in grey/white.  Even an extremely close shave would end up giving me away as a male 🙁  This may not be the appropriate place on this site to be asking this question, if it is not the right place, sorry.  Could someone move it to the right spot?  My internist will NOT prescribe a prescription anesthetic cream such as EMLA, Xylocaine/Lidocaine cream, etc., to help with the pain of using an Epilady on my beard for whatever reason.  I am stuck getting stuff from Amazon, etc.  I looked on Amazon and there are all sorts of Lidocaine 4% preparations, and other things that seem like they may help.  I know there's going to be pain and redness anyhow, but in the biz of transitioning, unf., there's just a lot of pain, anyhow.  I was hoping one of my new sister friends here at TG hub could recommend something that I am not going to be able to get from a physician but I can get on Amazon or Walmart.com, etc.  There are TONS of preparations of Lidocaine, Prilocaine, I think Xylocaine, etc. on Amazon, for instance.  Some of them are affordable, more or less, and some of them are costly.  I am a broke TG, like a lot of the rest of us, so I would like a "good value"cream.  I would like to apply it under occlusion (I have a wet dry Epilady) and then I guess a good half hour after having it on my face under occlusion with saran wrap, just step in the shower and use the Epilady until i cannot stand it anymore.  I know it will hurt anyway and will cause redness but ladies there just is no best solution.  you have to put up with the pain and the redness.  Then once you've got it all plucked out with the Epilady, it slowly but surely becomes easier as when it regrows, it's finer, and the more you do it, the easier and less stressful to the facial skin it becomes.  In the old days, I used to use hot wax to wax off the beard and THEN use the Epilady, which worked like a charm, but I JUST JUST cant tolerate the pain of waxing - it's HORRIFIC!  It's DEMEROL pain, especially under the top lip and under your chin to your throat.  If anyone can make a recommendation re: which anesthetic cream (nonprescription) that is obtainable online, preferably Amazon, I would be most appreciative.  I am trying to expedite things and getting rid of my beard from the root is toward the top of my bucket list.  I know that gals have different priorities and rates of doing things, but this my own personal "thing" that I want to do first, I hope you understand.  PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL OF YOU - and again, if this is in the wrong place, I am sorry, I am a newbie, you are welcome to redirect this question to another part of this site.  Love, Lisa.

1 person likes this

Posted

Lisa,

I don't have direct experience but from what I've heard you're asking for the Holy Grail. For me it's electrolysis, slow, painful, but effective.

Emma

2 people like this

Posted

Hi, I am Lisa from Ohio.  I am thinking about transitioning.  First step is to get rid of beard.  Cannot afford electrolysis nor laser.  My beard is EXTREMELY coarse, also it is growing in grey/white.  Even an extremely close shave would end up giving me away as a male 🙁

​There is nothing that will assist other than electrolysis with coarse facial hair. You might (and this is a long shot) search for schools in your area that teaches electrolysis, see if they would use you for teaching (might be more painful with newbies).

Another thought, when I was having electrolysis done I paid $40 per hour while in the next major city the cost jumped to $80 to $120 per hour. With that, if possible explore options in other close by cities.

2 people like this

Posted

Hi Lisa!  I'm also from Ohio, I'm one of the spouses.  :) 

​Until you can find a solution for the elecdtrolosys, may I recommend some time watching youtube videos?  Nikki has extremely dark beard growth (in odd patterns) and after a close shave with the help of some peach concealer (and this is where color theory comes in, you use the 'opposite color' concealer, like I have red blotches on my face so use green for example, his beard growth is dark so it's peach) and then put foundation over it, and it's amazing what it can hide.  :)  There are trans-specific videos on youtube for hiding beard growth with makeup that are very good. I'm ​not sure what color for white, but perhaps the gray might also do well with the peach.  While this isn't perfect I hope it may be of some help to you in the meantime of a more permanent solution.  And perhaps you could ask some of the makeup artists in the comments for assistance with the coloration specifics if you can't find one that fits your colors. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Lisa, I'm on a similar track re. Anaesthetic creams. Im currently trying a cream called LMX4, which i bought from amazon. 

I tried it today for the first time.

I spread about 5cm of cream on one cheek and under the chin. I left it on for about 50 mins, then wiped off with a baby wipe.

The good news is that my cheek became very numb. The bad news is that epilating was still quite painful, and I could only tolerate a few minutes worth! Which removed only about half the hairs.

My cheek hair is quite sparse, and probably the least painful area - i suspect chin and upper lip will be a lot more painful. 

Im going to try again - I'll probably apply the cream twice to see if the numbness is increased. This usually works at the dentist, so i'm hoping  it will help using the LMX cream.

I'll let you know my progress.

Good luck

Josie.x

>'.'<

1 person likes this

Posted

Had a belated thought, they have several creams...meh I forget the word, Nair is one brand of the creams, that actually dissolve the hair.  While it will grow back, the advantage of...Oh I remember!  Depilatory!  Dipilatory creams. There are several that are formulated specifically for the face, including ones specifically made for coarse beard hair on the market, and they dissolve the hair slightly under the skin, so you get really smooth skin that lasts longer than shaving no matter what area you use it on, face, legs, arms, underarms, whatever.  (make sure you get the ones specifically for the face though, this is one of the products where it's not okay to fudge and use one tube for all areas)  It's not perfect, but it might be a useful stopgap solution until you can access electrolysis.  It doesn't last as long as epilating, BUT it's painless (possibly a bit itchy depending on your skin unless you are allergic then obviously ignore this post, but I find it weirdly tingly-itchy without it being a reaction, my friend feels nothing, etc) and can be repeated as necessary without damaging the skin.  Usually my skin feels better after I use them than it did before, I think they superload them with moisturizers now.  

This is an opinion and not objective scientific fact, but I think the depilatory creams are safer and gentler for the skin of the face than epilating, it doesn't tear at the skin the way yanking hair out does.  And I'm a firm personal believer in no pain.  :)

2 people like this