California Troops Sue Trump Administration Over Transgender Ban

1 post in this topic

Posted

A pair of transgender California residents who have taken steps to join the armed forces and a group of four military service members are filing a lawsuit on Tuesday against President Donald Trump that aims to block his order banning transgender people from joining the armed forces.

Their lawsuit, backed by the advocacy group Equality California, is the fourth legal challenge to Trump's Aug. 25 directive prohibiting transgender people from joining the military and banning military healthcare plans from funding sex-reassignment surgeries.

The plantiffs in the new lawsuit include Aiden Stockman, 20, of Yucca Valley, who has identified as a transgender male since the eighth grade; and Tamasyn Reeves, 29, who first attempted to join the Navy when she was blocked by the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy that banned gay people from serving openly in the military.

Stockman had been preparing to enlist in the Air Force and worries that Trump's order will prevent him from joining the military. He delayed enlisting last year because he wanted to complete a double mastectomy before joining the Air Force, the lawsuit says.

"I'm in physical good shape, nothing will hold me back from excelling in a branch, it bums me out," he told the TV station KMIR in July after Trump's wrote on Twitter that he would ban transgender people from the military.

More here: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/09/06/california-troops-sue-trump-administration-transgender-ban.html

1 person likes this