Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trans Women Storming the Political Arena

6 posts in this topic

Posted

In at least two places in the country, people have beat out homophobes, haters, and just run-of-the-mill sheeple -

A woman in VA wins an election over an incumbent homophobe who brags about being Virginia's "chief homophobe," and "earlier this year introduced a 'bathroom bill' that died in committee."  That woman, Danica Roem, an openly transgender democrat and local journalist.

AND, wait for it --- THERE'S MORE....

In Minneapolis, Andrea Jenkins won in a race for City Council, representing the city's Eighth Ward.  She was endorsed by the Minneapolis Star Tribune, and she beat out three other candidates for the seat.   She was also endorsed by the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party.

Also, two other TGLB people are running for seats in Minneapolis - Phillipe Cunningham (trans man) and Jillia Pessenda (cisgender lesbian).  The results of their races were not in a the posting of this news.

3 people like this

Posted

I am just getting ready to post about this important development, on our Facebook page. There are others running in other races around the country. This is great visibility, and an opportunity to make real progress. :) 

1 person likes this

Posted

This is great visibility, and an opportunity to make real progress. :) 

​Hate never wins in the long run.  Trump et al won the hearts and minds of many disparate groups (even including many women) and are now seeing not only the impossibility of Trump's promises but also his lies.  My hope is that Mueller and Congress are able to hold Trump and his administration in check for the next three years. Next year with the Congressional elections and in three years I believe we're really going to see the pendulum swinging back toward rationality, awareness, and equality for all.

1 person likes this

Posted

UPDATE -

Three more trans women have snagged elected positions:

Raven Matherne - Stamford's Board of Representatives
Stephe Koontz - Doraville, GA City Council
Lisa Middleton - Palm Springs, CA City Council

2 people like this

Posted

Wow! Yahoo!!!

Posted

I'm not sure how or why the links were the same for all three women in my update above... but I've fixed them. 

And while I'm at it, I hate to say anything to over-shadow the wins of people from our community...  but, I was a tad disappointed that these accomplishments didn't seem to get much coverage in mainstream news.  Talkshow hosts sure jumped on it though... they thoroughly enjoyed that karma jumped up and bit many haters in the posterior!

2 people like this